Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 10-28-2017, 02:52 PM
Senior Fellow

Default surf rod

got a St Croix MOJO 10 1/2 ft last year which I really like with my Van Staal; looking to get something that might give me a little more distance when needed; any suggestions? please keep ideas under $1000; jk but don't want to spend a fortune
Old 10-28-2017, 03:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: surf rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
got a St Croix MOJO 10 1/2 ft last year which I really like with my Van Staal; looking to get something that might give me a little more distance when needed; any suggestions? please keep ideas under $1000; jk but don't want to spend a fortune
Bill, if you can't reach what your fishing for with 10 1/2, you might need one of those surf cannons. Or fish with us, there at our feet
Old 10-28-2017, 03:19 PM
Senior Fellow

Im ready next week; attach a Mag Darter to my waders and just walk in the wash
Old 10-28-2017, 06:01 PM
SS/Veteran

Bill, I've been seeing some banter about RH Customs surf series. 10'6", 2pc, 1-4 just under $400. Just snapped off my 2nd SC Legend top on a cast, so I'm a bit soured on that line. Been using a Century S1 Stealth, it's very nice--launches a mile, but at a price point north of $500. Also, take a look at Lamiglas, they always made some decent rods. Take advantage of those manufacture's casting demonstration days. In the end it's going to depend on your style and what you like to throw.
I will have the Legend back soon, plus a GSB1201M or the Stealth if you want to try them out.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:03 PM

Bought an 11 foot one piece RH Vapor trail last spring. This thing is a beast.
A vs150 does fair on it but my zb 25 is a perfect match.
I have the same rod in a 2 piece and it's a totally different casting rod. Its still good bit the 1 piece I feel casts better.
Used the 1 piece was 400 the 2 piece I grabbed for 250
Old 10-28-2017, 09:32 PM
SS/Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLBI View Post
Bill, I've been seeing some banter about RH Customs surf series. 10'6", 2pc, 1-4 just under $400. Just snapped off my 2nd SC Legend top on a cast, so I'm a bit soured on that line. Been using a Century S1 Stealth, it's very nice--launches a mile, but at a price point north of $500. Also, take a look at Lamiglas, they always made some decent rods. Take advantage of those manufacture's casting demonstration days. In the end it's going to depend on your style and what you like to throw.
I will have the Legend back soon, plus a GSB1201M or the Stealth if you want to try them out.
I've had 2 ,SC's blow up on me. One was a 2 piece top and they wouldn't replace it without payment. Needless to say I've switched makers.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:59 PM
Administrator

I find there is not 1 or even 2 rods that will cast everything in your bag to it's max distance.
Each rod will have a sweet spot depending on the weight & aerodynamics of the lure.
A SP Minnow and a 3oz popper are not going to cast well from the same rod from what I have seen.
I have also found IMO if you try to push the cast to hard, you ultimately end up not casting as far as you would have with a nice smooth cast letting the rod do the work.

And then we go into guide placement, line size and last but not least the reel.
As NJ Dave said he noticed a difference depending on the reel, which says not all reels cast the same.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 10-29-2017, 06:27 AM
SS/Veteran

In this thread is plenty info . Just to add a lot of surfcasters use braided line well over what is needed I just don?t go over 20 lb line Ohero braid has one of the smallest diam. In the market . It gives you an advantage in casting distance . If needed you can tie any floro leader you need up to #40 if you want to go more say 50lb then change your knot to San Diego Knot Jam
Old 11-01-2017, 09:38 AM

Bill make sure you are using the correct rod rating for what you are throwing.
St Croix tends under rate their rods so if you trying to throw SP minnows, mag darters or any small lures with that rod you wont be casting far.

Im willing to bet your rod would be great with 3oz.

My main 2 rods are rating 1/2 to 2oz and 1 to 4oz. Both are 9'. When casting SP's and smaller lures with my 1/2 to 2oz rod i get almost double as far then when i use the 1 to 4oz. Now when im throwing 2-3 oz the 1-4 excels.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:10 AM

Bill, ive been reading this thread for a bit and thought I would throw my 2 cents in here. ive been casting a 9ft tica fior about 6 years now and last fall I stripped it down and put a 30 set of microwave guides on it. I am serious when I tell you I threw it at a local soccer field with a 2 oz weight and the original guides, then replaced the guides and tried it again. without exaggeration it throws about 25 yards further and does it with less effort. im using a penn 4500ssv. if I try to really heave it I don't get the distance I get with a nice smooth cast. less effort and it will throw much lighter stuff. ive built a number of rods with these guides since and the guys love them. I did a 10ft lamiglass for a guy with a 50 set and he can throw anything from 1/2 ounce to 3 ounces and he says he could never get the distance hes getting now. if you have an older rod that you want to try these guides on I can put them on for you. im not trying to sell anything here and im strickly a hobby builder. if you buy the guides I will gladly put them on for you free of charge. call me 973-886-7573