Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 11-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Senior Fellow

Default Re: November & December Fishing Reports 2017

grumpys weighed in some nice fish; I know the 50lb was a boat fish but where were the others from; no one I know saw anything so were these just random bursts? getting hard to know where to fish; I'm going early Monday and I guess i will start south; looking in the tea leaves
Old 11-19-2017, 08:29 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
grumpys weighed in some nice fish; I know the 50lb was a boat fish but where were the others from; no one I know saw anything so were these just random bursts? getting hard to know where to fish; I'm going early Monday and I guess i will start south; looking in the tea leaves
Find Lockjaw and you'll find the fish
Old 11-19-2017, 08:38 AM
Senior Fellow

Grumpys and B & Ns note bigger blues showing up; nice way to ease the pain
Old 11-20-2017, 12:32 PM
SS/Insider

Pardon this rant. This has been a frustrating fall for me. Lots of hours, very few fish. And if you find bait, you get the company of 100 boats parked within spitting distance of the beach, putting the bunker down. How is that fun? You might as well be fishing on the Cross Bronx Expressway.
I was also thinking that if I'm looking at 100 boats, and they follow the fish from place to place, and each boat has at least 2 guys, and each guy takes a fish out the water, that's 300 bass....in just a few hours, on just one day. Not even counting the party boats.
Seems untenable to me.

Ok I'm done. Sorry. Just had to vent.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:36 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

... and THAT's why guys fish at night....
Old 11-20-2017, 01:18 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesrule View Post
Pardon this rant. This has been a frustrating fall for me. Lots of hours, very few fish. And if you find bait, you get the company of 100 boats parked within spitting distance of the beach, putting the bunker down. How is that fun? You might as well be fishing on the Cross Bronx Expressway.
I was also thinking that if I'm looking at 100 boats, and they follow the fish from place to place, and each boat has at least 2 guys, and each guy takes a fish out the water, that's 300 bass....in just a few hours, on just one day. Not even counting the party boats.
Seems untenable to me.

Not to mention our stomping grounds being off limits. Jim I feel your pain
Old 11-20-2017, 01:34 PM
Senior Member Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
... and THAT's why guys fish at night....

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 11-20-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Pardon this rant. [i]f I'm looking at 100 boats, and they follow the fish from place to place, and each boat has at least 2 guys, and each guy takes a fish out the water, that's 300 bass....in just a few hours, on just one day. Not even counting the party boats.
Seems untenable to me.

I am not being critical of our floating friends, as they also love to fish and spend a "boatload" of money on boats and gear, but I think that leveling the playing field is something that is at least worthy of discussion, both for the benefit of the fishery, and the benefit of the sport.

As I understand it, trolling for stripers is really putting a dent in the fishery. The lure is in the water without interruption, the boats cover great distances, and are often equipped with a fish finder. Those are some pretty big advantages over those in the lowly surfcaster's club (of which I am a proud member). Rather than talk about reducing bag limits, or slot fish or the like, should we consider banning trolling for stripers? Just a thought.

Again, no offense to our floating friends.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Seems untenable to me.

As a boater, kayaker, and surf fisherman (admittedly not much of the last two lately) I feel your pain. When the bait gets concentrated like that tight to the beach some of the boats can be real douche bags not only to surf casters but to other boaters as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheM View Post
I am not being critical of our floating friends, as they also love to fish and spend a "boatload" of money on boats and gear, but I think that leveling the playing field is something that is at least worthy of discussion, both for the benefit of the fishery, and the benefit of the sport.

As I understand it, trolling for stripers is really putting a dent in the fishery. The lure is in the water without interruption, the boats cover great distances, and are often equipped with a fish finder. Those are some pretty big advantages over those in the lowly surfcaster's club (of which I am a proud member). Rather than talk about reducing bag limits, or slot fish or the like, should we consider banning trolling for stripers? Just a thought.

Again, no offense to our floating friends.
Nobody will argue that trolling is effective but there are plenty of other ways to kill a bass and ultimately that is the issue right? I would say more big bass were killed this fall on snag & drop than on trolling. At least with trolling a safe release can be practiced by those who choose to do 99% of the time (no gut hooking). With snag and drop it's a meat game....bound to gut/gill hook a few with trebles and live bait.

In the end, it's a size/bag limit issue, not a trolling issue. NJ is the only state that allows fisherman to keep more than one bass per day per person. 1 @ 28-43", 1 @ 43"+ and for party boats/charters a bonus fish.

It would be interesting to see a "per vessel" limit introduced like they do with bluefin tuna.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:25 PM

Living here in FL I have to say the fishery is much better managed. As far as feeding a family on your catch it ain't happening but the primary inshore species snook and redfish are STRICTLY regulated and seem to be pretty healthy stocks. Both are 1 fish limit within a slot and snook season is closed for several months a year.
Why you are ever allowed to keep a bass over 35 inches I'll never understand.
The breeders are the future. I do have to say it's unfair to chastise surf or boat fisherman for keeping the legal limit. Change the regulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2017, 06:29 PM

Some boat people keep the 40s to justify the $200 in gas they burned for the day...as some surf guys need to justify the $1200 rod/reel combo...i don't keep fish because I prefer the look on a meat hunters face when I casually release that 32" bass back to its home I remember a day in the spring when I had 60 knuckleheads on either side of me throwing bait at a spot I knew would have fish at a certain time...threw out my offering a little further than everyone else and proceeded to pull two 26" bass and a keep and released all after a quick check on the rod to confirm size... while people looked at me in disbelief as not one other person on that beach had a fish...like how dare u release those fish...packed up my $hit waited 30 min or so without seeing anyone else catch...satisfied with those three fish got in my truck and left...best feeling...if I need to eat striper ill go pick up a fillet at wegmans it's cheaper
Old 11-20-2017, 07:15 PM
SS/Veteran

All of this reminds me of the slaughter at IBSP a few years ago, not by boaters, but by us the surf guy. It was sickening, but I stayed up north. I can't take the Crowds, enjoyed a few fish.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:25 PM
Senior Fellow

answer might be to shut down the stripers for a couple of years; I like that Fisherman Mag did not have stripers in the contest this year; fished all day Lavalette to Sea Bright with stops all along the way; saw a few small schoolies and heard of a few more; don't know what to expect
Old 11-20-2017, 10:17 PM

I wonder how much more pressure the stripers can take. They were slaughtered at the canal this summer. So many fishing from land and sea here right now that there is no way to know when enough is enough. It's not like we have a reporting system of any merit. We will only know when we are forced to stop altogether.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:35 AM
Senior Fellow

remember 25-30 years ago when they were not to be found; this needs a serious conversation....which means of course to keep the Gov't out of it!!!!!