Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 11-23-2017, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Striper Action

Allowing netting in Maryland's portion the Chesapeake Bay hurts striper population from NJ and southwards.

Perhaps even more counter productive is the menhaden processing plant that is just inside the Virginia portion of the Chesapeake Bay. The company ( Omega 3) lobbies the governor's office and the Virginia state legislature very heavily (lots of money).
Old 11-23-2017, 10:59 AM
Senior Fellow

does anyone know what happened with the effort to assess menhaden from the larger perspective of just not it's singular population but as the food source for much of the species in the Atlantic? read it in the last Fisherman mag that it would result in increasing the goal for the biomass (whatever that is??) meaning increase the bunker population beyond current target; I will be contacting the Magazine to let them know we are working on ideas for SOS (Save our Stripers)...and Happy Thanksgiving to all
Old 11-23-2017, 11:11 AM
SS/Insider

Happy Thanksgiving, and let's keep this going.
I contacted Stripers Forever and asked them for suggestions. Will report back.
And to the doubters regarding declining fish numbers, it seems hard to deny that more phones on the beaches & more boats with more sophisticated fish finders in the water later and later every year & more fishermen isn't going to have a detrimental impact.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:19 PM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

You should all go to Lake Mead, the limit is 20 per day, no size restriction last I was there. State record was 68lbs...

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:44 PM

How bout this for a crazy idea. Stripers cannot be harvested from any vessel. Strictly catch and release. If you want to keep 2 fish it must be caught from sand, jetty, or pier. I'm ready
Old 11-24-2017, 09:07 PM

1 fish limit and do not open the season till May 15th
drain the swamp
Old 11-29-2017, 09:54 AM

Strict slot limit ~28-32". no landing of fish on boats that are not able to be kept as long as they can be unhooked in the water. no hefting of large fish for glory photos. the worst thing for a heavy fish is to be held out of the water squishing its guts while the prideful fisherman grins. but that is probably too much to ask....
Old 11-29-2017, 10:06 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsnowblind View Post
Strict slot limit ~28-32". no landing of fish on boats that are not able to be kept as long as they can be unhooked in the water. no hefting of large fish for glory photos. the worst thing for a heavy fish is to be held out of the water squishing its guts while the prideful fisherman grins. but that is probably too much to ask....
no, it's not... there are other fisheries where it is required that fish not be removed from the water (NJ used the language "illegal to land" even though it is NOT enforced most times AFAIK)

They are trying to educate anglers on Flounder C&R, all fisheries management need to educate anglers about Striped Bass C&R

NJ's "language" for some species:
Prohibited Species
It is illegal to take, possess, land, purchase, or sell
any of the following species:
Old 11-29-2017, 10:33 AM
SS/Veteran

[quote=gbsnowblind;2431600]Strict slot limit ~28-32". no landing of fish on boats that are not able to be kept as long as they can be unhooked in the water. no hefting of large fish for glory photos. the worst thing for a heavy fish is to be held out of the water squishing its guts while the prideful fisherman grins. but that is probably too much to ask....[/QUOTE

Just to add maybe you forgot to mention the NJ guys can?t take pictures of their bass covered in sand ? Or is that the PA guys at IBSP ?
Old 11-29-2017, 12:42 PM

One fish between 28-32 is a great idea. I have to say though, there comes a point if you put too many restrictions, there's no point to even trying to catch the species.
If you're really concerned about harming a fish, the best thing to do for the species is not fish for them. I mean what's it going to come to no hooks allowed while fishing?
They do have a law in FL no removing tarpon from the water over 40 inches. That wouldn't be a terrible idea but how do you unhook a thrashing striper from a jetty with waves crashing on you?
Old 11-29-2017, 01:18 PM

A lot of suggestions followed by how it would not work. I hope this thread gets legs along with some affirmative actions.
Just read that the Coast Guard is attempting to enforce the three mile limit for bass fishing. I believe we all agree that more bass are taken from boats than the surf. And, when we look from the beach we see boats close in to (perhaps) as far as 2.9999 miles out. Why not reduce the three mile limit to say one mile, for a few seasons?
Old 11-29-2017, 01:31 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I can say affirmatively (though not from personal experience) that the coasties do enforce the 3 mile limit in south jersey, since so many of the bass follow a depth contour with the bait that takes them beyond the demarcation line.

Every year a few boats get busted.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:47 PM

Not being disrespectful, but, as with most threads, that die, no one stays on topic.
The topic is actions that might be taken to address the dwindling striper population. It's wonderful that the coast guard does in fact enforce the three mile limit, but, again, how does that address new measures to preserve striped bass?
To-date, how many, feasible, attainable, and practical, recommendations have been made on this thread that could have a significant impact on the future of bass?
Old 11-29-2017, 07:45 PM
SS/Veteran

I read a interesting thread on another site, I don't usually tell people to look elsewhere but this a serious issue with the bass, not just fisherman keeping big breaders, but with a disease that is killing the young of the year. The disease is Mycobacteriosis. The gentlemans name is RJ, the thread is titled, One Mans Concern For The Future Of Striped Bass. With out mentioning the site, I guess you could do a search and find it. We are quick to blame the boat guys, or the Nike/sweatpant lurkers running to the beach when there is a report of big fish, it's easy to point fingers, but hard to look in the mirror. We can all practice c&r, but if there's something killing the fish before they get a chance to grow, that's going to be the toughest challenge.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:33 PM
Senior Fellow

Art...as the person who started this thread my interest was two fold; one, is there a genuine concern about stripers that would lead people to suport actions; and two, to solicit ideas we can communicate. I don't think is "another thread that will die" and I value comments even if they just indicate another member who is concerned. Not to be disrespectful, but I value the concerns raised my members and value their ideas. Have not found anyone to be off topic. I want to stay positive and am contacting individuals to see where the ideas can be sent/expressed