Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:34 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Enforcement -- Fish and Game?

What have been your experiences with Conservation Officers? I could fill a book.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Enforcement -- Fish and Game?

While doing a pretty good job on the bass in the Housy, decent fish and all released, Our neighbors were flying the skunk flag. After a while they left not exactly pleased. Soon after the D E P comes down and says that they heard we had a bunch of shorts in our backpack . C'mon . They laughed too . We should have said that they all got filleted behind the dunes . One more . Actually found a stretch of river to work by myself during the king run on the Salmon river (amazing) . After letting my best fish of the morning swim away the D E C storms out of the woods demanding an " equipment check" . They apologized . I was fishing legit and the boys in the big hole were lifting like Jack Lalane .Year before a Buddy got taken to the courthouse for keeping a Coho that was hooked in the Throat . After going to Pulaski for so many years I can't take it any more . As an aside I have had nothing but good experiences with the U S C G and the Hatteras N P S. Some are bricks but most are just doing their job like us all
Old 02-27-2018, 10:39 AM

Last year, after a spectacular day of albie fishing on my boat, as I pulled away from the group of other boats that were on the blitz, I noticed a boat heading in my direction. Though it was just another boat coming over to get in on the breaking fish. When i changed course they followed. As they closed in I saw it was the law. I pulled back on the throttle and within seconds they pulled along side, and a young officer jumped right in. I was focused on the machine guns in full view in their boat and they started asking a lot of questions, Meanwhile the one in the boat went through all my hatches without asking. While they continued a thorough inspection of my boat, I noticed a few boats scattering.
I didn't complain, but it was intimidating.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:45 AM
SS/Veteran

I know that enforcement has a job to do but they do commonly go way over the line. Worse, Massachusetts is a police state where enforcement has never been informed of citizen rights. In a lifetime of fishing and hunting I have seen a lot of enforcement behavior that was disgusting. As with any other generalization, you have to judge each incident separately. Overall, I would avoid those guys because they can spoil your day.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:31 AM

One tactic epo's have used is to park their vehicle where I have left my truck and just wait for me to return, two well paid state employees in a brand new fifty thousand dollar vehicle, staking out a spot for hours ....only to find out an old guy fishing had his lousy $27.50 freshwater fishing license in order. Heck my saltwater license is free because i'm over sixty...so why do I even need one.

Another time coming back to the boat ramp from fishing, as I was struggling to control my boat in a strong crosswind to dock, I saw an epo making a bee line in my direction. Firing off questions about fish in my boxes...licences, registration etc..... geesh can I get my boat secured to the dock first?
Old 03-01-2018, 10:10 AM
SS/Veteran

I don't like being too hard on EPOs because some are great guys. But I have seen some awful things done to sportsmen over the years. For instance, about 12 years ago, when I was in my high 60s in age, I had an EPO tell me I was too old to be hunting. I just shrugged out of concern that I was dealing with a ding-dong. You don't want to stand up for your rights because dey ave vays of dealing mit you.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:17 PM

If the C G has you in their sights the blue light should be flashing . Immediately stop the boat and everything goes real smooth and you are good for the rest of the year. If they want to board you again later on in the season show them the paperwork you received previously and they will be on their way. Our fish boxes have NEVER been checked. I wonder if that is why there might be a little problem in the E E Z . You don't snap wire for fluke.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:27 PM

I have had nothing but good episodes with the NY DEC and National Park Police,
I'll take more enforcement all day long.
I watched a really tall guy try to shout down a young female officer who wanted to see his Saltwater Licence and search his vehicle. He was nasty and leaned far enough out so as to face almost vertically down at her. He stepped just an inch too close. She stepped back and unbuttoned her sidearm. I don't recall the exact words but he was told that his choice was arrest for XYZ or she will search the car and he will shut up. I have seen her around a few times and always feel good for her.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:50 AM
SS/Veteran

That is a great story. Brings to mind that there are some nasty people on both sides of the badge. Brings a fresh notion to the subject, especially if a person has grown daughters.

I have had some great friends among EPOs. One lieutenant once told me that I could do anything I want before 8:00 AM when they go on duty. (Not sure that advice was in the best interest of enforcement.) Oh well.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:10 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Haven't had many experiences with CO's... a couple I remember were just checking FW fishing licenses, very nice guys.

In a boat, local police can be a pain... often I'm out with my brother in law who knows someone in all the local towns, so when they approach he asks, preemptively, how "xyz is doin'... say hi".. and then they usually smile and disappear, sometimes after shooting the breeze a bit.

In the buggy, there's a new sheriff in town at the North End of Brigantine, where the NJ DEP took over management by creating a new, for a new fee, "Sportfishing Permit" for the Brigantine Natural area. Brigantine police had "enforced" (and I use that term loosely) regs prior... which meant they just checked to see that you had paid city hall the requisite $$ and couldn't care less about anything else.

Which is kind of why the state took back management of the north area.

Thing is, in this "natural area" the state allegedly traps and kills foxes, to protect migratory bird nests during the summer, when they close down the north end to all motor vehicle traffic. There is some dispute about that policy, a. whether it is true or b. if true whether it is correct.

At any rate, the locals are irate about the state pushing themselves around, like they already are over the mandated "beach replenishment and dune projects"

All I know, is it's yet another fee, someone managing more "sand" in the state.

I'm not sure if I hate the NPS (Sandy Hook) or NJ DEP (IBSP and now Brigantine) more.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:27 AM
SS/Veteran

What I think offends citizens is favoritism in enforcement policies. If an EPO is not pleasant the exchange starts wrong and the BS meters start flashing. No one likes being pushed around or browbeaten by a person, who while authorized, displays arrogance. I can be a bit of a snob -- age, money, education can do that. When I feel that I outrank the guy who is shaking me down for some petty transgression, say undersize scup, I have to fight the desire to kick his ash. (not a god thing). Part of my problem is that I have seen too much BS, crooked cops, graft, fee splitting with tow truck operators. It left me with a chip on my shoulder so the EPO has to overcome that when the interaction begins. I tell anyone I am mentoring: try to avoid those guys.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
That is a great story. Brings to mind that there are some nasty people on both sides of the badge. Brings a fresh notion to the subject, especially if a person has grown daughters.

I have had some great friends among EPOs. One lieutenant once told me that I could do anything I want before 8:00 AM when they go on duty. (Not sure that advice was in the best interest of enforcement.) Oh well.
That's a license to steal for sure, at least back in the day when meat / income fishing was the norm all the way up to the early 2000's when there were limits but plenty of fish around. Now, if Judy ( wifey ) says I can do anything I want until XYZ time slot....we got some trouble, when I was younger anyway.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:58 AM
SS/Veteran

The person who told me that was a high ranking EPO officer. His doing so implies a certain loose nature to the EPO ethic. Extend that and you can see that some citizens are more important citizens than others. You get a bunch of undersize scup and lack social clout, like, say happen to be of the wrong ethnicity and you are going to pay dearly for a fish that paves the bottom of the ocean and is really over-populated. There is a big difference between an out-of-season deer and a nine inch scup. Again, that is why you want to avoid those guys. If you can't, try to stay white, be nice, and shower the buggah with respect.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:30 PM

Stay white ? Easy...the rest of it is sometimes challenging because people are people. Some have good days and some bad day. LOL on your comment.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:11 AM
SS/Veteran

Never had a problem with any law enforcement officer in any local / state park in the US . I get along with everyone until they try to screw me .