Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:20 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Enforcement -- Fish and Game?

If a person is of color they are going to dream up petty charges and railroad the poor sonofabitch. There is a website in RI that lists all the court charges and arrests made by EPOs. The names are obviously Asian like Phon Hock Tow or Ting Chang Phong. These guys are not exactly from the Hamptons. Charges are all petty scup violations or too many tautog. Hey, these guys like fish.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:55 PM

I completely agree that folks of Asian decent certainly do like their fish and you know not one ounce of their catch gets wasted . One of our neighbors\ friends is an older Korean woman who is a sweetheart. She is often the recipient of some of our catch , sometimes requesting a whole fish to utilize the rack . The amount of gratitude that she displays is amazing and come Christmas I have a tin of cookies and a big ash bag of jerkey waiting for me . You Bet . Not just fishing but in everyday life we face a lot of laws and regulations that we might not agree with and enforcement might at times also single people out for violations, unfortunately . But.. setting your own length and creel limits is against the grain of what I believe we all should stand for. Ct has 45 " Enhanced Shore Fishing Locations " where anyone can keep nine inch Scup and maybe other states should do something similar. The ocean floor does seem to be paved with them and the partyboat fleet can retain 45 per man at the end of the season ?? As for Tautog I am for even more enforcement of regulations . These fish get hit real hard in the Fall season and poaching is rampant for the underground market. More than once this season it was a 25\1 short vs keeper ratio . It isn't easy always playing by the rules but there is that thing called Karma . Cheers
Old 03-10-2018, 07:42 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

They like their fish but do they have to strip-mine the ocean like they did in their home country?

I mean really... keeping 50 5" fish?

Down here, I can tell you *anyone* doing that gets busted regardless of ethnicity.

OTOH, wrong ethnicity will get you bounced off of private docks, and perhaps ticketed.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:15 AM
SS/Veteran

sold Tautog to Mr Lee from Chinatown the only color we both cared about was green . If the fish were large in size it meant wealth & good luck to his Asian patrons durning the Chinese New Year for menu prices . Be at the dock on time with live fish .
Old 03-10-2018, 12:58 PM
SS/Veteran

What I'm crowing about is equal protection under the law. EPOs should not be more harsh on certain ethnic or racial lines. Earlier I said to "stay white" meaning that white guys get a fairer shake than others of color. I have seen EPOs break the law. I have seen people in enforcement treat others badly. Again, I always try to avoid those guys.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:02 AM

Fishing the surf in a remote area for a few decades and I have never encountered EPO's out there. Not sure if they are inclined to walk any distance at all and may be off duty at the time of night I fish. They would probably prefer to wait by my truck for me to return....but I park in a spot they wouldn't see.
I never put any kind of advertising on my vehicle like fish stickers, or rod racks, etc. to let others know that I fish, be it EPO's or thieves, no point letting everyone know what I'm doing or what they might find inside.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Bob, you are having a good day here. EPOs do all their enforcement challenges where you are parked. So if your buggy is hidden they don't know you are there. Years ago we used to see them in the woods but now that they have computers in their vehicle, they stay close to that vehicle. Radio and computer are their trade tools so they stay close to them. If they were always fair I would be sympathetic to their blight. But lifetime in the field, more, by the way then they have as officers, has caused an adversarial divide to develop between me and them.

I also have stories of things EPOs have done but they are such long stories that I hesitate to keyboard them.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:50 PM

For any of you guys who fish NY waters, there is a publication called "New York Freshwater Fishing" Mine is two years old so I need to get the updated one. In the rear few pages it has the direct cell number for every single eco in the state of NY, organized by county.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Bob, you are having a good day here. EPOs do all their enforcement challenges where you are parked. So if your buggy is hidden they don't know you are there. Years ago we used to see them in the woods but now that they have computers in their vehicle, they stay close to that vehicle. Radio and computer are their trade tools so they stay close to them. If they were always fair I would be sympathetic to their blight. But lifetime in the field, more, by the way then they have as officers, has caused an adversarial divide to develop between me and them.

I also have stories of things EPOs have done but they are such long stories that I hesitate to keyboard them.
I abide by the regulations so I have no fear of being checked for compliance.
While they (EPO) are very busy checking 13 year old's for fishing licenses, the rape of the ocean by guys like Carlos Rapheal (The Codfather), goes unchecked for years and years. His cheating and stealing allowed him to buy out most of the fleet who followed the regs. and has been quoted as saying " Rules are for losers". He stole millions of dollars of fish, bribed officials, and smuggled cash to foreign banks.
He has hired a team of Bostons top lawyers and will most likely get a slap on the wrist.
"How much justice can you afford" is how our system is works these days.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:03 PM
SS/Veteran

You make a good point, Bob. Government corruption goes deep into the heart of management. Having a badge does not make a person honest. Ever see the movie, Mystic River about the Mass state police?

My late brother, Norman, found a locked door on his beat and phoned it in to police h'quarters as is the protocol. Detectives came, loaded the cruisers with golf clubs, sporting arms and fishing tackle, then called the owner once the contraband was taken away.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:03 PM
SS/Veteran

their working to do what they can :

http://www.rocklandtimes.com/2018/03...ckland-county/

https://patch.com/new-york/newcity/t...man-haverstraw
Old 03-17-2018, 10:32 AM
SS/Veteran

Read them both and found both to be interesting. People sure do anything they want. Wouldn't you readily admit that there is cheating on both sides of the badge?
Old 03-17-2018, 11:28 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Read them both and found both to be interesting. People sure do anything they want. Wouldn't you readily admit that there is cheating on both sides of the badge?
you have to have faith Mr.D the bad get caught sooner or later & most who complain never wore a badge to see the good that's within. Bad news sells & so does fish stories
Old 03-19-2018, 01:39 PM
SS/Veteran

I think I have put up enough examples of bad enforcement to make it clear that I distrust EPOs.

Another example chosen because of its brevity: In RI you must have written permission or be on state land to deer hunt. I come out of state forest onto a power line and begin walking to my truck. Up drives the EPO who demands my permission for hunting on the power line (state land on both sides of the power line). He says, "if I see you here again, i'm going to write you up."
Old 03-21-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
I abide by the regulations so I have no fear of being checked for compliance.
While they (EPO) are very busy checking 13 year old's for fishing licenses, the rape of the ocean by guys like Carlos Rapheal (The Codfather), goes unchecked for years and years. His cheating and stealing allowed him to buy out most of the fleet who followed the regs. and has been quoted as saying " Rules are for losers". He stole millions of dollars of fish, bribed officials, and smuggled cash to foreign banks.
He has hired a team of Bostons top lawyers and will most likely get a slap on the wrist.
"How much justice can you afford" is how our system is works these days.
Must be a Mass. thing. It could never happen in NY or NJ.