Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:28 PM

Default Top Knot

Frank: I haven't heard about Top Knot in years. He was a character on the beach (P-Town area)for sure, but sure knew his stuff. Is he still active and doing ok?
Old 04-12-2018, 02:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Top Knot

I don't know how he is today. I grew up in the North End of Woonsocket with him and we trout fished Horsehoe Falls together all through grade school. If he is still around he would be 81, my age. He was in my HS graduating class and word in the class of '56 is that he is dead. But Peter O'Neal, an angling historian who researched the last time Bob Lipka's name came up, said he was alive. We were like brothers growing up and that sonofabitch could fish. In the 1970s we fished the old Jamestown Bridge on dark moons. Did Chatham Inlet until the moratorium. But the moratorium broke a lot of us up what with no striper fishing going on.

One time I had three cows stowed in my fish box that disappeared and he later told me it was he who took them. I would have killed him. I'll check with Peter O'Neill, if his e-mail is still in my computer. Did you know he had a wooden leg?
Old 04-13-2018, 08:26 PM

Didn't know where to post this Frank, not wanting to derail another thread and all but here goes.
A guy I fish with regularly, Tim ( never knew his last name ) tells me this AM that he and his father used to work the Cape surf game. Beach buggy, tin boat, heavy rods and reels. I asked about you and he said he knows you, the girls, your son and the Mrs. D.
Tim Lindino, same age as your son. His dad passed some time ago...John "Scotty" Lindino. Tim said you would know him. He then named a half dozen names all of which he said you would would know. It's a small world, I have to tell you.
He also added that all the guys up there were always hitting on Mrs D, commenting that she was a "looker". That convinced me, as you have often talked about all the shooters and casters ignoring you but seeking out the Mrs. Like Dick Meile, he seems to have an innate ability when to go and when not to bother.
Sorry for the misdirect.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:01 AM
SS/Veteran

I had to call Mrs D to read that and she got a kick out of it. We had a lot of friends on the Cape, some of it springing from admiration for what we did and how we dealt with the situation. The guys you mention were all good guys but we had some awful scary buggars around who I avoided. There were three characters who went around punching people who kept me going the other way. A broken nose causes a lot of bleeding. Read the section in Eastern Tides where Disco Danny bled all over my wife. In fairness, the bad guys were one percent of the people fishing the Cape beaches.

We may as well digress because nothing is coming in on Top Knot. The guy I asked is not responding so he might be gone also.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Top Knot may be gone. I heard from a historian guy who gave us his status last time and he has not heard. So TK may be dead. Hope I'm not next. Can't take another jealous husband.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:57 PM
SS/Veteran

Good news! The theiven XXXXX who stoled fish from my fish-box 40 years ago is alive and well in one of the Truros on Cape Cod. I am most pleased to hear he is still alive. That way, if the sonovabitch is still alive I have remaining hope of removing his gonads with a dull, and highly contaminated knife. No old guard should die of natural causes. We should all have our choices. What I would give to have a drink, him a blunt. for old time sake. But you can't go back. Questions, buoys and curls.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:16 PM

Some grudges melt away, few if any, but some others remain as clear as day. Not worth harboring these thoughts. I think they shorten our lives. But just occasionally getting even, or at least seeing karma turn in your favor deserves a high five or a cocktail.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:01 AM

Yes, I remember that he had a wooden leg, now that you mention it. I remember that one time he was selling sand eels up near one of the P-Town tackle shops and told us that he had been thrown off one of the beaches. he wasn't clear why he was thrown off, but I'm sure it would have made quite the story. I remember his dog, too.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:26 AM
SS/Veteran

I didn't know he had been thrown off one of the beaches. I do remember another guy was "expelled" for stealing a beach sticker. But I didn't know the guy or even if it was true. In those days screwing the rangers was kind of a secondary sport. For instance, I used to issue fake beach passes to 21-day limited self-contained buggies. A lot of people on the beach loved me for that.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:29 AM

If they enforced other laws as hard as they enforce our fishing laws, this country would be a better place!!!!
Old 04-18-2018, 10:22 AM
SS/Veteran

I am totally disassociated with NPS nor do I know anyone who goes there. Fees, horrible enforcement policy by rangers, seals, striper limits make the whole thing a fool's errand. Striper fishing is all changed.