Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Mentors, or Doing it Yourself

A friend who just retired and has been a summer only resident in our community for years is now moving in permanently next month. In a gin mill the other night he says..I need you to teach me to fish. Seems I could have asked some locals that same question only 10-12 years ago but I plodded on and found my way, and now have a cadre of guys who fish and share most information. What to do ? I think he's going to have to be a plodding pioneer.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:04 AM
SS/Veteran

Every situation is different when it comes to teaching people the ropes. Way back in RI I was close to a guy who I was helping and did a lot for him which I came to regret. Reason was that he hung out with a bunch of bad apples who drank, smoked dope, and made a lot of trouble on the beach. I can't have that kind of rep or be associated with that kind of behavior. As a rod and reel commercial access to the beach where I could ply my commercial trade was important. There are not that many beaches where you can live in a slide-on camper and catch enough fish to make some sales. Drunken pissin wars can get a person kicked off. So I just went off by myself and deliberately acquired a reputation for being a loner.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Yes, there is risk in mentoring someone who could be taught things that would hurt fishing and hunting. On the other hand there are handsome rewards the mentor enjoys when teaching a person the ropes. I am presently mentoring a couple in hunting and she just shot a monster gobbler turkey -- 22 pounds. She knocked on our door crying with delight; she is 48 years old. I cried too.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:30 PM
SS/Veteran

http://www.stripersurf.com/forums/at...1&d=1526408944

This is a pix of the girl, Ami, that I have been mentoring in hunting.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2018, 02:31 PM
SS/Veteran

Holy gobbler, Batman!
Old 05-16-2018, 08:49 PM

Nice !
Old 05-16-2018, 08:55 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

thats some nice work, Mr. D!
Old 05-17-2018, 02:06 PM
SS/Veteran

The skills of fishing and hunting have to be passed on to keep interest and support alive for future generations. Federal excise taxes (Pittman-Robinson) are redistributed to the states for the purchase of game lands and wildlife restoration like the wild turkey restoration. Of course some states like mine have so criminalized hunting that hunters are quitting. Then you have these wackos who kill school children and others, however well meaning, who blame the NRA for these crimes. Hunting is becoming a lost skill as well as socially unacceptable. Storm clouds are gathering around fishing for the same reasons: "why do you hurt the fish? What did the fish do to you?"
Old 05-18-2018, 07:31 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I've mentioned it before but an old NJ Fisheries chief noted that Hunting was Fishing's first line of defense, both for access, management of wild areas, and preventing those storm clouds from building.

I agree, it's getting dark out there for outdoor sports, trapping, hunting, fishing.

It'll take a while for fishing to be in the same state of public perception as hunting, but as you note there is already a faction out there.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:39 PM
SS/Veteran

What is scary is the politization of outdoor sports. Conservatives hunt and so belong to the NRA. A guilt-by-association develops because the liberals fall in against firearms and hunting. These kinds of fragmentations cause citizens to become victims of the politics of government.

Today in the news another school massacre, this time in Texas. More gun laws, more polarization for finger pointing.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:07 PM

It would be interesting to know how many from that side of the aisle in the state houses and federal government have CC permits, open carry permits, and guns in general. They cry about guns but have armed bodyguards !
The hunting license money, ammo taxes, fishing license money, etc all are supposed to plow back into the resource, not banning the hunting / fishing of same.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:35 AM
SS/Veteran

People need to know what part of wildlife conservation is financed by sport. The backpackers, canoeists, horseback riders use the land purchased with Pittman-Robertson funds for their recreation while they pay nothing for the use of the land P-R acquired. Then these people bitch about people walking around "their woods" carrying firearms for ONE month of hunting season.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:38 PM

I have found only two unbelievably good deals when I'm looking for licenses and permits other than the Saltwater Registry, which is a joke. I paid $1.60 approx for a Mass. Saltwater License. I guess it would be cheaper if I lived up there. The second one is the NY DEC Watershed fishing pass. Just ask for it, have a clean criminal record and display it on your stashed vehicle when you are walking around in the watershed with your rod. And it's good for several years.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:33 PM
SS/Veteran

A lot of licenses and permits are free if you have reached a certain age. Joyce and I hunt and fish in Taxachusetts free because of our ages.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:37 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

What's that saying, 'give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he is on the beach all night, then loses his job, and eventually gets divorced'...

Howdy Frank, hope all is well, 16 years and a new thread topic? Wow!

Once and a while I ask for a glass for my beer, when I do, I think of you.

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.