Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:42 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Mentors, or Doing it Yourself

Thanks for thinking of me, Frankie. Don't get me wrong, I don't do everything right any more than the next guy but there are certain things, things that pay homage to good form, while preserving culture and tradition, like not wearing a hat while dining, using turn signals or NEVER point even an unloaded firearm in a person's direction and, yes, drinking beer from a glass. I view it as important to show respect for protocols; it may be one of the few things that permits us to show we have learned something.

I know you know this, Frank, but drinking beer from a bottle proves you don't know how to drink beer. Those guys fish with worms. (where have you been?)
Old 05-26-2018, 05:39 PM

Even worse are women who drink beer from a bottle IMO anyway. They exist and most that I have met seem to have less self esteem than other women. Hope I don't get yelled at !
Old 05-27-2018, 04:03 PM
SS/Veteran

There is only ONE thing women do right so why wouldn't they drink from a bottle?

Often people seek mentoring, not to learn how but to learn WHERE. I will teach fishing, shooting, and hunting but I'm not taking someone out to where I fish or hunt. We had a guy here who guided and mentored for surfcasting and every time he took someone out, they were there the next week with their friends.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:44 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Thanks for thinking of me, Frankie. Don't get me wrong, I don't do everything right any more than the next guy but there are certain things, things that pay homage to good form, while preserving culture and tradition, like not wearing a hat while dining, using turn signals or NEVER point even an unloaded firearm in a person's direction and, yes, drinking beer from a glass. I view it as important to show respect for protocols; it may be one of the few things that permits us to show we have learned something.

I know you know this, Frank, but drinking beer from a bottle proves you don't know how to drink beer. Those guys fish with worms. (where have you been?)

Yes, Frank, the protocols of civility.

After all my time in Germany and Belgium, I realize that there is a level of beer that is crafted by gods and angels and you wouldn't dare bottle it. Only available in keg, within miles of the brewery. It is a bit of heaven on earth. Most of what is brewed here is best for watering plants or adding to a pot of chili. Stay well.

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:20 AM
SS/Veteran

Re the protocols of civility, we used to dress for dinner out. Now you go in a classy restaurant and people are eating dinner with their baseball caps on while their wives are drinking beer from a bottle. Its a different world today.

There is a special joy in mentoring someone and then seeing them succeed in either fishing or hunting. A couple we have been working with both killed 20 pound turkeys this season. Both in their early 50s, they were thrilled to have succeeded and have attributed their success to our example as a couple who hunt together.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:39 PM

My Juju has occasionally chastised me for going out too casual ( I live at the beach ).
I tell her I could go out in my underwear and be better dressed than most of the people she will see. Too casual = shirt not tucked in.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:32 AM
SS/Veteran

There is an interesting cultural difference between New Yorkers and sheet-kickers like me. I got to know a lot of New Yorkers when we fished in P-town. They are nice enough, just different, more streetwise, more aware and slightly more competitive. For instance, if they see a cut of meat in the market, they will knock you down reaching for it.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:39 PM

That last line sounds like a left handed compliment. LMAO, because it's true and funny.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:18 AM
SS/Veteran

I am guilty of a generalization here but at the time I viewed New Yorkers as competent anglers and Mass guys as incompetent ding-dongs in the striper surf. Of course I was fishing with Al Bentsen, Tom Murphy, John Curran and others. Dicky Samms was a loose cannon New Yorker.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:34 PM

No shortage of loose cannons here in Noo Yawk even today. Also plenty of experts and wannabees. I went to the Gateway ( Recreation Area ) Fishing Alliance bar-b-que yesterday. It's billed as the retired fisherman's luncheon. About 40 guys and a couple of wives along with our NPS guests. None of those guys were under 60 and all but a few are 65 to 80+. I couldn't help thinking about all the knowledge in those 40 noggins. In a sense it's like golf...you never actually figure it out, nor can you ever control it.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:44 PM
SS/Veteran

I know i'm guilty of generalizations but whenever you get a crowd together there are bound to be a few shockwa in the bunch. The clubs I've belonged to over the years have had their share of real pissers.