Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 06-04-2018, 08:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: May & June 2018 Fishing Reports

Visited my honey hole that?s been good to me for the last few years, first trip out. I managed 6 fluke, two worth taking a second look at, at 17?. Also 1/2 doz robins. I might have caught more but the pods of bunker were tangleing my line where are they when you need them all caught on chartruse or white 4? swimming mullet gulp on a twisted dropper above a 1 oz sinker.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Visited my honey hole that?s been good to me for the last few years, first trip out. I managed 6 fluke, two worth taking a second look at, at 17?. Also 1/2 doz robins. I might have caught more but the pods of bunker were tangleing my line where are they when you need them all caught on chartruse or white 4? swimming mullet gulp on a twisted dropper above a 1 oz sinker.
Nice Jim! You probably have plenty, but I just got back from Dicks. Gulp 4" mullets on sale, $15 for I believe 12.5 oz, plus I just submitted the rebate online for an additional $10 back.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Nice start!
Old 06-05-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Probably some big bass around eating all those short fluke you are releasing
Old 06-05-2018, 12:05 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
Probably some big bass around eating all those short fluke you are releasing

new type of "snag and drop"
Old 06-05-2018, 02:56 PM

New to the forum here. Have often checked the fishing reports over the years so thanks to everyone involved!

I was at the hook yesterday and found, I think, that access to the hook via the beach is not allowed now. It was my birthday so I said well, I'm not leaving without a fish, so I threw out right there at the 'rope' barrier. (Two hard fighting Blues, one maybe 38 inches, the other 28. Nice to not be skunked on my Bday)

So does this mean we can't walk the beach to fish down to the hook? Some guys came as I was about to leave and headed down the beach to the hook to fish....

What's the status of all this?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-05-2018, 03:50 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoBritt View Post
New to the forum here. Have often checked the fishing reports over the years so thanks to everyone involved!

I was at the hook yesterday and found, I think, that access to the hook via the beach is not allowed now. It was my birthday so I said well, I'm not leaving without a fish, so I threw out right there at the 'rope' barrier. (Two hard fighting Blues, one maybe 38 inches, the other 28. Nice to not be skunked on my Bday)

So does this mean we can't walk the beach to fish down to the hook? Some guys came as I was about to leave and headed down the beach to the hook to fish....

What's the status of all this?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the site, there?s a great bunch of guys on here if you need help or have any questions. You will find some people disregarding the sign and wandering out there it?s just a matter of time before the Rangers get pissed at chasing people and start writing tickets .The birds were two weeks late arriving so I am sure that that won?t be open until the end of August or the beginning of September.. last year they closed the middle of May and opened August 17 .
Old 06-05-2018, 03:53 PM

DiegoBritt, welcome aboard!

I think that there was a mention of the closing a bit back in this thread. As I recall CLOSED means closed and enforced. Good for you for lighting a candle where you stood and beating back the skunk.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the site, there?s a great bunch of guys on here if you need help or have any questions. You will find some people disregarding the sign and wandering out there it?s just a matter of time before the Rangers get pissed at chasing people and start writing tickets .The birds were two weeks late arriving so I am sure that that won?t be open until the end of August or the beginning of September.. last year they closed the middle of May and opened August 17 .

Thanks! Good to know. I knew i couldn't afford a ticket So I'm glad i didn't push it. I did not however see the rangers yesterday. I guess I'll be learning about other spots along the beach to fish....
Old 06-05-2018, 04:03 PM

Thanks @Joseph C. !
Old 06-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Senior Fellow

Gave it about an hour at 6. One 14 in fluke on a pink teaser ahead of a buck tail. Right in wash
Old 06-06-2018, 07:44 AM

Moco outfront yesterday afternoon. A strong west wind with waist high swell and an occasional chest high set. Tide was dropping and water was moving quickly. No luck on the hammered spoon and teaser. Switched over to twisted Bayyaker rig ))), slowed down the retrieve, added a little jiggle potion....caught two sundials. Left at low tide with too much shallow water. Sand fleas now in abundance.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:59 AM

Haven't been out fishing much. Decided to head to the local inlet last night around 6PM knowing that with low tide the beach was probably too shallow to work where I normally fish. Got to the inlet and everyone was hooking up with Blues between 2 and 5 lbs. A few larger ones were pulled in but nothing to write home about. I landed 6 total on a diamond jig. Started the night with a teaser on a dropper loop, leading my metal, but had no takers. Soon as I took the teaser off it was game on.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:15 AM
Senior Fellow

This morning started Bout 4:30. 5 guys on the beach landed about 8 bass. One 37in and one maybe a little bigger. One other keeper with blues mixed in. One blue for me was it but great to see the bass. Buddy got a 26 lber yesterday
Old 06-06-2018, 10:23 PM

1st trip to the "real beach" this spring. Hit SH with the professor, Bayyaker, today. Outgoing and it looked fishy except for the tinted water. I'm sorry to say that I outfished Prof. Jim with 1 small Blue.