Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 05-02-2018, 05:41 PM

Default Re: May & June 2018 Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Had to chop it in half to get it in the pic. Lol
Bay, On the fly! 'Well done.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:23 AM

Saw many stripers being taken Tuesday at west end of Navesink River.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheM View Post
That's the ugliest striper I have ever seen. LOL.

But those fish are like works of art. Nice fish, Bay.

They would probably make great bait!
Old 05-03-2018, 08:13 AM

Nice job guys!
Old 05-03-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui View Post
Just realized i posted my report in the march/april thread instead of here. Maybe i should stay home tonight and sleep?

Last couple days have treated me well. Good weather and lots of quality fish. Unfortunately, i have not broken the 30lb mark. I either get a fish with girth or length, but not both. Take a look at those brooms!
The fog light in the sky has not slowed them down by any means.
At the moment the hardest part is knowing what they want. One minute they're slamming gliders and the next they want bunker chunks.
well done man! hoping i can get another weekend or 2 in before the yellow eyes come in! Tight lines to you and John and the rest of the stripersurf family!
Old 05-03-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvsusaf View Post
Saw many stripers being taken Tuesday at west end of Navesink River.
And youll be fishing elbow to elbow now.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:22 AM
Senior Fellow

Fished down south this am and water was brown and snotty. Ten casts and done. Need some tide changes. Out chain at dusk
Old 05-03-2018, 02:34 PM

Tough bite last night - cycling through the plug bag and was able to pull a few fish.

RG Glider, SP Minnow(s), Luna metal lip
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  112.3 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  99.4 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  86.9 KB
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  146.6 KB
Old 05-04-2018, 06:33 AM

Slow night in the Bay last two nights, but not for lack of trying. Fished from the top of the incoming through beginning of outgoing. Two fish each night, but only one keeper coming in at about 30". All on the SP. Biggest fish last night was exactly 27 15/16".

Last night was fraught with technical difficulties with the gear. If anyone comes across my Blurple SP with two stingers (no trebles), drop me a note (or fish the heck at of that thing).

I kept getting this weird twist up of my line around the rod tip, which would kill the cast. Is this just worn and tired braid? Or, has my back cast gotten sloppy? Any thoughts or solutions would be appreciated.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:

I kept getting this weird twist up of my line around the rod tip, which would kill the cast. Is this just worn and tired braid? Or, has my back cast gotten sloppy? Any thoughts or solutions would be appreciated.
First time I ever had that happen was 2 days ago, throwing chunks with only 4 oz of lead. My line snapped and the rig sailed. Most unfortunate and it looked like I was an idiot. Fortunately there seemed to be absolutely no fish at risk in the area.
I have no idea what caused it or how to prevent it.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:44 AM

I add also that I use only about two feet of fluorocarbon as a shock leader connected with a double uni-knot to the 30lb braid. I try not to let the knot go through too many of the eyes on the rod during the cast. I don't like the sound or feel of that bump when I cast. Maybe its in the set up.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:09 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Slow night in the Bay last two nights, but not for lack of trying. Fished from the top of the incoming through beginning of outgoing. Two fish each night, but only one keeper coming in at about 30". All on the SP. Biggest fish last night was exactly 27 15/16".

Last night was fraught with technical difficulties with the gear. If anyone comes across my Blurple SP with two stingers (no trebles), drop me a note (or fish the heck at of that thing).

Is the roller on your bail well oiled and moving. If it?s not, as your reeling in, the line might be rolling and twisting into the spool and will also cause windknots when the line slacks a bit.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:07 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Also, use the smallest high quality (e.g. spro ball bearing) swivel you can get away with (ie rated for what you're throwing).

I know first hand a heavy swivel exacerbates braid tangle, just a small ill-timed wiggle of the rod tip with the swivel in the wrong spot can take you minutes of untangling and often re-tying. Do this when casting and not paying attention and *bing* away goes your plug and/or rig... seen both fly off to england at times.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:31 AM

DtheM, nice meeting you last night and thanks for your help. I'm blind w/o my glasses and I couldn't see them on the ground w/o them LOL. No love for me or my buddy last night. Couple of bumps and that was it. Another friend got into a few fish right next to me with a nice 33"er. No bait at all. Find the bait, find the fish, and I didn't find the bait. Need to recharge my batteries. 14 straight days/nights of fishing is catching up. Hopeflly the yak tomorrow
Old 05-04-2018, 11:22 AM

Trip#4 on my kayak on Thursday from 6.30am to 12PM in RB...nice warm day with light winds in the morning only to get over 20 mph from SW around 11.30 am...but 5 hours was enough for me to get my "medicine" of bass hunting... water temp got to 57F...wow...marked tons of fish scattered around...tried everything but ended up only with two keepers ( over 30") and one short in mid 20ties...x-rap and white mojo caught my fish yesterday...bass for finicky I guess due to abrupt change in weather...it felt strange to be in the kayak dressed only in light shirt in early may......only few people were fishing...fished with Eric and met George and Bob on the water