Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Fly Fishing the Salt

Fly Fishing the Salt Questions, answers & tips about Patterns, Lines, Leaders, Rods, Reels, Techniques and how to avo

Old 05-04-2018, 07:59 PM

Default Stripping basket

Every time I think about drilling a few holes in my basket for water drainage, something stops me and I don’t do it. Has anyone done this? Besides *possibly* allowing line tangles, I cant think of any negative effects. Am I missing something? Seems like a good idea to me, but any comments/experience is welcome, thx.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:19 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Stripping basket

I have done some chest deep wading with a basket and have thought the same thing, esp. when water gets in the basket and its bound around your waste, it tough to lift up neck height to empty.
On the other hand, with water in the basket, (if you were deep enough and water entered through the holes you drilled) it really doesn't do the job. So if you fish the flats, Brewster Flats where I go, and you have to walk 3/4 mile in water from your ankles to the top of your waders, I would rather go with a holeless basket. Just my opinion. Joe
Old 05-05-2018, 07:37 AM

Ahhh, good point. Didn’t think of water coming in from bottom. TY! I mainly fish surf,so I get a lot of splash water coming in, but it would just as easily come in from underneath if I drilled holes. Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakuz66 View Post
Ahhh, good point. Didn?t think of water coming in from bottom. TY! I mainly fish surf,so I get a lot of splash water coming in, but it would just as easily come in from underneath if I drilled holes. Thanks again.
Well in the surf you not really gonna sink the basket. Maybe a couple small holes in the lowest part may work out. I do see they sell some with holes already in them. Maybe have one of each
Old 05-05-2018, 08:47 PM

That’s what I was thinking, one of each. Any excuse in the book to buy more fishing gear , lol
Old 05-06-2018, 07:13 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

In the surf, personally, I like holes for when waves splash over.

I haven't, and can't, see using a basket if I'm just standing in water over my waste.

And if wading through areas with deeper water, I would not want anything like that around my waste.

That's me. I have no experience on long flats, just bay and surf.

But one other caveat is that I don't have holes in my current basket LOL... I just recall from my days fishing the run up in North Jersey where I've have to wade out to the bar and then wade out deep to get the fly over the outer bar. In that case, not having holes was a true PITA.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
In the surf, personally, I like holes for when waves splash over.

I haven't, and can't, see using a basket if I'm just standing in water over my waste.

And if wading through areas with deeper water, I would not want anything like that around my waste.

That's me. I have no experience on long flats, just bay and surf.

But one other caveat is that I don't have holes in my current basket LOL... I just recall from my days fishing the run up in North Jersey where I've have to wade out to the bar and then wade out deep to get the fly over the outer bar. In that case, not having holes was a true PITA.
Agreed on underwater but, Brewster flats at the cape, after walking half mile or so your back up the knee deep casting into a flow. But your right, its tough to cast with a stripping basket around your neck,,,, or even tough to walk. Here's a pic at low tide, on the rise this is all covered and at full your walking neck deep, then walking back to the beach at low,,,, no water
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2018, 07:02 PM

Tough day today. Morning was pretty calm, and afternoon wind picked up. Thought the afternoon might produce, but nada. Back and shoulder are sore. Punching through the NE wind for a few hrs beats me up. Tried a crease fly for the first time, might go back to this pattern, seems to have potential.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Cool Re: Stripping basket

why don't you drill a hole in the corner of the basket & use a wine cork to plug the hole
Old 05-07-2018, 05:48 AM

Great idea Hook, thanks!
Old 05-07-2018, 06:56 AM

Joe,

Beautiful area... Would love to fish up there some time

Hook - good suggestion!

Rak - the crease fly comes into its own when the peanut bunker are around later in the year. But as always, if you have confidence in the fly, why not try it
Old 05-07-2018, 08:49 AM

Good to know about the crease fly and p. Bunker. Usually use clousers, 1/2 and 1/2 etc. any good suggestions on striper fly line? Make? I have old fly lines and need to upgrade. Thx
Old 05-07-2018, 09:15 AM

Fly Lines are still a mystery to me, other than sticking with a couple of name brands.

I like the Rio Outbound but there are many good lines.

They get pricey to experiment with, so one recommendation is to check in with a fly fishing club that caters to saltwater (in this case) and ask what folks use and like.

Several that I like are:

1. Rio Outbound ... good shooting capabilities
2. Orvis depthcharge for sinking lines

Note: I just looked at Rio's site and realize they've gone ballistic with the number of options. I HATE the fly industry
Old 05-07-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Fly Lines are still a mystery to me, other than sticking with a couple of name brands.

I like the Rio Outbound but there are many good lines.

They get pricey to experiment with, so one recommendation is to check in with a fly fishing club that caters to saltwater (in this case) and ask what folks use and like.

Several that I like are:

1. Rio Outbound ... good shooting capabilities
2. Orvis depthcharge for sinking lines

Note: I just looked at Rio's site and realize they've gone ballistic with the number of options. I HATE the fly industry
Exactly!!!!! It becomes really confusing. So, I recently wrote a list of the few lines I use and what they are good for, usually I stick to an Intermediate line. I really should throw out all my old fishing stuff I never use, but I can't do it.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:45 AM

Intermediate, for a shore bound angler, is the best all around line.

Bob Pops is the only "expert" I ever heard expound the virtues of always using a floating line.

For fishing clousers and other bottom flies, I like my combo Rio with the sinking tip and floating running line. But for general mid-water surf fishing with deceivers or similar, and intermediate is great and I have several setups, none seem much better than the other.

I am kind of getting amped to try that 2 handed 6 wt with a 9wt line that Joe mentioned in the other thread, but my fishing days are so limited that I'm hesitant to pull the trigger until I see my schedule letting up (which it may next year...think I've written the same thing the past 5 years, but I digress...)

Again, find a club and ask individuals 1 on 1 and see what you come up with. But the problem is if they have 3-4 year old lines, you'll have to work to find the equivalent line in today's lineups by the manufacturers, if it's anything other than plain-vanilla cold water WF-whatever.