Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Fly Fishing the Salt

Fly Fishing the Salt Questions, answers & tips about Patterns, Lines, Leaders, Rods, Reels, Techniques and how to avo

Old 05-15-2018, 09:01 PM

Default Floating line

Thinking of going to a floating head this weekend with some varied sink tips. Anybody use a floating head in the salt? Thinking it might be a good set up for the back bays? Any feedback appreciated, thx
Old 05-16-2018, 06:49 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Floating line

Never tried a shooting head setup. I'm assuming that's what you're referencing.

I have different spools and reels all with WF... float, intermediate, and the RIO combo: sink tip, float running line; as well as a depth charge full sinking line.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:04 AM
Administrator

My main line on all my weight rods is a floating running line and an intermediate head.(integrated)
I, like Rob, do have other lines but the above is my go to line 98% of the time.

As for floating lines, only time I use them is in the ponds and lakes up here in upstate ny when I want to see bass rise to the surface and take the offerings.

I am not sure what a floating head and various sink tips would really accomplish over say, a sinking head or intermediate head with different leader lengths.. But then again, I'm just a novice fly fisher with much to learn.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:03 PM

I’m thinking it might work better in channels,
Old 05-16-2018, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakuz66 View Post
I?m thinking it might work better in channels,
In moving water I would want to get down... I usually go with a sinking head and let it flow with the current at different levels.

Story,,, I kayak back in the sedges, IBSP, and where the channel makes the bend going out Barnegat inlet, from the inner bay, a good moving channel that hugs the inner bank, guys in boats were hitting good size bass drifting through. I was standing out on the island trying different things and did manage to pick up 2 bass after experimenting. Like I mentioned above I almost always use the F/I line but eventually switched to a inter. with sink head , which I feel was close to the bottom( actually had no idea how deep it was) and scored. Unfortunately, I think now, from the last time I was out there, you can't beach your kayak there anymore.
Channels, I like to get deep.

Oh, the more I think about the sedges, I have to get back out there again. There are some great channels out there and another perfect one that runs by a huge sand flat you just anchor your yak and walk the edges of the flat.
ok, who wants to go out there.

Last edited by Joe : 05-16-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:05 AM

Me, me! Sans kayak tho. I think we are thinking about some similar spots. Anyway, I’m thinking with F. Head and sink tips I could mend line and it actually might sink faster? But, it could be the trout fisherman in me,,,
Old 05-17-2018, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Could be the trout guy in you, Currents out there on the outgoing are rippin. Sometimes I feel like I need to attach a 8oz sinker to the fly line.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:36 AM

So, maybe a sinking head instead of Int??
Old 05-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Administrator

In my opinion, and I am not really a super fly fisher like many here, I would use, and I do for that situation, inter running line and a sinking head. I believe, the Stripers hug the bottom and wait for all that good stuff to be in a current tumbling down and coming out, with a dinner napkin fastened around their necks.
Once the tide changes, i paddle away into the sunset, or find a flat and set the kayak seat in the sand and catch some rays.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:42 AM

An intermediate line does as much good as a floating line, and generally is more versatile.

You need an inter or floating running line and sink tip, as well (mostly for later in the year) an intermediate tip or full int line to work near the top. I say that because in Aug - Oct when the mullet and peanut bunker are around, top water is a GREAT option and a lot of fun.

Other than that, I agree with Joe that stripers (and weakies) stay closer to the bottom.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:04 AM

Thx guys, those bigguns in the channels sound like steelhead in January. Laying on bottom, expending little energy, but will take if put on their snout. Now, I got a 2 hr ride (one way) to IBSP , and watching the weather closely. Got Saturday free and don’t mind some rain, but worried about the cabbage.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:51 AM
Administrator

The old saying fits here. The Worst day of fishing is better than the Best day of work.
I have fished the park in all kind of bad stuff, the worst being the biting flies, and still wish I was there now.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
The old saying fits here. The Worst day of fishing is better than the Best day of work.
I have fished the park in all kind of bad stuff, the worst being the biting flies, and still wish I was there now.
Well stated,,,,
Old 05-29-2018, 12:02 PM

Why not just go with the intermediate and a longer leader / weighted fly .... a mega clouser for instance or a weighted bead in front of the fly of your choice ?
Just thinking out loud...I'm still learning.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:18 PM

Joe,

It depends on the depth, and frankly the action you want with the fly.

An unweighted fly may need to be presented at different depths of the water column swimming naturally, or you may want the jigging action of a weighted fly.

You may want a floating fly pulled down to the botton and retrieved in a downward fashion, like a lipped fly might. Or not.

So, really should have some type of sinking line (full sink or sink tip depending on depths you intend to fish) as well as an intermediate (or floating) line.

A couple of weeks ago I was fishing from shore, rigged with a full sink, and regretted it as intermediate or floating lines were needed to keep the fly away from bottom weed. It was deep enough for a full sink line, but not enough current. Really hampered my fishing, having to clear the fly of weed every cast.