Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Commercials -- selling your fish ????

News of the day on the waterfront in New Bedford.

Typical disregard of the law as usual. "Rules are for LOSERS"
It will never change.

NEW BEDFORD - Massachusetts Environmental Police put a damper on what was supposed to be a nice day out fishing after authorities find a charter expedition returned with over a quarter-ton of fish over the legal limit.

On Wednesday, Environmental Police officers inspected a charter boat that was returning to New Bedford from a fishing trip in Buzzards Bay with 35 passengers on board. As a result of the investigation, officers found 560 pounds of black sea bass over the legal limit, 33 of which were under the legal length of 15 inches. Officers also found 90 pounds of scup over the legal limit, one undersized striped bass, and one undersized tautog.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:21 AM
SS/Veteran

Thirty-five passengers? You can bet that somebody dropped a dime on the boat with their cell phone. Someone who was pissed off about something. I mate who was not accommodating. g
Old 06-02-2018, 11:52 AM

I agree someone aboard might have called EPO's, knowing that poaching laws were being violated.....but it also could be a routine or random check. A majority of boaters including myself have been stopped on the water by EPO without any cause given, other than to check for compliance.

There is only one charter here that can take 35 people. Their name, which is obvious to me, has been left out of all the reports i have read. I wonder why?...maybe people are expected to look the other way and go along to get along.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:31 AM
SS/Veteran

Sometimes its the EPOs who go afoul of the law. I know Mass state police are presently under indictment for overtime abuse. How many times have I said, "everybody cheats".
Old 06-05-2018, 07:09 AM

Massachusetts environmental police can board and search any vessel without the owners permission or a search warrant. When they brought their boat up along side mine one of the officers immediately jumped aboard, and went right to all of my storage hatches, while the other two questioned me about my activities. Their boat had some prominently displayed weapons..... maybe it helps get people to cooperate?
Old 06-05-2018, 12:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not against compliance and enforcement. I find it strange that Supreme Court just outlawed unreasonable/unwarranted search of an auto but they can do it to a boat? It is inconsistent and does not follow.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:35 PM

That unreasonable search of an auto is close to being ended in NYC by the legalization of pot, and the attorney general's telling the cops to stand down on arresting public pot smoking. Those searches invariably lead to finding credit card scanners, blank cards, hard drugs, bundles of cash, all sorts of unlicensed weapons and ammunition and also drivers with records for violence, along with some wanted peeps.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Please don't misunderstand me, I am not against compliance and enforcement. I find it strange that Supreme Court just outlawed unreasonable/unwarranted search of an auto but they can do it to a boat? It is inconsistent and does not follow.

You have mentioned that your daughter is with the Coast Guard so I'd guess you respect the work they do....enforcing the law on the water like the EPO's do.

When I was boarded and my boat searched I never felt that my rights were being violated. They were courteous and professional. The amount of blood all over the boat got there attention. The False Albacore I had been catching were real bleeders...looked like a crime scene.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:24 AM
SS/Veteran

Three of our kids served in the Coast Guard, one for 30 years in the CG Reserve, retired as a Captain. Her twin just retired from 30 years as a civilian employee as an office manager in a District H'quartrs. No, I am not against the CG. Hardly.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:47 AM

They must have some good stories...dealing with all that they do. you must be very proud of them and you should be.
Was it more difficult for them being women in charge of men?
Old 06-06-2018, 03:49 PM
SS/Veteran

Susan, the 30 year officer, was in on a rescue soon after she graduated from the Academy. Their vessel pulled along side a floundering sport fishing vessel and the husband and wife were scared to death and puking from seasickness. The coasties pulled alongside, got them out and took them aboard. The women was crying and hugging them, repeating, "God bless you, my Lord, we would have died, God bless you."

Years ago I did an article for American Legion Magazine about a rescue done at Race Point. The young CG seaman -- Kelly and Rogean-- got the gold Life Saving Medal because of the article which was brought to the attention of Command, Woods Hole. I got a dinner for writing it.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:36 PM
SS/Veteran

The story is also in Eastern Tides in a chapter called, "I Believe in Heroes".

I am presently reading Linda Greenlaw's Hungry Ocean. You want to read about money fishing do that one. Can't put it down.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
The story is also in Eastern Tides in a chapter called, "I Believe in Heroes".

I am presently reading Linda Greenlaw's Hungry Ocean. You want to read about money fishing do that one. Can't put it down.
One of my favorite books!
Old 06-18-2018, 09:05 AM
SS/Veteran

While The Hungry Ocean is a well written work, Greenlaw dropped the ball at the end when she failed to elaborate on the low price they got for their catch. She should have pointed out that hanging on to fill their hold cost them in fish price.

It is price times pounds, a thing we learned in our own commercial fishing. Time after time we saw guys on the Cape wanting "cash on the barrel-head" taking way less for NOW money; Suckers preferred a dollar this week over two dollars next. Very dumb. One time we refused to sell bass for .15 cents and got $1.00 the next day for the same fish. The price didn't change; the fish buyer was changed. You should never sell to restaurants.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:22 AM

Growing up in New Bedford MA, one of the largest grossing fishing ports in the country, I and many of my classmates, had the opportunity to get jobs on fishing boats. I chose to go into construction, but many of my contemporaries, chose to go fishing. I wont say they made easy money, but it was ten times what I made as a carpenter, some of them were buying new cars for cash after a three week trip on a dragger. Sadly many of them, that I knew personally, also got addicted to heroin and are no longer with us. Also back then they were paid all in cash.....skirting income tax laws entirely.