Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:16 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Killing Wild Land Animals?

People go out in the woods and shoot animals that did not do anything to them. What do yuz think about that? (No matter what you say, I will not take down your post. Promise)
Old 05-30-2018, 03:03 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Killing Wild Land Animals?

For food, no problem. For sport and furs? No real problem. Just because? well, the Feds trap and kill foxes on a local island to protect migrating birds. Now the foxes are not native, but are wild. They apparently are opportunistic so they found enough prey to stick around our marsh/island environments, yet the feds deemed them nuisances.

If the feds can just arbitrarily decide one wild animal deserves more protection than another, I don't think I can hold *anything* against a hunter who decides they want to shoot animals.

Whether or not the animal did anything to that hunter is irrelevant.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:54 AM

I hunted for 52 years all over the U.S.A. . Took a lot of animals. I eat everything I took. Think I only kept 2 or 3 racks for deer and they were only because they were weird looking racks. Now I just salt water fish as much as I can. I enjoy that much better than hunting now I'm older. But I have no problem with killing animals as long as you eat them. Not for the racks and leave the meat to rot. But remember the fish we catch and eat, didn't do anything to us also. I'm getting in the mood for fish, I'm going fishing now.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:12 AM
SS/Veteran

Hunt animals are all governed/managed for sustainable yield. As long as hunting is controlled so that not too many are taken there is no harm. There are animals that are hunted for sport that you can't eat -- crows, coyotes. But to my wife and I the eating is part of the joy and reward of hunting. Dinner tonight? Wild turkey, mashed potatoes, peas, turkey gravy and meat dressing made from venison. (I would invite yuz all but I selfishly want to keep it for myself.)
Old 06-01-2018, 06:51 AM
Administrator

I hunt for food. Do not believe in killing for sport.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:58 AM
SS/Veteran

As long as the animal is eaten I think it's ok. I occassionally say to vegans, "I'm not being mean here, but even if there were no humans on the planet, millions of animals worldwide would be eaten every day...by other animals...and I'm an animal..."
Old 06-01-2018, 02:30 PM
SS/Veteran

Hunting is enjoyable as an activity with its own body of knowledge in the activity with marksmanship requirements. Never ever look out your window, see wildlife and think that shooting a deer or turkey has no skill requirements. True hunting is not shooting animals out the window of your home. Also, eating game is part of the fun and frolic of hunting. I know some hunters don't even eat their game but give it to friends for consumption. I can't do anything about what other people do. I know we love game on the table and eating it is a part of the whole activity. If we shoot too many pheasants at the club, we do give excess birds to our grown kids. Similarly, with legal fish we catch and one of our kids gives us fish.

Wild turkey is better eating than farm reared turkeys, though they are close. I say that from memory because we haven't bought a store turkey since the turkey restoration in our region -- around 1990. Why would we buy a turkey when we shoot enough for our turkey eating needs. Of course all hunting is expensive and its cheaper to buy your meat than hunt it. Non hunters never understand that. Same with fish; its cheaper to buy fish than tackle, gas, waders, bait, lures. Then you know that.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:34 PM

I agree 100% with Frank. My favorite way of hunting deer and other game was to track them. Lowers your odds, but when you get an animal I always felt great, more like it was evening the odds between me and the deer. My knee's aren't like they use to be , I miss hunting, but just fishing has it's rewards. Wild turkey is great. So is wild boar.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:24 AM
SS/Veteran

Inasmuch as we both have age related issues, there are only certain kinds of hunting my wife and I can do. We can't stay with the dog any more for pheasants. Deer hunting we know where to wait and we just sit. Great thing about us is no matter how much we deteriate physically our marksmanship does not decline. We struggle to walk but we can put the bullet in the boiler room. And we can chew the bambi-burger.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:51 AM

I don't hunt but I do own firearms. My property abuts a state forest. We have small dogs as pets. Almost lost one to the coyotes.

Any coyotes that set foot on my property will be shot on sight.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:11 AM

Rmarsh, Yotes should be shot when there around your property. We have had them for a number of years were I live , and the woods and fields I hunted for rabbits are wasted. You can't find a rabbit to hunt. When I came across them , I hunted them. Tuff to get to come in ,but you can get them.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:37 AM
SS/Veteran

Whenever we see coyotes hunting we shoot them. Last one my wife got we met a guy who wanted it to have the pelt tanned. She gave it to the guy. He was thrilled. Yotes are very hard to hunt but deer hunting you can occasionally get a target of opportunity by accident.

We recently had a neighbor looking for her cat that had been left out all night. I told her the coyotes probably got the kitty. She began to cry. Do not declaw your cat.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:06 PM

I shot one deer in my life and I felt absolutely horrible about it. I could never do it again nor would I ever want to.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:25 AM
SS/Veteran

I have heard that before. Too bad you failed to anticipate that it would do that to you. You should have had it straight in your head before you went hunting. Some aspects of hunting can be very gory. The animal does not always die quickly. One sees what happened to you among hunters who were not raised with it. I came from a long line in family of hunters. Grandparents from Quebec, strong Cadien bachground. We grow up killing stuff and fixing it up for the table. Next time you order a BLT try to remember what was done in the stock yard to the pig -- not the lettuce and tomato.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:44 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I have a friend who is very disconnected that way, no problem eating meat but wouldn't ever consider hunting, even though he is an avid trap/skeet shooter.
I remind him from time to time about how that meat got to his plate.

My wife and I are fish-vegie eaters now, for health reasons. Nothing to do with hunting morality. Same way with guns. My wife lost a close cousin when they were both young due to an accidental shooting and has never wanted a gun anywhere in the home... I've respected that as I have enough other things in life to occupy me, but my objection to having a gun in the home has nothing to do with being anti-gun... in fact, NJ is so crazy I've still been mulling around the idea of havinig a hand gun for protection, but have not brought myself to move on those thoughts.

If you are not a strict vegan for moral grounds, I don't believe you have a basis for objecting to hunting. Just my opinion.