Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-10-2004, 03:41 PM
SS/Veteran

Having read the posts +/- for flyfishing, I'm compelled to give some insight.
I am one of those wackos who has flyfished in a sus. 30mph blow. I am one of those wackos who will stick w\ the flyrod while pluggers are bailin' bass. I am one of those wackos who is incredibly proud of the fact that I am not only able to hook a fish, in the ocean, but I am able to create an offering, that looks like food, to a fish, from nothing but a bare hook, some feathers or synthetics, and some silicone or epoxy.
I began fishing freshwater at the age of 4, with my dad. Up and until the age of 10, I would cry when it was time to leave {still do if the fish are blitzen'} wether I could feel my fingers or not. At the age of 12 I began flyfishin' with the exclusion of all other means. At the age of 13 I started tying flys. I went for 2 yrs. with out ever catching a trout. That third year things clicked, and I began catching. By 18yrs. of age it was common place to catch a 20 in. native brown trout on a #22 dryfly, 5 minutes from my house in Ne. Pa.
5 yrs. ago I caught 6 native browns, all within one hour, the smallest was 18 in. the biggest was 22in. all on the same fly. All released no worse for the wear. I needed something more. I needed bigger game, and bigger water. So I went to the salt. It got in my blood, and I became addicted.
As a child I fished for quantity. As a teen ager, I began fishing for quality. As an adult now, I fish to become a more perfect fisher. That means that in order to become a more perfect salt water fly-fisher, I need to put my time in, when I am able {responsibilities of adulthood suck}, and take my medicine sometimes the hard way. Suffice it to say, there has yet been a time, that I walked away from the salt, and did not learn something about the pursuit, to which I am so addicted to.
Remember, for those of you whom have never tied a fly, and subsequently caught a fish on that fly, you can't possibly understand why a flyfisherman would subject themselves to the torment they so frequently do.
This past Nov. I was flyfishin' the beach @ I.B.S.P. by the Manision, for 8 straight hrs. Bunker were everywhere, and no-one, even the pluggers, were catching anything; not even a blue. Up and until that day I had flyfished the front and the bay for the past 5yrs, and had never caught a bass bigger than 21 in. The sun had just fallen behind the dunes. I just happened to pick the right cut, the right fly, cast to the right location, and retrieve the fly w\ the right cadence, when lo an behold I hooked and landed a 10lb. bass 30in. I was never more proud carrying a fish off the beach.
When one looks @ what I have gone through to know what I know, and learn what I've learned, and travel as far as I do, they will see that that 10lb.bass had, and still has, a value to it, that will pleasure, and inspire me for the remainder of my life. What would it have meant, if I wasn't always @ a disadvantage, and didn't create the fly I caught it with?
I learned the most valuable lesson of my life and, about life, from my dad, when I first started fishing, and that is...
"It doesn't matter how many fish you catch; It doesn't matter how big the fish you catch are; what matters is that you are a fisherman and you are fishing."
So, to those of you who see that poor happless soul, waving that contraption of an outfit, seemingly wasting their time while others are bailing fish, remember... It's not the ends that gives the justification to the wackos like me. It's the means that justifies the ends... for wackos like me.

Old 01-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Don't have time to reflect in depth but I must say that I both appprove of what you say and like how you say it. If my daughter came home with you, I would poure you a bottle of pale ale. Most of all, I like the idea that you are not making your own history with a lot of BS. Your successes are realistic, but most of all honest.

Frank
Old 01-10-2004, 09:06 PM

NICE POST FISH TANK!!!!!!!! Tying is what got me into flyfishing the salt. I give away more flies then I keep for myself. I am not out there in all the fancy clothes but I bought some nice gear this past year and plan on using it a lot more. Your post was encouraging.

Catch um' up!
Keith
Old 01-11-2004, 08:00 AM

Recent posts inspire more ideas. Personally, I have no problem with "fancy" gear. Equip is part of the fun and frolic of all these pursuits. What I want to see among surfcasters fly fishing is a greater appreciation for conditions and their interrelationship. Also, we should not care what others think about our choices. Besides, if anglers are using their head, keeping a low profile, and fishing after dark when they should be fishing, it is pretty hard to know what someone is doing That may be an edge that hunting has over fishing: it is more private.

Frank
Old 01-11-2004, 10:02 AM
SS/Veteran

wow guys makes me want to bye a fly rod,i have two for trout fishing but never tried the salt maybe this year,i have all the other gear so whats stopping me,nothing cabelas here i come

bob

family,fishing life is good oh ya tattoos

Keeper of the light
Old 01-11-2004, 10:14 PM

I'm a FISHERMAN first, a fly fisher second.I Fly Fish 90% of the time for everything from tiddlers to tarpon,because I LIKE it,no other reason.It's nothing more than another way of launching an offering to a fish.There are dorks with fly rods and there are dorks with Surf Rods,I ignore dorks because I came to fish,learn and explore.Despite my Fly preferance,I make damn sure I stay sharp with everything from ice fishing rod to plugging the surf,because being a well rounded fisherman is more important to me than being "just" a fly fisher.Frankly,I don't care how anyone fishes,just so long as it's legal and they respect the resource.I consider all fisherman my brothers.IMHO Fly Fishers and or Surf casters who trash a "metheod" are usually insecure in their ability to perform with that metheod.It's not brain surgery,it's fishing and unless you need it to eat or survive it's supposed to be fun and sporting,otherwise why not use hand grenades,a net or TNT?Graduating L.L. Bean's or the Orvis school doesn't make one an expert fly fisher anymore than a Van Staal makes you a surf fisherman.If these folks think they can buy expertise their fools.No matter what metheod you prefer "time on the water" and studying your prey are what makes you a better fisherman.Most snob fly fishers can't cast a plug and most snob "trophy" surf casters couldn't huck a fly into a light breeze.There are times in a fisherman's career when "How Many" is important,"How Big" is important and when "How" you achieve both is important.IMHO,most fisherman should worry less about what everyonelse is doing and watch the water.Nice Thread. Jack

"Somedays even a blind Pig finds and acorn" Unknown
Old 01-12-2004, 07:28 AM

Yes, that is pretty much it, Jack. Hate to spoil this thread with a serious notion, but I wish fly fishing was less prone to generating so much opinionated mule dung.

When you fish a spot regularly and alswys see a fly fisher arrive after dawn and never see one in the dark when the fish are slashing and smashing all over the place, after a while you develop a disdain for the flyfishing craft. When you see guys fishing pool cues, who would not know wht to do with a "trout pole" if their life depended upon it, openly exhibiting disdain for fly fishing, you realize that there is no justice in their position either.

What frustrates me is that the two above extremes keep playing out over and over in the Striper Surf like a song caught in your head. Is the solution ear-plugs or is it educating both groups to the notion that ....

1) Guys, stop going to the shore to show off and get real about a demanding outdoor endeavor that is not about equipment, it is about using your head.

2) Just because you don't know how to do this, does not mean that you shouldn't learn if you are serious about catching fish. (The last time I saw you with that squidder, Harnell and Atom swimmer, you said it was about catching fish. Well?)

Frank
Old 01-12-2004, 08:53 AM

Nice post, Jack. I agree entirely with what you are saying.

Have you been out for sea-runs? I've fished Scorton a couple of times with three small fish. But, hell, in December, a fish is a fish.

BillH
Old 01-12-2004, 10:07 AM

Bill, sorry for the delay on your question, but I was running from a jealous husband. The fly book is supposed to come out early March. Don't worry, I won't forget to do a lot of promotional BS when the time comes.

Frank
Old 01-12-2004, 03:10 PM

Hey Bill,How are you! Chased Steelhead,Trained dogs and even jerked a few Perch,but haven't been out for Sea Runs.I'm waiting for a break in the weather. Keep Warm and enjoy the Cape. Jack
quote:
Originally posted by ONSHORE:
Nice post, Jack. I agree entirely with what you are saying.

Have you been out for sea-runs? I've fished Scorton a couple of times with three small fish. But, hell, in December, a fish is a fish.

BillH

"Somedays even a blind Pig finds and acorn" Unknown
Old 01-13-2004, 03:58 PM

If i had a dollar from every fly fisherman i,ve passed leaving the beach as i was arriving(dusk), or the ones i pass getting to the beach as i'm leaving (after sunrise) i could afford one of this beach houses on the cape.

MNSHDW
Old 01-14-2004, 03:38 PM

yes, Moon, I think you are right. Three or four seasons ago I met a Pennsylvania State Trooper on vacation fly fishing Chatham Inlet and he was the real deal. Competent, experienced, fishing in the dark and confident in what he was doing. so they are out there, but you don't see them a whole lot

Frank
Old 03-21-2018, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Fly Fishermen: Can They Handle the Truth?

Just read this entire thread. Yes, I know, here goes that nut rummaging around in the basement again. I couldn't help compare this to more recent threads about fly fishing the salt. Seems like fly fishing has come some distance towards being accepted by the big rod crowd. The ones I see in my home waters don't seem to mind getting their fannies kicked by wind and waves and while I don't usually see them at night I know they are out there because we exchange some info when we meet at the various lots and walk ons. Of course there is still some perceived snobbery about fly fishing but I wouldn't want to call those guys who fish the Salmon River in Jan / Feb a bunch of elitists or sissies. Times have changed and while I love my surfcasting I find myself more and more looking for the fly rod opportunities. Afterall, I just bought two new surf rods for 2018 and seem to have most of the fly rod numerical series filled in.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:50 AM
SS/Veteran

Old ideas die hard. We have a bunch of traditionalists who just won't let go of their overly heavy Harnell pool cues. Things of custom are often tied together. Time was when we were all fishing for money and sought as many fish as we could to sell them. Now, it is no sale and one fish which makes the stakes different.

Even in hunting the rifle or long gun season is so short, usually two weeks, that it pays to do other things like archery and, or, muzzleloading. Fishing or hunting change begets change and you have to respond to it.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Some random comments after reading this whole thread:

Someone mentioned having matching fly gear and clothes. On a very warm day one September I was wet-wading while flyfishing the Salmon River with my cheap, blue flyline. One guy started busting my chops. I was wearing shorts the same color as the line. I didn't do it on purpose... I swear...no, really.

Someone mentioned enjoying catching a bunch of fish on Sluggos in front of the fly guys. I've done that (well, it was a small bunch of small fish). I had a guy on the MV ferry tell me that his crew did ok that week on small, sparsely tied Clouser Minnows, but that someone should invent a "Sluggo Fly".

Someone else mentioned a line of fly anglers along a beach. One area I fish is like that almost every evening in June. Fly guys show up near dusk, fish well after dark, all night, or hit the beach early, before false dawn. The area is a long shallow flat and fish can be caught along its gentle currents anywhere and anytime. The area lends it self well to the almost-shoulder-to-shoulder configuration.

And like someone else mentioned, people fear for their lives if you're a sloppy caster...

I too am an angler first, fly angler second. If I think I can reach 'em with a fly rod I'll use it, but I usually carry a second rod to make a few casts further out. I love any kind of lure/fly fishing. I only use bait ice fishing. I have mostly inexpensive fly gear that's been moderately maintained. The fish don't care if my gear, lures or flies are Orvis, L.L., or Walmart...as long as it looks edible.