Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:16 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Fly Fishermen: Can They Handle the Truth?

People look down their noses at fly fishing. I try not to take any open position for fear of some sort of confrontation. That 25 years I spent on the Cape taught me to seek the background. I remember vividly the assaults that were often unleashed upon other surfmen. Nobody ever took a poke at me but that is because I always walked away. Later years were awful regarding assaults. Fly fishing often caused trouble because I could catch a lot of stripers in front of guys who thought theirs was the only way. One bunch of three, if you did too well they would pick a fight.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:37 PM

It amazes me that people get nuts about fish. Sometime it's the fly they want, other times it's an 8" danny plug. You and I can't help that but we can adjust to it. Why that ticks folks off is bizarre.
There is this one guy, Rico, who keeps a fly rod in his surf buggy as I do. He can catch all we wants...not thinking anyone , two or three would want to mess with Rico.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:45 AM
SS/Veteran

Its not as bad today but back then, when people were making big money selling fish, the hostility dripped. When grown men are fishing together they can push a guy, like me, fishing with his wife off any point they want to take over. I had to leave fish many times, especially on the Cape. We had some great years on the Cape but I don't miss that crap at all today. My wife wiping the blood from the face of a guy who had his nose broken. Read Eastern Tides if you want to see the true Cape.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:50 PM

I was schooled (and almost spooled) buy a large striper on the fly rod this year. There was no comparison between the albies I was landing before dark and the 4 ft. striper I hooked in a tidal rip at dusk. I didn't break her off, the hook point broke. It's the one time I felt under gunned with fly tackle.

Mark C
Old 03-29-2018, 09:57 AM
SS/Veteran

Yes, Mark, that is going to happen. It is one of the charms of fly fishing -- to experience that sense of helplessness. As for the broken hook, that is the manufacturer's fault. Bad heat treating and I have seen that before. I have seen hooks so soft that they acted like they were made of rubber. If left in the oven at heat treating, they come out like rubber; or, if taken out too soon, they can be brittle. Quality control in some industries can be wanting. Its like a parachute that don't open.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:14 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Not related to a hook, but I had a relatively new spool of 30lb penn big game that turned out to be bad last year.

Had probably a dozen+ mysterious breakoffs until I finally figured out the root cause, that the entire spool had weak spots. You could tie a leader that was full strength and the next one would break with very light pressure.

Point is, that's not limited to flyfishing!
Old 03-30-2018, 07:20 PM
SS/Veteran

Equip failures can happen at any time. For instance, you can shoot at a monster big game animal and get a "click". Bad primer in a shell. Or, more commonly with black powder, simply non-ignition.

In fishing the line could have been stored improperly in heat or sun. Something at the factory. I have always gotten the heebie-jeebies over fear of a bad knot. After a night of action fishing, I have always gone around and rechecked the knots by pulling on the bumper of the buggy. Stuff can go wrong. Of course these days losing a fish is no big deal; you are likely to throw the buggah back anyways. (I find it hard to relate to the world of release.) Sheet, I have one fish two minutes after I have my first pee. And with an enlarged prostrate I have peed three times on the way to the beach.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:07 PM

Was out with a professional surfcaster in May of 2016. He asked me to show him my bag, which I did. He pulled a darter out and said "these are the old Mustad hook"s and proceeded to snap it apart barehanded...new hook, no rust. Then he grabbed a slightly ( IMO ) rusted swimmer out of the bag which I had rigged with VMC 4X hooks the prior season...snapped, rust he said. That single episode has caused me to really focus on the hooks, connections, knots, line abrasion near the leader and leader abrasion near the plug....all sorts of potential trouble. Eliminate the variables I can and hope / pray everything else is good stuff. The three biggest fish I ever dropped were 1) two lines joined together 2) spit hook on a long third run and 3) line break on a long deep run at False Bar, Montauk late one night. Problem analysis Me / Bad Luck / Product deficiency.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:32 PM
SS/Veteran

I was a Journeyman Machinist before I went into teaching. As an apprentice one of the first things I learned was that you should not trust everything. Often many things fail to meet their intended purpose. In addition to one's own operator error, there are any number of things that could go wrong. Guns that misfire or fail to go off; sand gets into a reel; poorly stored line with its strength compromised, lots of things. Not just manufacturing flaws but also poor judgement on the part of the angler. Erratic drag performance. Its a long list. Fishing or hunting, be watchful for decline in performance.

In hunting the gun can perform erraticly. The scope sight can go out of zero because of a gun drop, hunter trip or some mystical event that lacks definition. Then, all of a sudden, your flippin long-gun is putting projectiles a foot or more from where it was intended. For that reason the muzzleloaders that have to be emptied at season's end are emptied on the range and checked for accuracy at the same time. When that piece goes into the safe clean, it has also been tested for scope performance; there are few bad rifles but a lot of bad scopes.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:53 PM

No doubt a lot of what we deem as equipment failure is really just a lack of proper maintenance or just a casual approach to storing things correctly...sort of a slow creep of problem working it's way into the system undetected...and then Moby comes along and teaches us a lesson.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:26 PM
SS/Veteran

The evening ritual before starting a night of surfcasting was always to attach the hook or lure to the front bumper and pull like a buggah. Money fishing failure was NEVER an option. Some of those bass were worth $100 at the dock. and in those days we didn't have a miss to pot in.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:01 PM

$100 dollars then, now that value is a much bigger number from what I hear. inflation has a way of doing that. As for pulling against the bumper or some other truck part ? I never thought of that. Easy enough to work into the setup rotation.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:25 AM
SS/Veteran

Remember also that I was dealing with six of us fishing. While these little girls were competent one could have had equipment issues and just took a different rod the next night and leave a screwed up situation for their sister to deal with. I had to watch everybody as well as urge them to report any suspitious flaws. Again, it was about money.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:57 PM

And not seeing little girls crying !
Old 04-12-2018, 10:28 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG@Breezy View Post
And not seeing little girls crying !
Let me tell you they cried plenty. I had a bonus system and they competed like mad for the bonus money. They smoothed things by sharing bonus money evenly. I paid them for what they caught and had to claim the payment to them to the IRS. Then the IRS came after them. But students under 18 have no tax liability so the tax man had to lump his claims. Read that marvelous treatise of mine -- Eastern Tides -- if you want more tax stuff.