Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 AM

Default E-Tex

What causes E-Tex to wrinkle I just made 16 plugs and on about 8 of the plugs the e-tex wrinkled? On one of the 8 the effect looked good uniform size of the wrinkles made it feel and look like fish scale.

Tim
Old 04-12-2011, 03:40 PM

Default Re: E-Tex

sounds like the paint below the etex let go when the etex was applied. Whats you
sealer primer paint combo?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:52 PM

the paint under the e-tex is fine its just the e-tex thats screwed up. I use a e-tex seal and use delta cream coat for paint mixed with createx illustration base to thin it. I think that maybe I screwed up by wiping down the plug with DA and not letting it dry well enough before I e-texed it. Plus the heater was on at 110 before I realized it was that high and turned it off. Not sure what really happened but it happened to just a few plugs.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:20 AM

old dog are you sure it's not the paint under?? I'm betting there was a solvent in there somewhere that caused the wrinkling...It's pretty common on water based paints because it re-solvenates them..
Old 04-13-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltybugger View Post
old dog are you sure it's not the paint under?? I'm betting there was a solvent in there somewhere that caused the wrinkling...It's pretty common on water based paints because it re-solvenates them..
This is the first it has happened, although this is only my third set of plugs, this has not happened on the other ones. I think the DA that I used to clean the plugs before e-texing was not completely dry. I am changing the method to something new. Now I will be sealing with e-tex, priming with Zinnser B-I-N in the red can, using createx paint for painting and KBS diamond clear coat for the finish. How do you think that will work?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:49 PM

I think you'll have to try it...kbs has solvents in it which may not work over other stuff...go REALLY thin on there and use their #1 thinner to cut it down some...it will bubble in any areas where the boating is too thick or where it puddles.