Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 08-05-2017, 06:03 PM

Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvsusaf View Post
More about the sun:
Fortunately for me my daughter 'bugged' me enough about 15 years ago to get something checked out by a dermatologist. Turned out it was a malignant melanoma. Had it taken care of and it was early enough that 15 years later I am still here to pass out some advice.

I am of Celtic origins so I am predisposed to skin cancer. I now use 30 to 50 sun screen, wear a Tilley hat and sun gloves from Australia. Shirts are long sleeve 50 UVF rated and I use a sun mask or whatever they are called around my neck which can cover 100% of what is exposed.

As a side note my dermatologist ( Emmanuel Kuflik, M.D.) is also a Vietnam vet and I said "do you think I can qualify for some VA compensation for this?". He laughed and said you got this from a "baking" you got when you were a kid.

Hey at least I am still here. Please don't let your kids or your grandkids out without sunscreen. It does work!
I had precisely the same experience about 15 years ago. No recurrence, thank God. I'm not as careful as some of you guys though thinking that the damage was done in the 60s when getting a tan seemed somehow relevant....
Old 08-05-2017, 08:04 PM

Out today in the yak in the back of the rb from 7am-3pm 8 shorts biggest was 17 had a few swings and misses once i found some productive bottom the south wind switched to west and it went south for me went from drifting at .5 knts to 2knts and the wind wore me out trying to paddle would have been nice if the wind didn't pick up it was flat for the first few hrs and no boaters think i seen 5 boats all day
Old 08-05-2017, 08:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
I took my new salmon casting rod for a spin today, picked up six short fluke and this lost soul, all on gulp squido.
they are fun rods ...thanks for sharing
Old 08-05-2017, 09:06 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
This guy was waiting for a meal, I told him to catch his own.
Must be huddling out down here to get away from all the great whites up North ... Wait, what??

Got out with my grandsons today and had a blast on sunnies. And had one of the bass take one of our hooked sunnies, my 3 1/2 yr old grandson landed the 2-3 lber on a Spider-Man pole, siz 10 hook. Best catch of the year
Old 08-05-2017, 09:07 PM

Smile Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

He looks familiar!
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2017, 06:03 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
I wear sungloves; kind called "fingerless" because the fingers end at the last knuckle; great sun protection plus they are great for handling fish and keeping slime off your hands; I now wear them year round
sent you a pm some time back , did you open it ?
Old 08-06-2017, 01:41 PM

Launched out front this am moco...8 fluke 2 birds and a snag...no keepers but I only messed around out there for about 2 hours...surf break was about 2-3 at the launch depending on set which was more than the 1ft forecast but still pretty mellow...once I got about two miles out wind was a stronger and was working to hold bottom with 5 oz...and I didn't really bring any heavier stuff...fluke were all 16 and 17 inch and hit pretty good...gulp was my bait of choice
Old 08-06-2017, 03:07 PM

mvsusaf....
your advice regarding sun exposure is accurate and important, especially when children are involved. I was a U.S. Army medic (91B20) and two items on the medical report forms would get you a check mark in the "LINE OF DUTY -NO-" box.
1. frostbite
2. sunburn
They could get you an article 15 or worse if you missed duty. You could be pretty stupid and hit yourself in the head with a hammer and still get a " LINE OF DUTY YES".
I'm hoping you didn't get burnt bad enough to go on sick call and have it show up on your record. Also hoping all your medical stuff is a distant dot in your rear view mirror !
Old 08-06-2017, 07:45 PM

Finally able to get out to the surf after the past couple weeks of either crap weather or other obligations. Kind of a weird morning with no hits for the first few hours until the tide turned over and then had a steady bite for about an hour and a half and then it just shut down. Perfect conditions though, love when I can jig a half oz. my arms thank me. Picked out 13 fluke with one for the table at 19.5". Lot of spearing and snappers in the wash and was told of some bunker off of the rocks.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:39 PM

Moco 12p to 5p. Out front bottom of the tide to halfway up. NW wind that shifted to the West by 3p. Clean flat swell with some chest high sets. I caught six short fluke all around 17 inches and all spitting up sand crabs.They were healthy looking flat ones. All caught on casting gear with the high low rig and on the pink and white home-brew teaser. Here is a representative
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2017, 10:39 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
sent you a pm some time back , did you open it ?
don't have it in my file of messages
Old 08-07-2017, 05:48 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
don't have it in my file of messages
Sent it 12/1/16
Check you pm if not there you have me locked
Old 08-07-2017, 06:55 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
Moco 12p to 5p. Out front bottom of the tide to halfway up. NW wind that shifted to the West by 3p. Clean flat swell with some chest high sets. I caught six short fluke all around 17 inches and all spitting up sand crabs.They were healthy looking flat ones. All caught on casting gear with the high low rig and on the pink and white home-brew teaser. Here is a representative
beautiful!
Old 08-07-2017, 07:58 AM

I'm glad I brought up the sun / skin warnings thread. I will go out and find myself a pair of these sun gloves. I picked all my ancestors from the Emerald Isle or just across the water from there. My dad died with melanomas at age 87, if not from them, and was getting bits of his anatomy snipped and frozen off for decades as I recall.

I will find a spf 50 stick, too. The lotion I have washes off too quickly and into my eyes for a very special sort of discomfort.

Cheers, all.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:04 AM
SS/Veteran

^^^ " Buff "fishing gloves are wha I use = Amazon Prime