Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 08-20-2017, 09:23 AM

Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Moco RB, yesterday in the back again 6p to sundown with a dropping tide from the very top. The bay's surface was as flat as bath water and only a slight detectable breeze from the west. Acres of peanuts fluttering and relaxed, while I live lined a fresh netted juvenile on a slip float. With the absence of any moving water, I couldnt keep the live peanut away from the large blue claws that seemed to be everywhere. No flat ones or other gamefish observed, but a beautiful evening.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:07 AM
SS/Veteran

As predicted SW Florida early am beaches has been a struggle w/ 90 degree water temp produced a few Snook , couple jacks , Artie's only and the 8w , the teenagers are having fun live lining white bait , many Bonnet sharks & plenty of photos . It all about fun !
Old 08-20-2017, 06:52 PM

Thumbs up Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
As predicted SW Florida early am beaches has been a struggle w/ 90 degree water temp produced a few Snook , couple jacks , Artie's only and the 8w , the teenagers are having fun live lining white bait , many Bonnet sharks & plenty of photos . It all about fun !
Post some of those photos when you get a chance hook..i miss Florida! Where did you end up in the SW?
Old 08-20-2017, 08:20 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunka bullsht View Post
Post some of those photos when you get a chance hook..i miss Florida! Where did you end up in the SW?
I'm pretty much from WC Florida St Joseph Sound Honeymoon Island ,Long Key , Terra Cia bay , Sarasota , Charlotte Harbor , doing some solo guides ( flats )and visiting the out- laws and some family . I pick a beach at 6:30am ( still dark until 7am rise ) low am tides this week next week should be better . Every day 4 hours each am . I'll try to put some up when something is worthy , testing out a 10w on Wednesday Hope it's lucky . Here until the 30th
Old 08-21-2017, 02:45 AM

Boat trip today with a friend for about 2 hours this afternoon...picked up about 15 fish between the pair of us...robins, fluke, and sea bass...picked up more bass on the drifts than fluke, if we were serious about it we probably would have done well under anchor but it was a casual run...buddy had one keeper sea bass that made the cooler ...two more weeks until fluke season is over and I certainly welcome it like the end of a long boring movie...I'm already itching to put all my fluke stuff away... here is a picture of a fish
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettyjmpr View Post
Boat trip today with a friend for about 2 hours this afternoon...picked up about 15 fish between the pair of us...robins, fluke, and sea bass...picked up more bass on the drifts than fluke, if we were serious about it we probably would have done well under anchor but it was a casual run...buddy had one keeper sea bass that made the cooler ...two more weeks until fluke season is over and I certainly welcome it like the end of a long boring movie...I'm already itching to put all my fluke stuff away... here is a picture of a fish
so that's what they look like
Old 08-21-2017, 12:06 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

LOL... seabass always invade inshore about this time of year

It's funny, fishing a pier down in Florida, the trick is to figure out a method to *not* catch fish... ie, to target only what you *want*. Unbelievable aquariums down there.

Here, we have magazines writing up how to cook skate and searobins... and yet folks are even happy to catch them, with so few fish around!
Old 08-21-2017, 02:26 PM

Headed to the mid-shore tuna grounds yesterday about 40-50miles out on a friend's boat. A little bumpy ride out in some solid 4-5' tight swells.

Arrived to find a total False Albacore invasion with a handful of bonito, bluefish, and skipjack mixed in.

Final count was somewhere in the dozens of albies...Funny how they have no problem eating bigger baits with 130-170# leader in 100' of water but inshore everyone claims you need 10# fluro (I don't share the same opinion).

Kept some bonito to eat and a couple of albies to make swordfish baits out of. All fish were absolutely stuffed with small sand eels.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:40 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post

It's funny, fishing a pier down in Florida, the trick is to figure out a method to *not* catch fish... ie, to target only what you *want*. Unbelievable aquariums down there.

Here, we have magazines writing up how to cook skate and searobins... and yet folks are even happy to catch them, with so few fish around!
At this point, I can't wait for the hickorys to show
Old 08-21-2017, 09:31 PM

Moco Out front 5p-8p Incoming tide, strong south wind with some gusting and right to left wave direction and waist high swells. worked a 1 i/2 mile of beachfront using casting gear and the high low rig. No flat ones or any bites. Saw several cow nose rays and a large number of small spearing or rain fish being washed up by the swells with the terns and co picking it all off. Had a dead ringer for the baitfish on the high rig with no results.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
At this point, I can't wait for the hickorys to show
That's the truth. I haven't even tried targeting fluke. All my trips consisted of a crappie rod and snapper zappers
Old 08-21-2017, 10:51 PM

Thumbs down Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Passed 2 days did some crabbing and fishing in barnegat bay. The crabs are super small still, some keepers mixed in but ratio is about 20-25 shorts to 1 keeper.
Fishing report - bay has good amount of snappers. Tried ocean side this morning, 1 short fluke and 1 snapper. Really was looking for 1-3# blues but nothing of size down there other than brown sharks...
Old 08-21-2017, 11:21 PM

kayaked out of UB today before the eclipse fizzle. 10 nice size fat shorts. Power drifting fresh peanut Bunker is the only thing that worked except for one fish on gulp. Saw a couple pods of Dolphin right outside the sailboats in Keyport. (Sorry about the spot burn but IMHO it ain't worth S%&# LOL)
Old 08-21-2017, 11:45 PM
Senior Fellow

lets hope the sand eels find their way in later in the Fall
Old 08-22-2017, 08:39 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

small snappers are GREAT fluke baits right about now, better than peanuts because they are hardier. If they are too big than snapper strips. If you go out again, collect 'em and use 'em.