Home

 
     HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING
 
Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #226  
Old 08-27-2017, 03:33 PM
jettyjmpr's Avatar
jettyjmpr jettyjmpr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 265
Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

I tried again this morning...first fish was a 16 inch fat fluke.. after that though...another rough fish morning with 10 robins and some nipped gulp tails so I hung up the gulp for the summer...saw only 4 or 5 short fluke caught by others along with more hordes of robins...switched to one of the teasers bayaker tied me this spring...picked up two gurnards before i left with confidence that the teasers work atleast...robins and 6 inch blues all over the beach totally epic bro ...Going to switch out my tackle this week load up for fall fishing...hope sept. shows us all something...ignore the fish, this is a teaser picture
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 08-27-2017, 08:06 PM
Bayyaker's Avatar
Bayyaker Bayyaker is online now
SS/Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,589
Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettyjmpr View Post
I tried again this morning...first fish was a 16 inch fat fluke.. after that though...another rough fish morning with 10 robins and some nipped gulp tails so I hung up the gulp for the summer...saw only 4 or 5 short fluke caught by others along with more hordes of robins...switched to one of the teasers bayaker tied me this spring...picked up two gurnards before i left with confidence that the teasers work atleast...robins and 6 inch blues all over the beach totally epic bro ...Going to switch out my tackle this week load up for fall fishing...hope sept. shows us all something...ignore the fish, this is a teaser picture
Glad you were able to catch on it, even if it was only a bird. Let's hope the stripes find it eventually.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 08-27-2017, 09:40 PM
yarddog yarddog is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: new jersey
Posts: 378
Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
something is up; second one I missed...can you try again
Bill sent u another PM.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 08-28-2017, 08:36 AM
yarddog yarddog is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: new jersey
Posts: 378
Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Traveled south the last three days to ocean county to drive the beach. The sharp ones were catching a fluke, black fish and a triggerfish here and there, but not in great abundance, at all. Far more peeps backed up to the water barbecuing and consuming adult beverages, than fishing. I was extremely dull, in both areas. Short striped ones were caught at night on swim shads.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 08-28-2017, 01:37 PM
Joseph C. Joseph C. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 568
Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

It looks like a hard east wind most of tomorrow with rain thrown in. Is it worth a daytime run to the beach or bay to try my luck or do you think I should save my gas for a better weather day? I was going to head for Seaside and IBSP.
Thanks for your guesses.
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 08-28-2017, 01:42 PM
Joseph C. Joseph C. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 568
Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

...and I just found 2 nice old star crab traps at a yard sale for $1 each. I'm itching to give them a shot, too. Do the crabs hunker down and get scarce when the wind blows? I can find a spot that's pretty sheltered on the bay, but don't know much about crab psychology.
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 08-28-2017, 02:30 PM
HookI's Avatar
HookI HookI is online now
SS/Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 2,505
Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
Been here a few weeks the beaches been slow with 90+ degree water temps but did manage a few Snook , plenty of Jacks . 8w Did a solo charter this am with Capt . Barkley ( secret squirrel) in his 18' Hells Bay flats boat plenty of Trout , Mackerel, Jacks , Snapper = 5w over the Tampa Bay flats Ft De Soto area
8/26. 6:30am -8am
dark , windy and the lighting show .almost low tidegoing out @ Pass A Grille Started with the MirrOLure top water ( glow ) produced 1snook 16"-18 " a lot of misses with not many aggressive takes . 2 jacks also on the small side . Needed the extra yardage to hit the second trough . switched to the MirrOLure little John glow 1/4 oz ZMan jig produced another 2 jacks .it was over by 7:45 birds left and so did the fish . The Big Boss made the very rare appearance to catch the sunrise & lightning show . Breakfast @ the local stop eggs Grits &Cheese , corned beef hash toast coffee ,juice .
8/28 6:30 am - 9am
windy and rolling surf three am in a row left the fly rod in the car again . Black / Sliver spook produced a few lady fish and a small Snook .
switched it up to a Skidder style buck tail yellow Chartreuse and a lot of flash produced 1Tarpon for about 10 min on the CI4 4000 until the 1st jump and came in buttoned . Surprised me totally cause I did not see it tailing in about 6' of water . 20-30lbs ?
__________________
Let the Big Ones Go
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 08-28-2017, 02:50 PM
jettyjmpr's Avatar
jettyjmpr jettyjmpr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 265
Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
8/26. 6:30am -8am
dark , windy and the lighting show .almost low tidegoing out @ Pass A Grille Started with the MirrOLure top water ( glow ) produced 1snook 16"-18 " a lot of misses with not many aggressive takes . 2 jacks also on the small side . Needed the extra yardage to hit the second trough . switched to the MirrOLure little John glow 1/4 oz ZMan jig produced another 2 jacks .it was over by 7:45 birds left and so did the fish . The Big Boss made the very rare appearance to catch the sunrise & lightning show . Breakfast @ the local stop eggs Grits &Cheese , corned beef hash toast coffee ,juice .
8/28 6:30 am - 9am
windy and rolling surf three am in a row left the fly rod in the car again . Black / Sliver spook produced a few lady fish and a small Snook .
switched it up to a Skidder style buck tail yellow Chartreuse and a lot of flash produced 1Tarpon for about 10 min on the CI4 4000 until the 1st jump and came in buttoned . Surprised me totally cause I did not see it tailing in about 6' of water . 20-30lbs ?
Nice report....better than here
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 08-28-2017, 07:06 PM
billwrubel's Avatar
billwrubel billwrubel is online now
Senior Fellow
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,850
Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

weather forecast looks wicked tomorrow; tried tog again...one small one and two miniature sea bass again; maybe 6-7 in; real rod benders
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 08-28-2017, 07:10 PM
RobS's Avatar
RobS RobS is offline
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: living near the least productive waters of the NE
Posts: 17,036
Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Bill, you fishing with green crab? Have you tried blue crabs?
__________________
-- Rob Switzer
~~~~~ ><((((?> ~~~~~
http://stripersandtrout.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 08-28-2017, 07:45 PM
bunka bullsht's Avatar
bunka bullsht bunka bullsht is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: nj
Posts: 639
Thumbs up Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
weather forecast looks wicked tomorrow; tried tog again...one small one and two miniature sea bass again; maybe 6-7 in; real rod benders
This won't be good good for tog but break out the ultra-light. Makes these 6-7" fish fun! 2000 size reel 6# test
Hopefully the bigger ones show in bigger numbers soon before we all lose our minds.
My report- no fishing. Dog got a tplo surgery to fix his ccl, haven't left his side in 4 days. He's looking better though
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 08-28-2017, 09:45 PM
billwrubel's Avatar
billwrubel billwrubel is online now
Senior Fellow
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,850
Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Bill, you fishing with green crab? Have you tried blue crabs?
Rob...I use frozen shrimp; I'm still learning the hook set and crabs just disappear off my hook; shrimp give me better shot; curl them on the hook and I do better; will move to crabs when I get some confidence...............sometime in 4-5 years
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 08-28-2017, 10:11 PM
RobS's Avatar
RobS RobS is offline
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: living near the least productive waters of the NE
Posts: 17,036
Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Pick up a couple of blue claws ( ok maybe 4 or 5 ), or any crab for that matter, remove top shell, remove legs with scissors, cut body using 2 legs, hook in one socket and out the other making sure the barb "catches" in shell but with hook exposed.

Have enough to be able to cull through smalls, that shrimp will never last long enough for a keeper, because everything loves shrimp

I have caught using even plain legs if the bite is good but in general use the body primarily.
__________________
-- Rob Switzer
~~~~~ ><((((?> ~~~~~
http://stripersandtrout.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 08-29-2017, 10:57 AM
billwrubel's Avatar
billwrubel billwrubel is online now
Senior Fellow
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,850
Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

thanks Rob; will give it a try; gain some confidence is my goal; don't have to tell you they are tough
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 08-29-2017, 11:53 AM
RobS's Avatar
RobS RobS is offline
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: living near the least productive waters of the NE
Posts: 17,036
Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
thanks Rob; will give it a try; gain some confidence is my goal; don't have to tell you they are tough
local crabs work great... spider, blue, fiddlers, if you find a rocky area with crabs under them... use them. green crab is the "standard" but not exclusive. Mole crabs work but also little sea bass LOVE them, unfortunately.

blue crab, with 3/0 or 4/0, seems to help cull out the little ones, to a degree, but you just have to work through all the smalls until the water cools. Also, note that until you get a LOT of experience, you can't tell the size of the fish by the bite. If your rig gets picked up and moved (not by the current), however, it's generally b i g, get the hook set
__________________
-- Rob Switzer
~~~~~ ><((((?> ~~~~~
http://stripersandtrout.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
August 2015 Fishing Reports Jess Fishing - New Jersey 155 08-31-2015 10:36 PM
August Fishing Reports 2011 Jess Fishing - New Jersey 86 09-01-2011 08:36 AM
Fishing Reports July 16th - 31st 09 Jess Fishing - New Jersey 23 08-03-2009 11:49 AM
Fishing Reports July 1st - 15th 09 Jess Fishing - New Jersey 23 07-16-2009 10:19 AM
Harbor Tackle August Fishing Reports btf Fishing - Delaware & Maryland 1 08-27-2008 11:16 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2016 StriperSurf.com, All Rights Reserved