Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 08-27-2017, 03:33 PM

Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

I tried again this morning...first fish was a 16 inch fat fluke.. after that though...another rough fish morning with 10 robins and some nipped gulp tails so I hung up the gulp for the summer...saw only 4 or 5 short fluke caught by others along with more hordes of robins...switched to one of the teasers bayaker tied me this spring...picked up two gurnards before i left with confidence that the teasers work atleast...robins and 6 inch blues all over the beach totally epic bro ...Going to switch out my tackle this week load up for fall fishing...hope sept. shows us all something...ignore the fish, this is a teaser picture
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2017, 08:06 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettyjmpr View Post
I tried again this morning...first fish was a 16 inch fat fluke.. after that though...another rough fish morning with 10 robins and some nipped gulp tails so I hung up the gulp for the summer...saw only 4 or 5 short fluke caught by others along with more hordes of robins...switched to one of the teasers bayaker tied me this spring...picked up two gurnards before i left with confidence that the teasers work atleast...robins and 6 inch blues all over the beach totally epic bro ...Going to switch out my tackle this week load up for fall fishing...hope sept. shows us all something...ignore the fish, this is a teaser picture
Glad you were able to catch on it, even if it was only a bird. Let's hope the stripes find it eventually.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
something is up; second one I missed...can you try again
Bill sent u another PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:36 AM

Traveled south the last three days to ocean county to drive the beach. The sharp ones were catching a fluke, black fish and a triggerfish here and there, but not in great abundance, at all. Far more peeps backed up to the water barbecuing and consuming adult beverages, than fishing. I was extremely dull, in both areas. Short striped ones were caught at night on swim shads.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:37 PM

It looks like a hard east wind most of tomorrow with rain thrown in. Is it worth a daytime run to the beach or bay to try my luck or do you think I should save my gas for a better weather day? I was going to head for Seaside and IBSP.
Thanks for your guesses.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:42 PM

...and I just found 2 nice old star crab traps at a yard sale for $1 each. I'm itching to give them a shot, too. Do the crabs hunker down and get scarce when the wind blows? I can find a spot that's pretty sheltered on the bay, but don't know much about crab psychology.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:30 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
Been here a few weeks the beaches been slow with 90+ degree water temps but did manage a few Snook , plenty of Jacks . 8w Did a solo charter this am with Capt . Barkley ( secret squirrel) in his 18' Hells Bay flats boat plenty of Trout , Mackerel, Jacks , Snapper = 5w over the Tampa Bay flats Ft De Soto area
8/26. 6:30am -8am
dark , windy and the lighting show .almost low tidegoing out @ Pass A Grille Started with the MirrOLure top water ( glow ) produced 1snook 16"-18 " a lot of misses with not many aggressive takes . 2 jacks also on the small side . Needed the extra yardage to hit the second trough . switched to the MirrOLure little John glow 1/4 oz ZMan jig produced another 2 jacks .it was over by 7:45 birds left and so did the fish . The Big Boss made the very rare appearance to catch the sunrise & lightning show . Breakfast @ the local stop eggs Grits &Cheese , corned beef hash toast coffee ,juice .
8/28 6:30 am - 9am
windy and rolling surf three am in a row left the fly rod in the car again . Black / Sliver spook produced a few lady fish and a small Snook .
switched it up to a Skidder style buck tail yellow Chartreuse and a lot of flash produced 1Tarpon for about 10 min on the CI4 4000 until the 1st jump and came in buttoned . Surprised me totally cause I did not see it tailing in about 6' of water . 20-30lbs ?
Old 08-28-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
8/26. 6:30am -8am
dark , windy and the lighting show .almost low tidegoing out @ Pass A Grille Started with the MirrOLure top water ( glow ) produced 1snook 16"-18 " a lot of misses with not many aggressive takes . 2 jacks also on the small side . Needed the extra yardage to hit the second trough . switched to the MirrOLure little John glow 1/4 oz ZMan jig produced another 2 jacks .it was over by 7:45 birds left and so did the fish . The Big Boss made the very rare appearance to catch the sunrise & lightning show . Breakfast @ the local stop eggs Grits &Cheese , corned beef hash toast coffee ,juice .
8/28 6:30 am - 9am
windy and rolling surf three am in a row left the fly rod in the car again . Black / Sliver spook produced a few lady fish and a small Snook .
switched it up to a Skidder style buck tail yellow Chartreuse and a lot of flash produced 1Tarpon for about 10 min on the CI4 4000 until the 1st jump and came in buttoned . Surprised me totally cause I did not see it tailing in about 6' of water . 20-30lbs ?
Nice report....better than here
Old 08-28-2017, 07:06 PM
Senior Fellow

weather forecast looks wicked tomorrow; tried tog again...one small one and two miniature sea bass again; maybe 6-7 in; real rod benders
Old 08-28-2017, 07:10 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Bill, you fishing with green crab? Have you tried blue crabs?
Old 08-28-2017, 07:45 PM

Thumbs up Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Quote:
weather forecast looks wicked tomorrow; tried tog again...one small one and two miniature sea bass again; maybe 6-7 in; real rod benders
This won't be good good for tog but break out the ultra-light. Makes these 6-7" fish fun! 2000 size reel 6# test
Hopefully the bigger ones show in bigger numbers soon before we all lose our minds.
My report- no fishing. Dog got a tplo surgery to fix his ccl, haven't left his side in 4 days. He's looking better though
Old 08-28-2017, 09:45 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Bill, you fishing with green crab? Have you tried blue crabs?
Rob...I use frozen shrimp; I'm still learning the hook set and crabs just disappear off my hook; shrimp give me better shot; curl them on the hook and I do better; will move to crabs when I get some confidence...............sometime in 4-5 years
Old 08-28-2017, 10:11 PM

Pick up a couple of blue claws ( ok maybe 4 or 5 ), or any crab for that matter, remove top shell, remove legs with scissors, cut body using 2 legs, hook in one socket and out the other making sure the barb "catches" in shell but with hook exposed.

Have enough to be able to cull through smalls, that shrimp will never last long enough for a keeper, because everything loves shrimp

I have caught using even plain legs if the bite is good but in general use the body primarily.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:57 AM
Senior Fellow

thanks Rob; will give it a try; gain some confidence is my goal; don't have to tell you they are tough
Old 08-29-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
thanks Rob; will give it a try; gain some confidence is my goal; don't have to tell you they are tough
local crabs work great... spider, blue, fiddlers, if you find a rocky area with crabs under them... use them. green crab is the "standard" but not exclusive. Mole crabs work but also little sea bass LOVE them, unfortunately.

blue crab, with 3/0 or 4/0, seems to help cull out the little ones, to a degree, but you just have to work through all the smalls until the water cools. Also, note that until you get a LOT of experience, you can't tell the size of the fish by the bite. If your rig gets picked up and moved (not by the current), however, it's generally b i g, get the hook set