Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 07-15-2017, 08:04 PM

Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Did a half day fluke trip (slow) and spent the other half of the day on anchor which was much better.

Load of porgies, 15-20 keeper sea bass (only keeping 4 man limit) and 7 triggers (released a small one).

Seen a few rays out there and even had a cobia come up to the boat...tossed a bucktail at him but didn't connect.
Name:  7-15-17.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  205.5 KB
Old 07-15-2017, 08:40 PM

nomoco this afternoon out front, outgoing tide. 3 short fluke, covered a lot of ground. Did see a pod of dolphins and a big school of rays riding the waves.

Hit the back early this morning. A lot of bait out getting harassed by small snappers. Wish I had a cast net. Could not connect with any fluke. Tried to catch snappers for bait with a small kastmaster but failed. They were the perfect size too...
Old 07-15-2017, 09:19 PM

On vacation in Cape May and hit Townsends Inlet for the past few days...wife caught 20 inch fluke, I got seven triggers and short fluke. Another angler graciously gave me a nice 23 inch weakfish he caught at low tide on the bridge. Had a large runoff and snap of the line at Cape May Point beach but no other hits.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:52 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside1 View Post
On vacation in Cape May and hit Townsends Inlet for the past few days...wife caught 20 inch fluke, I got seven triggers and short fluke. Another angler graciously gave me a nice 23 inch weakfish he caught at low tide on the bridge. Had a large runoff and snap of the line at Cape May Point beach but no other hits.
You might need heavier line at the point.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2017, 10:31 PM

Late afternoon session in the back 5 short fluke one keeper on white gulp...large pod of adult bunker so i snagged one for a belly strip which did land me a 16 inch... occasional topwater pop but no visual confirmations as to there being fish on them...anticipation kept building that something was on those fish an hour later after i stayed on the pods the action started with peanuts showing in the mix with fish now busting on top...blitzing birds all around me so i put on x-rap and 30 seconds later im hooked up going for the ride...so the big XXX blues are back...picked 3 about 12-14 lbs lost another 4 on sp minnow...bite was dead as quick as it lit up...i will be out again at first light
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2017, 10:34 PM

Moco Out front with an outgoing tide in the afternoon until sundown. No flat ones landed, but numerous micro fluke chasing the plastic swirly tail. Not swim bait observe. I did see several bass in the trough rooting for mole crabs which were numerous
Old 07-16-2017, 05:52 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcal4404 View Post
nomoco this afternoon out front, outgoing tide. 3 short fluke, covered a lot of ground. Did see a pod of dolphins and a big school of rays riding the waves.

Hit the back early this morning. A lot of bait out getting harassed by small snappers. Wish I had a cast net. Could not connect with any fluke. Tried to catch snappers for bait with a small kastmaster but failed. They were the perfect size too...
yup tis the season, don't leave home without a cast net and a bubbler bucket
Old 07-16-2017, 05:54 AM

Thumbs up Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettyjmpr View Post
Late afternoon session in the back 5 short fluke one keeper on white gulp...large pod of adult bunker so i snagged one for a belly strip which did land me a 16 inch... occasional topwater pop but no visual confirmations as to there being fish on them...anticipation kept building that something was on those fish an hour later after i stayed on the pods the action started with peanuts showing in the mix with fish now busting on top...blitzing birds all around me so i put on x-rap and 30 seconds later im hooked up going for the ride...so the big XXX blues are back...picked 3 about 12-14 lbs lost another 4 on sp minnow...bite was dead as quick as it lit up...i will be out again at first light
that's funny those big blues are around again... thought july/early august they were all out deep
Old 07-16-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
Moco Out front with an outgoing tide in the afternoon until sundown. No flat ones landed, but numerous micro fluke chasing the plastic swirly tail. Not swim bait observe. I did see several bass in the trough rooting for mole crabs which were numerous
so why didn't you get some mole crabs and accommodate them

I've been there trying to hook up with bass in the trough at times, with frustration, so don't think I've got the answers ...
Old 07-16-2017, 05:55 AM

And congrats to all who got out, nice varied reports!
Old 07-16-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
that's funny those big blues are around again... thought july/early august they were all out deep
I know it's very out of balance....water read 78-79 yesterday

Out today water was reading 4 degrees cooler than yesterday....i fished a different spot but still same general region...slow morning 7 shorts that I moved around to find....im going to concentrate my efforts out t front for the remainder of the summer
Old 07-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Senior Member Team SS

WTG all Nice reports thanks
Hopefully I can get out again someday work seems to keep getting in the way

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 07-16-2017, 08:26 PM

Out yesterday late morning to mid afternoon in belmar only one hook up but lost it before i got see what it was felt like a small blue by the way it was running other than that nada even soaked clams for awhile after i got tired of bucktailing just hoping to catch a skate or a dogfish to feel some life on the end of the line but no takers did see a few cownose rays around anybody know a decent stretch of beach to try sharking a buddy of mine keeps bugging me to shark fish but i have never targeted them so dont know what kinda of beach structure they like to hang around
Old 07-16-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
so why didn't you get some mole crabs and accommodate them

I've been there trying to hook up with bass in the trough at times, with frustration, so don't think I've got the answers ...
Rob, They were very spooky. As soon as I stepped closer to the trough they bolted for the deep. They kept coming back and I had to wait until they were swimming parallel to the lip and away from me to take a cast out in front of them. I had a mole crab high on the teaser loop, and a 3/4 ounce BT on the end. They wanted no part of the combo.

Moco today afternoon Top of the tide to the drop. One short while dodging the bikinis.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:53 AM

YD, yes that was my experience (w.r.t. spookiness) as well.

My thinking and hope was to go back and find them like that and not try to sight cast, but to lay a mole crab fly in the trough on a sinking line and let it flutter with the waves/current. Need the right conditions but it could work. Haven't been back with the right flies, nor conditions, since those years back when I encountered these warm weather bass cruising for the crabs.

This was one pattern: http://stripersandtrout.blogspot.com...er-winter.html

And here's one popular on the west coast for corbina chasing mole crabs: http://stripersandtrout.blogspot.com...in-merkin.html
(look up the surfin merkin... tied with a silver grey body and orange dumbell eyes to imitate the mole crab egg sac)

last but not least is Skok's Blind Crab (I have the pattern but have not tied a "reasonable" approximation):