Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 07-21-2017, 10:49 AM

Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Decided to go a do some solo kayak fishing in the LI Sound on Thursday 07-20...typical scenario...stopped for some porgy fishing ...caught over 2 dozen and kept 6 between 13" and 15"... then wanted to find some fluke and went to Hart Island ...very slow ...managed 5 shorts between 15-17"...fluke did not want gulp but they were hitting clam...go figure...the weather was hot and humid...water was around 76"...wind was 0 mph and I really needed some breeze...
Old 07-21-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
Finally got a chance to get offshore this summer and do some tuna fishing yesterday.

Left the dock on a friend's boat around 1am and we got to the spot just around day break.

We found a ton of life immediately but no signs of fish in it and too many other boats working the same area so we trolled away from the fleet and were rewarded almost immediately.

By 8:30am we had our under and over BFT limit along with a stray 60# yellowfin. The over taped out at 56" and I am estimating it was in the 110-120# range. All four fish were stuffed with 5-7' sand eels.

We stuck around for a couple more hours and played catch and release on another 100#+ BFT and small Mahi (too small to bother keeping) before calling it an early day.

Seen a mola mola, about a dozen turtles and no shortage of whales gorging on sand eels...nice to finally get back offshore!
Attachment 15978
Attachment 15979
Attachment 15980
Attachment 15981
Attachment 15982
Well done bro! Always look forward to your posts!
Old 07-21-2017, 12:48 PM

I too got out in a boat yesterday, though not quite as glamorously. A friend invited me to give it a try from Brielle and we went out around 11:30 AM and drifted a few spots with killies and squid strips. We got in a bit after 3:00 having caught about a dozen fish with one nice 20" keeper. I've worked harder for fewer fish.

Someday I'd love to try it ComputerUsers way. Much more in keeping with my personal style, and quieter, too.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:25 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Nobody is as glamorous as JB
Old 07-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Senior Member Team SS

Nice pics JB

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 07-22-2017, 08:34 PM

Got out with a friend today on his 19' cc...left dock about 7...we decided to try south a while so we turned right out of the inlet...we got to the spot as current was slowing/slacking immediately had hits on drop with 3oz...i kept getting hit but my buddy immediately boated a 16" so we were thinking it was gonna be great...current picked up and lost our mojo...made a couple moves but ended the day about 12pm only showing a couple sea robins, 3 short fluke, and a spotted hake...it got hard to hold bottom with 6 oz and we were drifting pretty fast...
Old 07-22-2017, 09:27 PM
SS/Veteran

This fluke season sucks, boat and sand. Might highlight of the day was a 20 minute ride with a cow nose ray.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:23 PM

Did our third fluke trip of the year yesterday, it was better than it has been but not great by any means.

We found a patch of life and pulled a few keepers from it but a lot of 17" fish. The area was getting pounded by a lot of boats with two major fluke tournaments going on (SI Tuna Club and Pt Pleasant Elks).

Around 11am I decided to run out and get our four man sea bass limit which didn't take very long.

From there we went and setup for blackfish. First drop was lifeless, second spot (my favorite triggerfish rock) had a diver on it so we went off to the third spot in a little deeper water.

There we had a pick of mixed sized blackfish, from just keeper size up to 7#.

Off to the last spot, in shallower water, looking to add some triggers to the cooler. We had a ton of life there which consisted of sea bass, blackfish to 8# (released), and triggerfish.

Overall a great day of mixed bag fishing.
Name:  IMG_20170722_175301-1024x774.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  302.2 KB
Old 07-23-2017, 07:07 PM
SS/Veteran

Your showing us consistently your fishing / captain skills of getting the catch . Not wasting time on beliefs but moving to another spot to get on them . Thanks for sharing
Old 07-23-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
This fluke season sucks, boat and sand. Might highlight of the day was a 20 minute ride with a cow nose ray.
I'll say, I had 1 today. My spot out front was completely unfishable just packed with grass and the new moon tide made it impossible to get to the lip. Had to move out back and it was just dead. My July has sucked so far.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
this. A few fish here and there for me but nothing consistent. Out front or out back, non-boat
Old 07-24-2017, 11:18 AM

was out saturday afternoon 3Pm-10pm (the keansburg flood gate closed and got stuck out till 10 LOL). Anyhow hit up out front of SH and the drift was just way to strong 4-6 mph. 8 oz was no where near holding. Headed back into bay and got into some sea robbins, dog fish and skates. Landed 1 18in fluke for the table. Still learning about the moon tides and how they affect boating fishing and tides etc. Hope to be out next weekend.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
Your showing us consistently your fishing / captain skills of getting the catch . Not wasting time on beliefs but moving to another spot to get on them . Thanks for sharing
Thanks hook.

I love to explore new spots, techniques, and fisheries. They don't always work out but plan B, C, D, E, F and sometimes G are usually there to bail me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TugaStriper View Post
was out saturday afternoon 3Pm-10pm (the keansburg flood gate closed and got stuck out till 10 LOL). Anyhow hit up out front of SH and the drift was just way to strong 4-6 mph. 8 oz was no where near holding. Headed back into bay and got into some sea robbins, dog fish and skates. Landed 1 18in fluke for the table. Still learning about the moon tides and how they affect boating fishing and tides etc. Hope to be out next weekend.
Hey Tuga,

It takes a lot of time on the water to learn and develop patterns; I am constantly adding more "pieces to the puzzle" myself.

The common consensus is that anything over a 2mph drift speed is a waste of time. I have personally caught a lot of fish in a 1.5-2.5mph drift using 8-16oz sinkers on a 3-way rig with big bait strips or 6" gulp grubs. If the drift is over 1.5mph and its wind vs tide I will make a move...

Anything under .5mph or over 2.5mph and I will also move to a different location.

There are days on these big moon tides or high wind days where the only place to drift that slow is at anchor or tied up to the dock
Old 07-25-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
Thanks hook.

I love to explore new spots, techniques, and fisheries. They don't always work out but plan B, C, D, E, F and sometimes G are usually there to bail me out.

Hey Tuga,

It takes a lot of time on the water to learn and develop patterns; I am constantly adding more "pieces to the puzzle" myself.

The common consensus is that anything over a 2mph drift speed is a waste of time. I have personally caught a lot of fish in a 1.5-2.5mph drift using 8-16oz sinkers on a 3-way rig with big bait strips or 6" gulp grubs. If the drift is over 1.5mph and its wind vs tide I will make a move...

Anything under .5mph or over 2.5mph and I will also move to a different location.

There are days on these big moon tides or high wind days where the only place to drift that slow is at anchor or tied up to the dock
Its crazy JB. I was in one of the channels right out front of SH and was at 4-6mph. Moved further into channel close to shore and drift dropped to 2mph same depth of water... I was like WTH... but once i moved into bay found a nice steady 1-1.5 and did a couple drifts. Moved to another spot and boom zero drift. Live and learn!
Old 07-25-2017, 08:19 PM
SS/Veteran

Got out today to my honey hole, three quick short fluke before a very large jellyfish wrapped around my legs was able to put the fire out with a golden shower, it really works picked up three more shorts on the beach. Back to the waders I don't care how hot it is.