Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 08-03-2017, 07:19 PM

Default Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Nice catch!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:16 AM
Senior Member Team SS

Nice pics JB

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 08-04-2017, 01:01 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin420 View Post
Nice job Bill and Bay!! Since the salt has been slow and I have limited time I've been fishing more fresh water..hit a honey hole up by my job and have getting some nice LMB on shallow cranks and top water..had 2 or 3 in the 3-4lb range and a lot in the 2lb range...also tried lake MoCo smaller bass and yellow perch and a bunch of what I think are white perch? Not really sure....at least it's a bend in the rod...ill try salt next week and prob some crabbing
nice catch, blaze!

I was out with the fly rod with no luck but sunnies, but watched a nice 5 lb-er swipe a juvi sunny from the bank slope and am planning to go back with better ammo
Old 08-04-2017, 01:14 PM

My boat buddy and I went out from Brielle for a little while yesterday and did OK. He brought home an nice 22" flat one and we had modest action bouncing bait on the bottom until the wind picked up too much and it was time to head in.

I need to learn more about this "porgie" creature, which I think is the same as "scup" in New England talk.

That sun is tough! It's even worse for me while I'm taking antibiotics for Lyme disease. I was covered up head to foot and still came home with the backs of my hands crisped right around the SPF 50. I guess the rinsing of bait and fish juice took all the protection off early in the game. I hate the idea of gloves, but might have to resort to them next trip...
Old 08-04-2017, 01:42 PM

Not that I've been out much but I have the wear the long sleeve UV tech shirts, sun gloves and a neck buff with a wide brim hat.

THEN use sunscreen on anything exposed like ears, nose
Old 08-04-2017, 03:14 PM
Senior Fellow

I wear sungloves; kind called "fingerless" because the fingers end at the last knuckle; great sun protection plus they are great for handling fish and keeping slime off your hands; I now wear them year round
Old 08-04-2017, 03:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Gentleman I spend a lot of time fishing / over 100 days a year . A routine visit to the dermatologist for a complete body scan is very reassuring of growth . If your insurance of a co-pay is worth the trip.
I like the stick block 50 for face , nose ,ears & 30 for the rest of open areas . We have to cover the best we can @our age . Long sleeve , brim hats , gloves are necessary
Old 08-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Senior Fellow

Hook you are on the money; Derm for the full scan every year; cover up on every trip and wear sunblock, hat, gloves; remember, ears, hands and back of neck get a lot of sun and are often overlooked
Old 08-04-2017, 05:04 PM

X3 for me, but the real damage was done many years ago when we all were working on our tans.

Already had my face frozen several places by the derm dr. And a chunk taken out of the back...ouch.

Was out fishing all bundled up earlier this year and the young guys ignored my warning to cover up ( and lather up with sunscreen) and they got lobstahed by the sun.

They'll pay the price in 20 years!
Old 08-04-2017, 05:15 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
My boat buddy and I went out from Brielle for a little while yesterday and did OK. He brought home an nice 22" flat one and we had modest action bouncing bait on the bottom until the wind picked up too much and it was time to head in.

I need to learn more about this "porgie" creature, which I think is the same as "scup" in New England talk.

That sun is tough! It's even worse for me while I'm taking antibiotics for Lyme disease. I was covered up head to foot and still came home with the backs of my hands crisped right around the SPF 50. I guess the rinsing of bait and fish juice took all the protection off early in the game. I hate the idea of gloves, but might have to resort to them next trip...
My son is going threw the same treatment, and he is a charter boat Capt. On the water a lot, he has to cover up.Mask,hat,gloves, sunglasses,
Old 08-04-2017, 07:20 PM

Exclamation Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

More about the sun:
Fortunately for me my daughter 'bugged' me enough about 15 years ago to get something checked out by a dermatologist. Turned out it was a malignant melanoma. Had it taken care of and it was early enough that 15 years later I am still here to pass out some advice.

I am of Celtic origins so I am predisposed to skin cancer. I now use 30 to 50 sun screen, wear a Tilley hat and sun gloves from Australia. Shirts are long sleeve 50 UVF rated and I use a sun mask or whatever they are called around my neck which can cover 100% of what is exposed.

As a side note my dermatologist ( Emmanuel Kuflik, M.D.) is also a Vietnam vet and I said "do you think I can qualify for some VA compensation for this?". He laughed and said you got this from a "baking" you got when you were a kid.

Hey at least I am still here. Please don't let your kids or your grandkids out without sunscreen. It does work!
Old 08-04-2017, 09:34 PM

Moco 4P-6P Out front last two hours of incoming with a 20 mph south wind and rough surf with tan colored water. Strong south to north current. I used casting gear and the high low rig needing 1 3/4 ounces to maintain bottom contact. No fish caught or bait observed. Water was very warm.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:37 AM

Thumbs up Re: July & August Fishing Reports 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin420 View Post
Nice job Bill and Bay!! Since the salt has been slow and I have limited time I've been fishing more fresh water..hit a honey hole up by my job and have getting some nice LMB on shallow cranks and top water..had 2 or 3 in the 3-4lb range and a lot in the 2lb range...also tried lake MoCo smaller bass and yellow perch and a bunch of what I think are white perch? Not really sure....at least it's a bend in the rod...ill try salt next week and prob some crabbing
Nice blaze. Are those catches coming on casts in random open water or you throwing around structure and pads?
Old 08-05-2017, 06:25 PM
SS/Veteran

I took my new salmon casting rod for a spin today, picked up six short fluke and this lost soul, all on gulp squido.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2017, 06:28 PM
SS/Veteran

This guy was waiting for a meal, I told him to catch his own.
Attached Images