Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 12-03-2017, 09:40 PM

Default Re: November & December Fishing Reports 2017

Hit the sandy hook area 2-4:30. Lots of herring right in the wash. Caught a few rats and a few of the herring on teaser...disappointing to see that much bait with not much on them. Looking like one of those years when the big boys don't make it in close. I don't seee it as a problem with the health of the fishery. My buddy runs a charter out of rariitan and says this is best season he's had in 15 years. The head boats seem to be reporting the same. Some years they just stay off the beaches for whatever reason.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffersonjets View Post
Hit the sandy hook area 2-4:30. Lots of herring right in the wash. Caught a few rats and a few of the herring on teaser...disappointing to see that much bait with not much on them. Looking like one of those years when the big boys don't make it in close. I don't seee it as a problem with the health of the fishery. My buddy runs a charter out of rariitan and says this is best season he's had in 15 years. The head boats seem to be reporting the same. Some years they just stay off the beaches for whatever reason.
Maybe lack of structure do to the beach replenishment?
Old 12-04-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassTracker View Post
Maybe lack of structure do to the beach replenishment?
I honestly think it might just be the abundance of bait offshore, theres no reason for them to come in close if all the bunker are in 50 feet of water
Old 12-04-2017, 11:10 AM

Went to western LIS with another fellow kayaker from 7am to 2pm on Sunday...calm overcast day ( thus no photo of the sunrise)...it was kind of unpleasantly chilly...did not expect a lot of action but I was wrong...the short bass started biting right away as we exit the harbor...they where even breaking the surface..caught 6-7 shorts...kept trolling the heavy bucktail with plastic shad thru deep water (30-40ft) and was awarded with nice 28.5" bass...then went for tog and even as the action was sporadic I caught 2 keepers ( 16.6" and 19.5") with bunch of shorts during incoming tide...I guess I will have to go again until I get skunked...when cleaned the bass found 2 large mantis crabs in its stomach...
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2017, 04:12 PM

Mantis crabs....very cool! You don't see them every day. I can't tell how big they are, but they look like they might be tasty.
I am starting to imagine myself fishing in a kayak....and it's smelling expensive.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:28 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Mantis shrimp can cut through glass and slice a finger, yet stripers can eat them!
Old 12-04-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
Mantis crabs....very cool! You don't see them every day. I can't tell how big they are, but they look like they might be tasty.
I am starting to imagine myself fishing in a kayak....and it's smelling expensive.
The boat is the cheap part...if you have the storage and you know how you will transport it...you can get a pre owned for decent price...dry suit, cart, fish finder, batteries, anchor, dry bags, upgrades, rod holders, stringer, tackle storage, paddle ,life jacket, radio, new conventional rod and reel combo...that's what does it get a dry suit if you get a kayak, it will help prevent death in cold water conditions...no one is good enough to never fall in...for between 4-5k you can be fully setup...i mean fully setup...sounds like a small fortune but it is still cheaper and less maintenance than even a small sea worthy boat...no gas...and your access is only limited to where you have beach access....you can creep around on even the shallowest flats...if I had money to spend I would have a motored boat no doubt but for now the beach and kayak do just fine...the other piece of advice...if you plan to fish tidal waters get a foot powered...i would have saved myself a lot of miserable trips if my first kayak was foot pedal while I watched my buds hook 40lbers and I struggled to paddle against strong current...if you don't get one for Christmas that's what credit cards are for
Old 12-04-2017, 10:01 PM

Never saw or heard of mantis shrimp before. Did a quick Wikipedia search. YIKES !!!
These things are crustaceans from hell. You are correct about their ability to break or cut glass. They kill their prey by slashing, thumping or impaling. They move their claws so fast it creates a cavitation bubble which stuns or kills. Also can accelerate from 0-50 mph in a blink. I'm not making this stuff up ! Has all the makings of a "B" sci-fi movie.
Mutant Mantis Shrimp from Manasquan.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:22 PM

Shorts galore on the mag darter this afternoon.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:29 AM

Hey Huck, were you fishing north, middle or south Jersey?
Old 12-05-2017, 08:47 AM

Out last night. Landed 7 Rats between 9"-18". Friend Caught 3 more. Missed just as many. All on magdarter.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
Hey Huck, were you fishing north, middle or south Jersey?
Ocean County
Old 12-05-2017, 11:57 AM

Thanks Huck!
I'm thinking of catching the lowering and early rising tides on Thursday PM. Weather is looking cool, but with a quite fishable west wind. The season is still alive and, who knows, I might even see some nice fish?
Old 12-05-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk 99 View Post
Never saw or heard of mantis shrimp before. Did a quick Wikipedia search. YIKES !!!
These things are crustaceans from hell. You are correct about their ability to break or cut glass. They kill their prey by slashing, thumping or impaling. They move their claws so fast it creates a cavitation bubble which stuns or kills. Also can accelerate from 0-50 mph in a blink. I'm not making this stuff up ! Has all the makings of a "B" sci-fi movie.
Mutant Mantis Shrimp from Manasquan.
Gulp makes mantis shrimp...i get fluke on those
Old 12-05-2017, 07:48 PM

What size mag darters are you guys using