Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Cape Cod Canal beaches

I just googled the canal and find some very good beaches that border the north end of the canal on both sides. I was wondering just how productive they are and whats their accessibilty by truck. Plus are there any town restrictions on access.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Cape Cod Canal beaches

I don't really know but Scusset Beach, which is fished regularly, you have to park in the lot at the east end of the canal. Other than Sandy Neck, I think for driving taht is it. I yield to the protocols.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:40 AM
SS/Veteran

My thoughts on Scusset is, why fish there when 100 feet away you have the Canal?

That being said, Scusset is the only place where I have seen bass rooting in the sand for sand eels, with their tails sticking out of the water as Frank describes in his books.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:12 PM

I have seen bass corral bait up against the jetti at scusset at high tide. This is probably the best time of year to fish scusset, as it is the last beach the fish will see before heading into the canal and south for the winter. I have never seen any fish taken from the beach on the other side, sandwich beach I think.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:24 AM

I kind of agree, with the Canal right there, the beach is a bit of a longer shot. Besides, when you go to the east end, you drive right past the Scusset lot and only rarely is there a vehicle there. Still, I always feel guilty for not stopping at Scusset.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:22 PM

Most of the bass that travel through the Canal in the spring do not go back through the Canal in the fall. They summer in Cape Cod Bay and along the Outer Cape. In the fall most of the Cape Cod Bay population moves around the tip of the Cape and southward along the back beaches of the Cape.

Prior to the 1914 opening of the Canal, the large northeast migration hit a dead end in Buzzards Bay and spent summers around the Elizabeth Islands and the Vineyard, with a few wandering as far east as Monomoy and Chatham. Separate, smaller schools traveling more to the south'ard have always hit Nantucket and the Outer Cape. With the opening of the Canal, the migration that formerly stopped there now continued on through the Canal into Cape Cod Bay and beyond. The once great Elizabeth Islands fishery declined and huge schools of bass took up summer residence in Cape Cod Bay and the Outer Cape beaches.

I have repeatedly witnessed migrating fall bass show in the northern reaches of the Bay, both in the now historic weirs and the inner beaches of Truro, followed a day or two later by an appearance at the northernmost beaches of Provincetown, and within days continue around to the outer beaches of the Cape on their way south to Nauset, Monomoy and beyond.

CL
Old 10-10-2007, 10:26 AM
SS/Veteran

Scusset Beach is pretty shallow. I was trying to use a needlefish there and couldn't let it sink much or it'd hit bottom. Maybe it was at low tide.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 AM

I don't know how you would really know, CL. Sure, you may have witnessed movements that indicated that migrants went around the Cape, but that does not speak for all of them. I have always said that they do both. Reason why is that I have seen them come down the beach on the outside and seen them go through the Canal. For many years we blitzed them in the Canal the last week in October. Of course that too does not necessarilly mean they went through the canal; they could have turned around and did it your way.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:33 AM
SS/Veteran

Every time you think you got them figured out you find out your wrong. The older I get the less I know. You just got to hone your skills.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I don't know how you would really know, CL. Sure, you may have witnessed movements that indicated that migrants went around the Cape, but that does not speak for all of them. I have always said that they do both. Reason why is that I have seen them come down the beach on the outside and seen them go through the Canal. For many years we blitzed them in the Canal the last week in October. Of course that too does not necessarilly mean they went through the canal; they could have turned around and did it your way.
Didn't say "all", said "most".....I have learned enough to know that we don't say all, always, never, etc.

Cl
Old 10-11-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB31 View Post
Every time you think you got them figured out you find out your wrong. The older I get the less I know. You just got to hone your skills.
Don't sweat it Al, that's a common problem with folks our age.

CL
Old 10-12-2007, 08:57 AM

I'm always saying that it is a good thing we learned a lot while we were young as it is a perfect solution for ageing. (At least I think that is what I am always saying.)
Old 10-12-2007, 12:33 PM

Earlier in this thread, Frank mentioned Sandy Neck, which is in Cape Cod Bay not far from the east end of the Canal. I don't know about the buggy access these days, but I recall that years ago Pergo Felice liked it in the late fall, and did quite well there.

CL
Old 10-13-2007, 08:30 AM

I knew all the Felices as they lived across the street from my aunt's house where I was visiting a lot. No rocket scientists, no huge background or greatly successful in real life. But could those Portigys fish! Even Al would have to take his hat off to those guys -- Pergo, Eddy, the one on Jamestown. You see that a lot in fishermen: barely toilet trained, but striped bass tremble when their waders grind the beach sands.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:32 PM
SS/Veteran

The Felices bros. were always held in high esteem by me and the rest of the NY guys. I always looked at the R.I. fisherman as the best on the coast..

Now to get back to my question are the any good surf spots on the southern end of the canal. It looks kind of residential on google.