Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 02-05-2019, 12:06 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Thumbs up Re: Party boat togging

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottog View Post
Not on the boat yet. Jason may be able to handle the whole day this year for fluke so hopefully we'll get out this Summer. Logan is only 2 and a wild child so he has a long time to go yet. Heck I only made it out a few times myself this past season for tog. Got blown out a few times and was sick for another trip I had to bail on. Did catch some fish, even a double digit though. Hopefully Good Friday trip starts 2019 off right for me

Old 02-06-2019, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Party boat togging

I got out with my buddy yesterday on the Ocean Explorer for a beautiful day's fishing. The boat ran just about at capacity, but everybody was on good behavior. The results were modest for most of us, but I'd have won the pool if there'd been one for Conger Eels. I caught one on my first drop!. A couple spectacular fish were boated, and a guy just up the rail from me won the pool with a fish just under 15 lbs.

The boat ran to the Belmar Reef, I think someone said, about 16 or 20 miles out. The depths were all over 100', with the last drop at 122'. There wasn't much wind at all and the ocean was moving in long period oily swells for most of the day. I had a great time, but could clearly see that there were guys out there who knew their stuff with specialized rigging and tackle (like the guy who landed that beauty!)
Several guys had brought jigging sized outfits, but no one used them at those depths and with the currents we had running.
Thanks for all your helpful advice. I'll try this again next fall when they're not running out quite so far and deep, and the weather's not likely to be so challenging.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:24 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Thanks for the report Joe! I'd never considered it, but maybe an early season trip is in order this year? Down here, if the weather holds we definitely will try in April... it's always marginal where we fish early in the season, but...
Old 02-06-2019, 11:44 AM

Not many fish being caught, but those that were caught tended to be BIG!
Old 02-06-2019, 12:24 PM

...Sunday looks very fishable with 1 ft. seas and winds well under 10 knots. Coolish, though, with a high of 37F. You'd probably have lots of elbow room at the rail.