Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 03-18-2019, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Fishing Reports Winter 2019

Very cool! Thanks!
It looks like something I can cobble together and aggravate a fish.
I have a tackle shop a few miles down the road that keep several racks of fly tying materials. I will pay them a visit.
Meanwhile, I have just about decided to rehab the rod myself. I have a Mudhole catalog and have had modest success in producing decent looking wraps on a boat rod. How robust do I need to go with the guides. I think this 9w needs something stronger than those snakey little wire things. Will a single foot guide do?
This project is coming at a terrible time: work is ramping up, shad and striper are about to make serious appearances and I need to get my running legs back into shape. We will see. Maybe I'll catch a fish on it this fall.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:06 PM

First guide would be best a double footed guide then single foot or snake. Mudhole sells fly rod guides in a set for a 9foot rod.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
Very cool! Thanks!
It looks like something I can cobble together and aggravate a fish.
I have a tackle shop a few miles down the road that keep several racks of fly tying materials. I will pay them a visit.
Meanwhile, I have just about decided to rehab the rod myself. I have a Mudhole catalog and have had modest success in producing decent looking wraps on a boat rod. How robust do I need to go with the guides. I think this 9w needs something stronger than those snakey little wire things. Will a single foot guide do?
This project is coming at a terrible time: work is ramping up, shad and striper are about to make serious appearances and I need to get my running legs back into shape. We will see. Maybe I'll catch a fish on it this fall.
The first pic is a st Croix 9 ft 8wt two pieces Rio Santos. the second is a Hardy 9 ft 9 wt 4 pieces. Two different guides.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2019, 07:22 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Nice pics on the flies YD! And indeed the clouser works everywhere for almost everything that swims.

I've never worried about my guides, though honestly can't recall inspecting them on my fly rods either

Unless you're after tuna, shark or giant tarpon you won't have a problem.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:05 AM

I just blew all my cash back credit on Amazon buying Gamakatsu hooks and UV epoxy.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 AM

...and thank you all for the good advice. I'm a babe in these woods.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:42 PM

Bob Popovics helped me pick up the materials for his three feather sand crab pattern, at the FF show a month ago. I've been busy tieing and experimenting with them.
There is a certain period of time in the summer when the swim bait seems to disappear, while I watch in desperation stripers and fluke in the trough gobbling up sand crabs and ignoring everything I throw at them. There will be a new sheriff in trough this year!
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2019, 07:00 AM

very cool. There's another simple pattern that Al Q from the west uses in pursuit of Corbina (pursuit of which, some summer in SoCal, is a bucket list item for me) has come up with:
https://alquattrocchi.wordpress.com/...ley-sand-crab/

Bob P is great, one of the most personable "personalities" I (and I'm sure countless others) have run across.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:37 AM
Senior Fellow

more bass today;first cast; landed 4 lost one; all on poppers; went to my frog spot; lots of cover; 3 straight days a 4 1/2 ft gator been there; throw rocks at him and he gives me a dirty look and leaves; today he came back in about 5 min; my skills as a catcher and shortstop came in handy; plunked one right next to his head and he left for good; local guy carries a pellet gun; shoots an environmentally safe pellet that will make them leave; legal; maybe what I need; Florida bass fishing...bass, gators and snakes
Old 03-20-2019, 11:41 AM

Cool...nice when there are predators to give you a run for your money when fishing

Only thing similarly encountered is a sunny pond on a friends farm that had "trained" snapping turtles. They tried, and often succeeded, to grab your fish before you could get them in. Big nasty buggahs, too.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
more bass today;first cast; landed 4 lost one; all on poppers; went to my frog spot; lots of cover; 3 straight days a 4 1/2 ft gator been there; throw rocks at him and he gives me a dirty look and leaves; today he came back in about 5 min; my skills as a catcher and shortstop came in handy; plunked one right next to his head and he left for good; local guy carries a pellet gun; shoots an environmentally safe pellet that will make them leave; legal; maybe what I need; Florida bass fishing...bass, gators and snakes

Some of those predators that you scare away might just be going to get their mamas. Be careful!

I've also heard stories about how the Boa's and Anacondas have about eradicated everything on 4 legs that used to inhabit the state. When they get hungry they'll give you a hard look, and your little dog, too!
Old 03-21-2019, 09:47 PM
Senior Fellow

The real problem with snakes is in the Everglades where the population of small mammals is being threatened by big snakes. Got another response to the pellet gun idea and guy said no way. You will make them angry and aggressive. Most people say they really leave you alone. It is true that if you see little ones leave the area. Females are very protective. When back in surf in NJ the biggest issue is seagulls diving on your popper
Old 03-23-2019, 06:47 AM

I prefer my Smith & Wesson 40 caliber, myself.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:48 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassTracker View Post
I prefer my Smith & Wesson 40 caliber, myself.
For gators or seagulls....or both
Old 03-23-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
For gators or seagulls....or both
Plovers