Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 03-12-2019, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Fishing Reports Winter 2019

Love those popper hits! Good for you, Bill!
Old 03-12-2019, 02:13 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Thumbs up Re: Fishing Reports Winter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
No need for live bait, I have bloodworm and sand worm teasers for my casting egg.

beautiful bay!
Old 03-12-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
out for bass at first light; lots of hits on a popper; landed 5, 3 in the 2-2 1/2lb range and two small ones; one big hit took me in the weeds and tangled; did the old tog in the rocks move and opened bail and slack line; 2 min and he swam free and I got him in; a 30in Gar...on a popper

outstanding... love the 'tog in the rocks' move
Old 03-12-2019, 04:40 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
(and I still wonder whether the one reported in Absecon Bay's shop might have been a "nuclear" fish to win the first fish prize, even though the gent said it was caught up the Mullica... just saying given the lack of *any* keeper reports subsequent to that one. But I'm a curmudgeon after all....)
Pretty certain it truly was a Mullica fish Rob. Been to the creek, no one around, water running cold. And no fish.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:44 PM

Thumbs up Re: Fishing Reports Winter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLBI View Post
Pretty certain it truly was a Mullica fish Rob. Been to the creek, no one around, water running cold. And no fish.

well, that's good to hear...

btw, both Onestop B&T and Dave's (Absecon Bay Sport Shop) shop have CPR type contests running to help save some fish... rules are on their FB pages.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:19 PM

The past two days there has not been a cloud in the sky and the sun has been very bright keeping the fish down and low. Only managed a few little large mouth bass yesterday and one today.
The tilapia Mayan cichlids and peacocks are circling the shoreline but are extremely skittish and very hard to catch. I think they are in the spawning phase as they are not even chasing lures
I just lost my most productive Florida producing lure which has done me quite well the entire week and I'm sitting on a bench about to shed a tear.
making a trip tomorrow to the east coast and will try my luck at some peacock bass on that side.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:07 AM

On your way over to the east coast can't you hit a shop for a new favorite lure?

Enjoy, sounds like a good problem to have .... Being down there and having to fish, I mean.

Hope you run into peacocks somewhere...
Old 03-13-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
On your way over to the east coast can't you hit a shop for a new favorite lure..
That is the plan......
Old 03-13-2019, 12:01 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Dave View Post
That is the plan......

Got 5 today at Stickmarsh; all on poppers; lost a nice one on a Hula popper; an old standard from my youth on Deal lake; bite has been consistent at first light; wind picks up and it stops;
Old 03-14-2019, 02:36 PM

So the East Coast was more or less a peacock bass bust for me. with a late start leaving , do to children and limited time to fish, as we primarily went there to visit family, I only had about an hour at a local canal
I did manage to land some larger size largemouth bass then I have found on the West Coast put the peas were not into lures yesterday. there were two local kids fishing live bait and we're doing well on peas and largemouth bass. In speaking to them , they net their own bait in the canals and live line them for the peas.
They did offer me some to try but I wanted to try my luck on the lures.
One thing I will say, west coast floridians are super nice, the east coast, not so much. It reminded me of a clean New York. On the west coast a blinker will get cars to stop and wave you in, on the east a blinker just gets you cut off.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Dave View Post
So the East Coast was more or less a peacock bass bust for me. with a late start leaving , do to children and limited time to fish, as we primarily went there to visit family, I only had about an hour at a local canal
I did manage to land some larger size largemouth bass then I have found on the West Coast put the peas were not into lures yesterday. there were two local kids fishing live bait and we're doing well on peas and largemouth bass. In speaking to them , they net their own bait in the canals and live line them for the peas.
They did offer me some to try but I wanted to try my luck on the lures.
One thing I will say, west coast floridians are super nice, the east coast, not so much. It reminded me of a clean New York. On the west coast a blinker will get cars to stop and wave you in, on the east a blinker just gets you cut off.

on the east, it *is* a clean New York...most of the population is from the greater NYC area
Old 03-14-2019, 08:46 PM

Was walking my dog around my local lake last week and saw a guy fishing meal worms. Asked him wher he got them this time of year and he said Petco and Petsmart always have worms. Never would have thought to look there. Picked up some night crawlers and been using then with pretty good success. 4 perch and two largemouth at Lake Como tonight one of the bass had some size to it had to increase the drag on my 1000 reel. For someone who for years was strictly a lure fisherman I’ve been using a lot of bait for both fresh and salt the past two years and I gotta say I’m loving it. I’ll admit I used to turn my nose up at the thought of using bait I guess I was just young and stupid but it puts fish in the net.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:43 PM

Flies can be effective, or more, as bait ... at times.

Lures can be more effective than flies... at times.

Then I've found there are times when bait rules. End of Story. If you want to catch during those times, bait will just flat out work.
That's the fun of it.

A local pond is one place I have NOT figured out a fly pattern that will really pull out the big ones. Perhaps because I'm not throwing 5" sunny patterns, but still.

That said, good bass anglers have enough lures or "baits" in their bag of tricks that they can pull out hawgs using techniques that make your jaw drop if you don't know them, or don't have the right arsenal. It makes a difference. I've fished a seemingly barren deadfall and been outfished by a much more experienced angler.

Last edited by RobS : 03-15-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:07 PM

I got a couple hours throwing plugs and bucktails in Toms River this morning. The guys on either side of me landed fish, sub-schoolies, but I went home with a real skunk, my first of the year. I was told that the mornings have been a bit on the slow side but afternoons have been rocking, with catches of 20 to 30 schoolies not uncommon. Mambo minnows and such produced while I was watching, but I was told that nearly any lure of the right profile worked not too fast would do it in the PM.
Cheers all! It has well and truly begun!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:29 PM

Good effort Joe. Spring fish can be finikey or down right ritchous hitting anything.

Today we had overcast skies and no wind at all. Caught a bunch of largie bass, dropped a ton on the ol jump and spit the hook, two nice peacocks, and another unknown cichlid. Had fish both am and pm all on a gill reaper red cichlid lure.
I'm quite impressed with these lures as the fish love em. Hand painted with a nice epoxy job and with quality hardware.
He is a former Rhode Island resident and has a nice striped bass line of lures as well. I will definatley be ordering from him again!

Check his stuff out https://www.gillreaperlures.com