Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 03-24-2019, 06:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
A question for fly fishing readers: I'm afraid I'm going to get all wrapped up in this pursuit.
What kind of line is reasonable for me to start out learning with? Weight forward, but floating or intermediate? I have been told that floating might be easier, and I can see myself hanging around the bay or beach and not trying too much in deeper water.
What's the difference between lines that have the same general specs and those that cost 200 or 300% more?
Tying Clousers is very rewarding. My first one is drying and not terribly ugly. Maybe I can learn to post pics, too.
Not talking beach / shore line fishing . When starting out read Ed Mitchell " Fly Rodding Estuaries " can buy one used for - $10.00 because water is easy , you can hide out of the wind with correct choices . 8w is the norm , Intermediate line w/ a weighted fly . You will need a stripping basket for line management . I have no problem with floating line & i use it alot if you want to get down fast just add a sinking tip easy .

if there is anything about fly fishing saltwater is to learn to cast into the wind = because its always there .
Old 03-24-2019, 06:37 PM

Moco Outfront: There was west wind with the tide dropping and an ankle high swell. Water is cleaning up out front. I was on the fly and had two foot visibility. Beautiful day, but no bait or games fish observed. A pair of oyster catchers made me aware of their arrival.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:54 PM

Thanks YD!
Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 PM

A friend picked up a few shorts today at the tide change drowning sand worms near the Keansburg pier
Old 03-25-2019, 07:37 PM

I got lucky today on my first trip out. RB halfway through the outgoing. One nice fish at 38" (where did he come from?) plus one short. Small white/red swimmer. it's on!
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2019, 08:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstard View Post
I got lucky today on my first trip out. RB halfway through the outgoing. One nice fish at 38" (where did he come from?) plus one short. Small white/red swimmer. it's on!
Bill were u fishing by this guy
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2019, 08:48 PM
SS/Veteran

Nice fish buddy!!!
Old 03-25-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstard View Post
Nice Fish and way to get it going Bill!
Old 03-25-2019, 10:25 PM

Ho, ho, ho
Old 03-26-2019, 08:15 AM
SS/Veteran

Bill, do we need to have the talk about where fish come from?

Nice fish!
Old 03-26-2019, 08:48 AM

I have been fly fishing for 30 years or more and agree with Rob about buying a good line that is reasonably priced. If you take care of it, it will last for years, so a few bucks more for a brand name is not to bad for your wallet. I have fished with some of the premium lines and have been disappointed.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:13 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassTracker View Post
I have been fly fishing for 30 years or more and agree with Rob about buying a good line that is reasonably priced. If you take care of it, it will last for years, so a few bucks more for a brand name is not to bad for your wallet. I have fished with some of the premium lines and have been disappointed.
So I've been "tryin" fly fishing the past couple seasons, have caught a few but dont use it as much as I would like..Best reasonably priced intermediate line? Have floating now and its ok..But want an intermediate and dont wanna spend alot on it..2 kids and all that so my fishing budget has become VERY TIGHT lol!
Old 03-26-2019, 11:29 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Blaze,

Either keep using what you have, or you can look at Sci Angler or Cortland lines, which seem to be mid-priced.

I like Rio better but those lines seem to be priced in the $90+ range, with Cortland and Sci Angler in the $50+/- range.

Just stay away from those sub $30 cheapies that I see around the 'net. Although if you buy a $8.99 fly line, you may just view it as a throwaway experiment LOL...

Fact is that shopping for a new fly line is a royal pain nowadays as companies seem bent on choosing the old GM method of marketing by creating multiple 'different' fly lines for different situations, where it may not matter practically.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:56 PM

Rob, you mean I don't need to worry too much about tropical versus bonefish versus grayling, versus godknowswhatelse?
I watched some videos on SKAGIT casting which looks elegantly simple,but what do I know?
Old 03-26-2019, 02:02 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

the tropical lines may not be a good fit here (due to stiffness when cold) and the "normal" striper lines *may* not be good down in the tropics over the long haul IF fishing from a boat, for example, as I hear some of them get a "stickiness" when exposed to all day sun... but for us "regular" folks, no, it don't matter

SKAGIT or two-handed casting is another technique that is sworn to be a great method for those who learn it. Get a switch or two handed rod, and an appropriate line, and I'm told that "over 100 ft" casts are the norm. Not that I know from experience.