Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Senior Fellow

Default Re: Fishing Reports Spring 2019

they were picky this morning; lots of taps and bumps and several dropped fish; 2 med sized blues and a shad for me, all on the teaser
Old 05-16-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
they were picky this morning; lots of taps and bumps and several dropped fish; 2 med sized blues and a shad for me, all on the teaser

Bill,
Do you find yourself bitten off when the blues are present in good numbers and you have a teaser in play?
I've had problems with them biting me off at my TA clip if it's shiny.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:52 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
Bill,
Do you find yourself bitten off when the blues are present in good numbers and you have a teaser in pl
I've had problems with them biting me off at my TA clip if it's shiny.
and

it's happened a few times to mebut not that often; if there are bigger blues in numbers, like 6-8lb plus and the bite is steady I will remove the teaser; now it's a mix of bass and blues and a good % of the bass are on the teaser; it's a call made on the spot based on the bite; if blues are present what I always do is throw a single hook metal or an old plug with trebles switched to singles; no desire to remove trebles from a big blue
Old 05-16-2019, 06:44 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
and

it's happened a few times to mebut not that often; if there are bigger blues in numbers, like 6-8lb plus and the bite is steady I will remove the teaser; now it's a mix of bass and blues and a good % of the bass are on the teaser; it's a call made on the spot based on the bite; if blues are present what I always do is throw a single hook metal or an old plug with trebles switched to singles; no desire to remove trebles from a big blue
Trebles will only get you in trouble, two trips to the ER, 500$ bill not good
Old 05-16-2019, 09:15 PM

nomoco wading saw fish from 630-8pm but wanted non of what I had, did get 1 16inch fluke on teaser, saw one 24 inch blue landed on bait
Old 05-17-2019, 07:04 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Was down at Corsen's inlet on the fly yesterday afternoon... could only stay until 7:30 ish, bite never really materialized. I had one big blue on but got bit off, and a few other bumps (guys were catching 15"-ish stripers, some small blues and a couple of small fluke thrown in).

It was one of those "nice to be out" trips, but not much action. Still, in truth, was great to be out for a few hours on the fly rod. My visits to Corsen's always seem to be "you shoulda been here last week".

Stiff wind in your face the entire time, with some gusts, but not unfishable on the fly rod, fished until the turn of the tide to the start of outgoing. Bait anglers, and the few boats drifting through, weren't getting anything either.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:40 AM

I finished putting guides on the 9' 9 wt Lamiglas rod I found for $5 a couple months ago. The job I managed leaves a little to be desired in the "pretty" department but should serve. Now I need to get some practice out on the lawn throwing a barbless/ hookless Clouser. The old used reel I bought came loaded with a 10 wt sinking weight forward line. That should work for my first practice attempts. A stripping basket, too.
What would you suggest for a basic 1st fly line purchase?
Old 05-17-2019, 07:40 AM

Moco 4P to 8P. South wind with a thigh high swell. I was on the fly and had no luck as the tide came in. As soon as the tide began to drop, with the sun was low in the west I caught several 20 inch striped ones. They preferred the clouser with a yellow rabbit strip delivered on a full sink line.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:16 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I finished putting guides on the 9' 9 wt Lamiglas rod I found for $5 a couple months ago. The job I managed leaves a little to be desired in the "pretty" department but should serve. Now I need to get some practice out on the lawn throwing a barbless/ hookless Clouser. The old used reel I bought came loaded with a 10 wt sinking weight forward line. That should work for my first practice attempts. A stripping basket, too.
What would you suggest for a basic 1st fly line purchase?

for shore fishing, for me, would be a WF9I from any of the name manufacturers.

pretty doesn't matter as long as the guides are secure, because while you may catch 90% dinks, the ONE TIME you hook into a good fish, you don't want to lose it because a guide (or 2 or 3) popped off

as to the 10wt sink line, keep that on a spare reel or spool if you can manage, to use at the shark river or similar inlet where you want to dredge the bottom, or if there is a particularly good bite out front in a bigger surf... getting down deep can be the difference, even over distance, at times.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:03 PM

for as bad as the bass season was for me this year, 1 short, the blues are in and just had steady 2+ hours of them,32+ was the biggest I measured, finally left when I lost the lure I was willing to. If anyone in the Burg area finds a red and white top water floating by or in a bluefish, Please give it as good home
Old 05-18-2019, 07:39 AM

Moco Afternoon 4P- 8P Incoming flood tide with the new moon. West wind that switched to SW and perfect for FF. Caught 1/2 dozen micro Striped ones on a chartreuse clouser. Large school of bunker several acres wide on the move with the new moon. Small cocktail blues were in and out of the surf prior to my arrival as a FF gent from Pa reported he had many on a clouser and an intermediate line on a 9 weight.

As a note: I keep the sink line on the reel and the intermediate spool on stand by! With a the 400 grain integrated sink line and the wind at my back, I can empty the basket and into the backing. The sink line gets me into the deeper holes before the current lifts the line in the water column.

Beautiful evening but unfortunately the plovers have arrived and no killer B's observed!!
Old 05-18-2019, 07:47 AM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Trebles will only get you in trouble, two trips to the ER, 500$ bill not good
Done that. Been there.

It's not the blue you're hooked into that bites you off. Since the blue usually hits the tail the lure acts like a protective leader. It's the rest of the voracious feeders that nip your line.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:44 AM
Senior Fellow

out at 5:15 this morning; just missed a regular landing a 52in/48 lb bass on a school bus/chicken scratch Hydro Minnow; otherwise quiet; saw about 4-5 blues and I got a big shad; went to the back where I got a few nice blues 4-5 lbs in about 20 min;
Old 05-18-2019, 02:39 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
for as bad as the bass season was for me this year, 1 short, the blues are in and just had steady 2+ hours of them,32+ was the biggest I measured, finally left when I lost the lure I was willing to. If anyone in the Burg area finds a red and white top water floating by or in a bluefish, Please give it as good home
Likewise, if you find a large red/white magdarter, it?s got mojo
Old 05-19-2019, 06:47 AM
Senior Fellow

stayed out back last night; in 30 min picked up several nice blues incl a 10 lber on my fluke rod and a deadly dick; gave it all he had.....gotta love 'em