Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 07-05-2019, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Fishing Reports Summer 2019

Sounds like a perfect day Joe. That's what it's all about
Old 07-05-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
Wednesday July 3 I took a long walk with my daughter from the last parking lot out to the jetty of IBSP. We started about 5:00 PM and got back to the car around 8:30, which was nearly high tide. It was just beautiful! I had my fluking rod and another to throw skinny metal and switched back and forth as we walked. It didn't matter. There weren't any fish where we were, though I did talk to folks who caught a few snappers. Chunkers reported skate and one monster ray.
It was the holiday eve and there were a lot of folks setting up to spend the evening on the beach. Several of the people who got there earlier in the afternoon were about to be surprised by how far up the tide was going to come and I saw one bonfire get flooded.
My girl jumped in the water and swam for a bit every few hundred yards - the water was perfect for her.
Earlier in the afternoon I was out front practicing with my 9w and casting off the sand bars. I felt like I was doing it alright and that a fish might have found my Clouser interesting if any had been around. I'm not up to casting 100 feet yet, but can comfortably throw it 50', maybe, if the wind's right.
Great Job all around!!
Old 07-05-2019, 05:31 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstard View Post
Jack Crevalle

think I met his brother Fred Cravelle but not Jack
Old 07-05-2019, 11:36 PM

Moco Outfront 5p-9p. Incoming tide with a SE wind and clear water with 3 foot visibility. There was small rain fish in the wash, but not in large number. There was no action until 8p, when a school of sand eels came in with the high tide. Something was chasing the SE, but I could not hook up with the hammered spoon and teaser, so I switched to a small deadly dick with a single buck tail that matched the SE profile better. While bouncing the deadly D on the bottom, I caught four flat ones, two shorts on the chartreuse teaser and two on the DD, which were 19 and 18. The 18 is still swimming.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2019, 07:53 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I thought flounder didn't hit when it's dark
Old 07-06-2019, 11:49 AM

Yesterday I switched a scenery...went to LI Sound to try my luck there on the kayak...solo trip...water temp was cold ...around 67F to be compared to RB where it went over 81F..slow bite (maybe because of temps?)...managed 13 short fluke, one schoolie bass and 2 porgies with bunch of sea robins...overcast not too hot...anyway , it was nice to be outside
Old 07-07-2019, 07:43 AM

Moco Outrront 6p-9P Incoming tide and clear flat water. No bait observed. 8 micro fluke while using casting gear. Six on a small chartreuse teaser. two on the DD.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:31 AM

It looks like the doldrums of summer are upon us
Old 07-11-2019, 09:31 AM

Western Long Island Sound on kayak...07-10-2019 ....7.30am to 3.30pm...hot and humid with almost no breeze...fluke was active as well as porgies...still a lot short fluke ( over 30 and 3 fish over 18" but NY requires 19") .This time I got a nice 23"...porgies went up to 16.6" on jigs ...as by-catch I got a blue and 2 small bass...not a bad day
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2019, 01:35 PM

Nice!

We were out Tuesday in the back down here, and ran into a billion little sea bass, and a steady pick of shorts, from 10" to 17". I had high hook at over 10 (honestly just lost track, with all the little sea bass, fish that came unbuttoned on the way up or at the surface, those I actually boated, etc)

I had ONE good fish, definitely a keeper and perhaps a good one. My line broke because I forgot to loosen my drag after pulling it free from a previous snag (which also apparently weakened my leader at the swivel). I had the reel locked down and this fish took me. The kind of fish which first feels like a snag, then you get it off the bottom and get the head shake, then it goes back down and the rod does that nice upside down U.

Yeah that kind.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:30 PM

Rob, maybe it was just a Sea Robin?
Old 07-11-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
Rob, maybe it was just a Sea Robin?

Woulda been one heckofa Sea Robin! I keep telling myself it was a cownose ray.

Unfortunately, the truth hurts.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Woulda been one heckofa Sea Robin! I keep telling myself it was a cownose ray.

Unfortunately, the truth hurts.
Two weeks ago, I made an extra long cast, with a ten foot salmon rod and 5000 series Ambassadeur with 12 lb test, and a hi lo rig, reaching the back of an outer sand bar. I had tied a beautiful Flash Blend rain fish teaser for the hi position the night before and was confident it looked like a real rain fish. I was a few hundred yards away from a popular swimming beach in Moco. I hooked up with the mother of all flat ones, or so I thought as it shook its head and did the slow freight train run removing line from the reel. It suddenly made an abrupt left turn to run with the incoming tide toward the bathing beach. I gained a little line but it kept getting closer to the beach and my line was parallel to the shore line with 75 yards off the reel.
Ten minutes later and on its second run I made the classic mistake of trying to turn a fish as it was running and the line parted at the swivel and improved clinch knot. ( I"m going back to palomar's)

That parallel side run is classic cow nosed ray, but Ill always wonder since I didn't see it!
It wouldn't have went well any way since there would have been all sorts of panic and whistle blowing by the lifeguards if I entered the swimming area fighting the fish. Putting undue pressure on the fish was my way of opting out of being an internet sensation with all the smart phones on the beach!
Old 07-12-2019, 08:11 AM

YD, yeah, that hurts not seeing it. I've had a couple in the surf that way, and you always wonder. It may have been, maybe likely, a ray, but my brother in laws best flounder, 9 lber, ran just like you described after the head shake, so the big ones can really take you. Once your line is parallel to the shore, you are generally in trouble, unless things go perfect.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:18 AM

We are all in the " Big one that got away club"!