Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 07-29-2019, 11:34 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Fishing Reports Summer 2019

out this morning, 4 kings, no other taps... short trip and didn't try plugging or fly

beautiful out there, only some small long period swell giving some wave action once in a while (yet, the weather gals were all calling a "rip current warning" for today... can't see how, though there was a longshore northward current... not bad at all)

Last edited by RobS : 07-29-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:00 PM

I got to Sandy Hook for the whole of the flood tide from its turn to the near top of the tide yesterday. ...minus the hour I spent in my car for the thunderstorm. I started trying for fluke right in pretty much straight in front of where the trail from the parking lot spits you out and turned left (right is off limits to protect the Piping Plovers.)
Nothing great to report. I caught fish all the way around to Bug Light, but nothing near keeper size and LOTS of Sea Robbins. If I'd been looking to catch a Sea Robin feast, I'd have been delighted! I caught 10 of them to every fluke. I hooked a few cocktail blues and was glad I'd added a thin strip of fluttery pork rind to slow down their massacre of my Gulp.
The wind was interesting: it started out nice and steady from the S, was blowing from the NE after the thunderstorm, then died completely for a while before settling in to a steady W breeze. It would have been an awful night if the wind hadn't been blowing enough to keep the noseeums down toward sunset. The few minutes of slack wind were scary bad. Maybe that's why it's called Bug Light?
Old 08-01-2019, 10:31 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I got to Sandy Hook for the whole of the flood tide from its turn to the near top of the tide yesterday. ...minus the hour I spent in my car for the thunderstorm. I started trying for fluke right in pretty much straight in front of where the trail from the parking lot spits you out and turned left (right is off limits to protect the Piping Plovers.)
Nothing great to report. I caught fish all the way around to Bug Light, but nothing near keeper size and LOTS of Sea Robbins. If I'd been looking to catch a Sea Robin feast, I'd have been delighted! I caught 10 of them to every fluke. I hooked a few cocktail blues and was glad I'd added a thin strip of fluttery pork rind to slow down their massacre of my Gulp.
The wind was interesting: it started out nice and steady from the S, was blowing from the NE after the thunderstorm, then died completely for a while before settling in to a steady W breeze. It would have been an awful night if the wind hadn't been blowing enough to keep the noseeums down toward sunset. The few minutes of slack wind were scary bad. Maybe that's why it's called Bug Light?
Sorry Joe, I forgot to mention the gauntlet of noseeums and mosquitoes
Old 08-02-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Sorry Joe, I forgot to mention the gauntlet of noseeums and mosquitoes

in Brigantine, add to those, greenheads and strawberry flies (those speedster stinging black flies)
Old 08-03-2019, 07:54 AM

well, not me, and by boat, by my brother in law had 2 banner days using freshly netted mullet on fishfinder rigs at a local bridge Thu and Fri. He got more keepers than 3 of us put together all season. 10 in a row on Thursday, and Friday he got a 5lb+ (don't know if he weighed it, but I saw the pic).

killin me, but can't get out for a while

at any rate, even from the surf, when the mullet are in, the big flundies are in... though that will be a little while yet, for most folks.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:28 AM

Good news from the South is always welcome " One If by Land two if by Sea!"
Old 08-03-2019, 10:18 AM

Cool Re: Fishing Reports Summer 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddog View Post
Good news from the South is always welcome " One If by Land two if by Sea!"

a true statement, though this year, surf / inlet anglers I've seen have had almost as many keepers as the boats!

my brother in law was hitting a favorite spot for weakfish with those mullet... and was shocked to hit all the flounder stacked up. I know this time of year big ones are in with the big baits, but finding them has always been the challenge. I hit a doormat in 4 ft of water a few years back when fishing with my son, you would not have believed a fish that size was sitting there.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:05 PM
SS/Veteran

My son on a trip on the Helen H the other day, no shortage of keepers up north. They throw back 4 lbers. Keeping 7-12 lbers
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2019, 09:06 AM

Bay, yes, got consistent reports from the boats up north working deep water / structure off the beach. Down here it's been a different story.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:05 AM

Been waiting for the top water bite to materialize at my local pond Lake Topanemus since May and it hadn’t happened yet. Tried the last two nights primarily with a jitterbug and only had two blow ups but didn’t hook up either time. Brought some worms last night and got two crappies. Tried top water this morning wet wading deep in an inlet and got two blues. Best part of the morning was watching a striper blow up my red/white popper practically at my feet but again no hook up
Old 08-06-2019, 04:00 PM
SS/Veteran

Got out a few mornings in sweet-water this weekend (not NJ). Did pretty good, I guess fishin' is fishin' . 9 LM's, 6 Northern's and 2 crappie.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2019, 07:02 PM
Senior Fellow

been on the IL; crashed my big toe into the edge of a piece of slate; 8 stitches and lost toe nail; gruesome; two weeks and counting; obviously no fishing for a while; still love to read the reports; hope to be out by the end of the month
Old 08-06-2019, 09:10 PM

Bill, time for a walking stick
Old 08-06-2019, 09:57 PM
Senior Fellow

I got one; a good thing
Old 08-07-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwrubel View Post
I got one; a good thing

Bill, hope everything heals up well.

Have the young grandkids in this week and had a few days of chasing sunnies... a ton of short "minnow sized" but some nice slabs as well. As long as there's action they are happy. Might get them out on the boat but the younger guy still does not have the attention span if the action isn't constant. The older one, at 6 yo is a budding angler, a lot to learn, but has the drive to keep experimenting and sticking with it.