Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:35 PM

Default please help with gear set up

First I would like to say thank you for allowing me to join this forum, I believe I will learn a lot from all the experienced fisherman here.. Second I would like to apologize for the redundant question I am about to ask, because I am sure you see it all the time. However I need to ask it because I have been reading through for many post and I am still confused on what I need as far as gear goes.

I am planning on (for the first time) fishing the jersey surf for striped bass. I already own a 10' Tsunami airwave surf rod and would like to use soft plastic swim bait as my lure selection.

With that said I need to pair a reel with the Tsunami rod and I would also like to know if the 10' surf rod was a wise selection for using plastic swim baits?

Please if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thank You
Old 07-24-2019, 08:24 AM

Default Re: please help with gear set up

There are others on this site with far more expertise than I, but having just bought another saltwater reel I have some opinions. I bought one of the relatively new Daiwa BG reels after evaluating several alternatives. Alan Hawk's high praise for this reel helped to sway my decision. I wil not get to fish it until next month, but it feels very tight and solid. Report to follow.... after I actually use it.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:27 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

There is a rating, and not just name and length, that specifies the rod flex that will be important to determine what you plan on throwing.

For example, there is an XH version of the airwave that I see rated at 3-6oz, and I would generally consider this too heavy for plastic swim baits. However, that might be a great use for large swimming plugs and pencil poppers, which are very popular for fall Striper fishing in many places where the bunker pods come in. Also the XH would be good for surf-based "snag and drop" fishing, where you snag an adult bunker and either let it settle for "meat fishing", or more commonly you swap out your snag treble with some kind of fishfinder/live lining end rig and re-cast the live adult bunker or dead chunk into the fray, both of which require significant backbone in the rod.

for lures in general (the above exceptions noted) I like a medium rated rod in 9-11', something that can cast 3 or 4 oz comfortably and far, that means a 2-4oz type "rated" rod, but sometimes a 1-3 or 1-4oz rod might be better if I often plan on using rubber shads or light jig heads with a paddle tale or similar.

Those are my thoughts. The reel would be matched to the line size, typically 30lb braid and look at the braid's relative mono diameter, the capacity of the reel's spool to decide.

Brands? there are lots and perhaps that Daiwa is fine, I've got Penn Battle's and old Penn 704/706s and a few others... but I wouldn't buy them now unless I wanted "vintage" for a reason (which I do for a couple of vintage rods I just had redone, but again... I have the matching reels for these rods)

Welcome and post up reports in the appropriate reports thread when you get out!
Old 07-24-2019, 12:37 PM

Awesome advice. Thank you so much, you put much perspective on what I was looking for. My rod is rated medium heavy 2-4 oz.
With that said is there any plastic swimbaits that heavy? If not it sounds like I should go with a lighter rod. I really should have visited a tackle shop that specializes in this before making the purchase. Thank you again for replying to my questions.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:59 PM

plenty of plastic swim baits are in the 2oz range.

I would recommend stopping in at a good tackle shop and discussing anyway, they can help point you to a good range of tackle options with your current rod.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Swim baits I always like fishing them with a shorter lighter rod.
I use a 9' 1-3 oz rod for certain applications like the one you mention ( that's just me ) but, like Rob stated, go heavier on the swimmer.
I find for most, if not all, of my casting the 9'er ( I have a few of them ) does what I want. I was never a big fan of longer rods although I do use a 10 foot bait soaker.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Swim baits I always like fishing them with a shorter lighter rod.
I use a 9' 1-3 oz rod for certain applications like the one you mention ( that's just me ) but, like Rob stated, go heavier on the swimmer.
I find for most, if not all, of my casting the 9'er ( I have a few of them ) does what I want. I was never a big fan of longer rods although I do use a 10 foot bait soaker.

Down here in flatland, I like to go a bit longer than up "nawth"... so I now have a 12 foot 8nBait rod, along with a 10' med/light rod for tossing light plugs/shads/light baits whatever.

I also have a range of everything else... way too many rods now that I had 4 (count'em) 4 vintage rods of my father-in-laws redone, including a 9' lami fiberglass rod! 3 conventional, one spinning... one of the conventionals was used on the Ventnor pier for horsing in stripers (to keep them away from the pilings).

Have a local rod-builder who is just so good and so reasonable $-wise I couldn't help myself