Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 11-19-2015, 09:04 PM

Default Superstitions and Skunks

I've been thinking about my outing last Saturday morning. It was blowing real hard and I caught the skunk (assuming one tangled seagull doesnt count). I was the first one on the beach and i knew i was going to get hungry so I brought a snack. A banana. I know from my buddys boat that bananas are a big no no. But how about on the beach? I'm a pretty superstitious guy so I blamed the skunk on the banana, its definitely not the wind.

So are there any other fishing superstitions around to bring luck? I heard from an old timer a long time ago, that when you see butterflies on the beach, it means there's fish on that beach. That had me looking for butterflies for years.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:50 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Superstitions and Skunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecloud View Post
I've been thinking about my outing last Saturday morning. It was blowing real hard and I caught the skunk (assuming one tangled seagull doesnt count). I was the first one on the beach and i knew i was going to get hungry so I brought a snack. A banana. I know from my buddys boat that bananas are a big no no. But how about on the beach? I'm a pretty superstitious guy so I blamed the skunk on the banana, its definitely not the wind.

So are there any other fishing superstitions around to bring luck? I heard from an old timer a long time ago, that when you see butterflies on the beach, it means there's fish on that beach. That had me looking for butterflies for years.
Not really a superstition, but, when I am driving down the hook and see the kite boarders getting "air" in horseshoe cove (nor west wind) I usually catch fish in a certain spot
Old 11-20-2015, 08:51 AM

I'm 38 years old and never worn a baseball cap type hat in my life (I'll wear a wool hat in winter). About a year ago I got a free St Croix hat and decided ok I'll wear it fishing dispose feeling self-conscious wearing a cap (don't know why...) In the past year I took it fishing maybe 50% of the time. I catch fish almost every time I don't bring it and never once wearing it.

I also just started wearing sunglasses last year as well but luckily they aren't jinxed and I can't leave home without them now.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Not really a superstition, but, when I am driving down the hook and see the kite boarders getting "air" in horseshoe cove (nor west wind) I usually catch fish in a certain spot
You must have some crazy stuff in that log of yours...
Old 11-20-2015, 11:33 AM

I don't have superstitions but definitely habits that I repeat every time I go out, trying to park in the same space, the way I gear up, etc. I think it's more for my own neurotic brain than being superstitious.