Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 06-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

Default Re: New Ride (finally)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
Nice ride good luck!!!

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:26 PM

Rob did you have any of the electrical issues with your wrangler? I had to replace several minor things and one major component on mine which was a 2013. A big reason I got rid of it.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:59 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Electrical? maybe. but there are other nagging issues that have caused me to say I won't buy another jeep:

1. Radio - touch screen goes crazy once in a while. Read others have had this issue
1a. The radio presets periodically get reset
1b. if you hit the wrong combo of voice control (say, hands free calling or GPS giving voice commands) combined in some timing combination with using the radio/cd or usb input for say an ipod, the audio can "hang up" and you get no sound until the radio is reset (car restarted). I actually think this might have been fixed with a new rev of firmware since it hasn't happened in quite a while now.
2. trans - which concerns me but there is nothing I can do about it now (though I will have it checked by the dealer soon): there is a "clunk" or more like a hard "bump" when it's deciding between overdrive and 3rd sometimes around 50MPH +/-. Not always but enough times to be noticable.
3. a body issue with the tail gate damper bar.. doesn't affect anything but it shouldn't have been a problem at all for the amount of use it gets.
4. I think it's the traction control that sometimes "gets set" if I'm accelerating on a washboard type surface (series of small potholes, for example) at times. When it triggers it doesn't reset until I restart the car, and the cruise control is disabled until it is reset.

I think there are a couple of other things that I'm forgetting.

Unless something really haywire goes wrong, I'm driving this vehicle to the ground, but again, these are things that just want me to move on. That's why my wife's vehicle is now a Honda CR-V and not a jeep-anything.

That all said, I love the features of the vehicle for towing, the rack setup and how it rides on the beach. BUT I wouldn't recommend getting a jeep to anyone at this point.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:29 PM

I agree can't recommend a jeep to anyone. Seems the transmission issues that all jeep vehicles are facing are limited to the 4 cylinder but that's coming from a dealer trying to ease my worries and get me into another on. Biggest issue I had was a total meltdown of the wiring harness, luckily I was still on the pavement and five minutes from hitting the sand. Would have been an expensive tow. But seemed every time I took it in for simple maintenance I had to dump more money to fix wiring issues and more leaks than I cared to remember.

So far I'm loving the 4Runner, with this being my third Toyota I never had any problems with the other two other than routine things.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Jess to the rescue

Nice ride!
Thanks for the editing help Jess. One question,what's an Amocat?
Old 06-03-2016, 08:27 AM

What is this "traction control" you people speak of? In my old '06 Wrangler Unlimited with 155k miles, I just reach down and pull the level up into 4WD high at any speed and it goes anywhere with a manual transmission and rear lockers. I usually air down to about 22 lbs or it will spin a little in the soft spots of sand, but with the 31x10.5's that are low on tread, it really doesn't matter much. When I get new tires with more tread I will need to air down to 18 again, I suppose. I have had 5 other Jeeps, a couple of Suburbans, a Ford F150 and a Silverado, but will take my Jeep anywhere those would go and a whole lot of places I wouldn't attempt to take the big boys.

That being said, I might consolidate the fleet (Jeep and Silverado) into a Tacoma sometime...nice ride!
Old 06-03-2016, 08:33 AM

BT,

Traction control is a system on computerized drive trains that detects slip on one or more drive wheels and adjusts the power through the differential to compensate.

It works well on snow or icy hard surfaces but not on all sugar sand beaches or other soft sand off road surfaces.

My wrangler is awesome on the beach. It's not the handling or setup that makes me wary about recommending a new one, but rather the company and quality issues!
Old 06-03-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedfellas View Post
I agree can't recommend a jeep to anyone. Seems the transmission issues that all jeep vehicles are facing are limited to the 4 cylinder but that's coming from a dealer trying to ease my worries and get me into another on. Biggest issue I had was a total meltdown of the wiring harness, luckily I was still on the pavement and five minutes from hitting the sand. Would have been an expensive tow. But seemed every time I took it in for simple maintenance I had to dump more money to fix wiring issues and more leaks than I cared to remember.

So far I'm loving the 4Runner, with this being my third Toyota I never had any problems with the other two other than routine things.
I have a '13 as well, there was a recall on the harness that I had fixed and sounds like your vehicle might have been among those that prompted the recall!!!

I have a 6 and like I wrote, can only hope it's not a major issue with the trans.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:42 AM

So does that mean the dealer will refund the $800 that it cost me to get the harness fixed since it was recalled????

Doubt it...
Old 06-03-2016, 11:45 AM

the recall specifically had to do only with the power/heated mirrors, and stated shorts in that part of the harness could cause a fire. While it sounds like that particular recall may not be applicable to what you had done (I can't tell, really) I would search for a Technical Service Bulletin and/or write to Jeep corporate. I mean a '13 having a harness short out... really??!!