Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 05-02-2003, 04:18 PM

I just got the new regulations today. The Marine Fisheries Commission passes new regulations for striped bass that will be in effect May 23,2003.
Two fish per day at 28". thought you people would like to know. Jon B
Old 05-02-2003, 04:18 PM

I just got the new regulations today. The Marine Fisheries Commission passes new regulations for striped bass that will be in effect May 23,2003.
Two fish per day at 28". thought you people would like to know. Jon B
Old 05-02-2003, 05:20 PM
SS/Platinum
SS#0126

Yep, saw that elsewhere...a bit of a suprise, but not really.....thought it would go to 1 at 28 and another over 40.....

But with the regs for the rest of the coast, that's why I'm not suprised.....disappointed yes, suprised, no....but as I said, with every other state's regs, can you really blame them?

I need to read more, but there is also a big hub-bub about the new com reg's......

Technology Sets Me Free....;>)
Old 05-03-2003, 04:48 PM

A slot limit seems the way to go. How about one fish 23-26" and/or one over 40". I wish.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:00 PM

How about 1 fish,36 inches, I wish
Old 05-04-2003, 08:31 PM

It would be nice just to catch ONE 28+ let alone two
Old 05-05-2003, 12:45 AM

Went out Friday night and saw a guy with a 34" fish. he used live herring. There is talk of people keeping schoolies already. I don't understand that. some people don't care and when they get caught they act like they are the victim. Don't be afraid to call the game police. I had to last year. Trash and keeping undersize fish are what closes a fishing spot. I saw it many times before...state police and game wardens by vehicle and boat at the same time rush a location and catch the crooks. everyone else was ordered away and kept away for weeks. Jon B
Old 06-08-2003, 01:36 AM

Jeez, I have been fishing at Plum island for years now, and this is just nuts. Keeping schoolies. Gimme a break.These idiots will not only ruin it for those of us who choose to abide by the rules. They will also kill a major source of revenue for the town, via the parking lot at the beach.

Jim
Old 06-08-2003, 11:49 AM

I hear that Chawk. 36 sounds great!
Old 06-09-2003, 12:26 AM

It happens everywhere. Plum Island and Salisbury beach and along the Merrimack , South Boston at castle island pier and sugarbowl, Northend Boston charles locks,Somerville locks-Amelia earhart dam, merrimack river thru Haverhill and lawrence, the chelsea creek by the chelsea st. bridge behind the parkinglot in Chelsea, lynn marsh rd. bridge in revere, red rock in Lynn, by the white gas tank on the lynnway in Lynn, the canal on the cape etc.....get my idea? there are unfortunately more places. All you can do is have the game police number handy in your cell and call. Nobody will realize it either. Then keep on fishing and laugh when they get the
^#$%#%-*$&#@& . I'm not a game warden or anything, just a fisherman. I've asked some of these people why they take small ones and they say it isn't going to hurt anyone and the other is that everyone's doing it too. Go figure.
Jon B
Old 06-09-2003, 11:04 AM

since 70% of the fish over 28" are females, and females of a large size carry more eggs, it would make sense to have the limit be one fish at 28". Two is going to screw up the stocks, people always blame the commercial guys, we will see what happens now that the stacked up recreational fishermen are taking two females a peice. It only takes one male to fertilize a dozen females, and a dozen bull bass are not worth a cow. Small limit, one fish. Thats what makes sense. If you argued for 26", i probably wouldn't argue, if it was for one fish.

What the hell is a Pirke Jig?