Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 03-20-2007, 08:34 PM

Default martha's vineyards

Going May 20th for a week any input appreciated.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Default Re: martha's vineyards

Maybe over here in the MA forum, may help. Joe
Old 03-22-2007, 11:55 PM

Any input appreciate
Thanks
Old 03-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDOLLAR View Post
Any input appreciate
Thanks
use the ferry out of woods hole,,,,the one that leaves from new Bedford costs too much,,,i think if your taking a vehicle you have to go out of woods hole,, i might be wrong,,,,,when we went over there it was nice,,,,theres a bunch of stores, ice cream shops , places to eat.......we jumped on a tour bus and saw the east side of the island,,,,,i think one of the places to stay over there is called the WESTIN,,,,,the tour bus driver said its 300- 400 a night,,,,,i was looking in a travel brochure this summer and saw bed and breakfasts on the west side of the island,,,,,by boat the west side of the island is beautiful,,,,,theres big cliffs by gay head that i would like to check out some day.....its nice over there,,,you should like it...
Old 03-26-2007, 09:31 PM

All input helps, how about beaches to fish ,bait or no bait. Lure suggestions, rod and reel for the area.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:04 PM

Sandollar,

Kinda new to this site. I live on MV and fish often....make that a lot, both boat and shore. Your visit on the 20th of May is when things just are getting going. Late May is hit or miss for surf bass. Some years they are here thick and other years it takes till early June for it to light up. There will be bass and plenty of schoolies and bluefish around but the big ones show in the late may-early June time frame. The thing to keep in mind is we have a good run of squid that time of year. Bass will be in the harbors chasing them. (They are damn fun to catch themselves and great to eat when fresh like that...the squid that is) There are herring too but the squid is the ticket. Keep that in mind when selecting what lures to bring.

As for "spots" well if I told you the entire island is good you would not believe me but it pretty much is, so for your first trip I would suggest some of the well known "hot-spots". (You could also hire a guide to put you on them). I would visit the local shops and pick up an item or two (always a good thing to do anyway) and get the latest buzz, they will save you wasting your time and they will not steer you wrong. The 3 main shops on the island are Dicks (OB), Coops and Larry's (both in Edgartown) As for what the beach looks like...check out www.fishinglogcalendars.com It is a shameless plug (and I am sorry about that) but it will really lay out what the coastal features and terrain around the entire island looks like in great detail and get you pumped for your trip better then I can explain.

Anyway I hope you have a nice trip, BTW, we have a new ferry (The Island Home, it is much larger (and cleaner) then the old Islander...see if you can get on that boat) If you are taking your vehicle you must go thru Woods Hole. If you are just a passanger you can take high speed ferries from several places. Check out www.mvol.com for island details and links.

Oh, I don't know if you fly fish but that is also popular this time of year as well.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:50 PM

Good info ,I'm really looking forward to the trip. My cousin goes up every year for a month, this year May 19th we'll go on the 20th, we're timesharing into Harborside for a week. I would have liked to come up a week or two later but that was the only week we could get. What about equiptment I have 7' to 12' and in between, lures, metal, plastics?????
Old 03-30-2007, 09:10 AM

I would bring some lighter stuff perhaps with small rubber for schoolies but better bring something a bit heavier as well if you plan to fish the ocean and throw larger plugs. Where you are staying is an easy walk to the Wharf in Edgartown. Some evening go down with a light rod and a few squid jigs...its a hoot! (don't wear your good clothes when you do this)

An easy place to connect with smaller fish is the "Big Bridge" out of sengekontacket. Fish off the bridge, the jetty or the beach early in the morning or at night, you should have plenty of action. Also be sure and try Menemsha...esp at night. There is a herring run way up inside but the bass will be running in the channel chasing them all night. It is an good place to catch a decent fish early in the spring.

Again, hit the local shops for the latest info.