Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:32 PM

Default 'Striper Surf ' still the BEST

Every winter i re-read my broken down and beat up copy of Striper Surf, and every winter i learn something new from it. For me, this book is still the best all around book on Bass fishing. There are newer ones and glossier ones, but info wise, i'd take S.S. to a desert island. The thing that always humbles me is that while i'm reading it, i think to myself ' This guy has an online forum that he actually visits' and it's great knowing that you can ask questions and get real answers from an authority, w/o all the B.S. that goes along with most forum ' experts' Not only that, your familair with my area, R.I. , to give really good information. A Montauk billy goat, and i mean that with affection, has differant parameters to work within than R.I. For example they LOVE those yellow Darters and Needlefish, but for me, they stay at home because i can't seem to get them to work !
Anyway, not to be long winded, it's Saturday and i need to get back into the shop and off the computer, but i'm brave today and wanted to ask a couple of questions regarding S.S., and one not.......

1. Does the long tail you mention on your cast also apply to spinning gear ??? I use a 3 foot leader, should i leave even more hanging back there ?? Don't want to send my hat into the wash !!!

2. How did that Eel Skin Rebel swim ?? I make my own lures, and i use both the Atom Jr. style, and i also make a 5 inch Danny style for smaller skins, but i have a few Rebel plugs that just sit in my trunk that i was wondering if they are worth rigging..... I know another author said it wasn't that great........

3. Not book related, but do you put any faith in the ' first offering' theory ?? Some pluggers say that your first toss out there had better be good and what they are hungry for...... If you keep switching plugs it might have negative results. I think this is bollocks because i've tossed differant plugs for a while then snapped on one for a last ditch cast that seems to work for the next hour.......... Just looking for opinions.........

Man that was long winded, i could have turned a plug in this time !!

Jim
Old 01-08-2011, 04:22 PM

Default Re: 'Striper Surf ' still the BEST

While re-reading this, i notice it sounds like i was talking to Frank specifically, but i welcome everyones comments in the discussion without excluding anybody.

Sorry about that.......
Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Yes, I would use a long trail with spinning as well. However, depending upon many other conditions, it may not matter all that much. The larger the arc the weight goes through, the more force is going to be exerted.

You can put an eel skin on a Rebel but if you are going to go through the trouble there are heavier swimming plug, say like a Junior Atom or Danny, where a skin is better.

Re the first offereing, I suppose your first cast might have an edge because nothing has been proven yet. But I can't get excited about that because a first cast is just that -- an effort in virgin territory. There are more important things to think about.

Your MOntauk remark pushes a button: I have never fished there but I have fished with many who have. Montauk/New York is an extremely competative envrionment where everybod is trying to outdo the other. New York fishermen will throw a stone for the chance to hit the water further out than the guy next to him. It is some sort of competative bent that New Yorkers are bred into which we country boys have troulble relating to. Hence they like plugs that rocket out over the wave tops -- Darters and Needlefish. (I could be wrong.)

Thanks for the Striper Surf praise. I love those ....
Old 01-09-2011, 02:47 PM
SS/Veteran

Three of my favorite books on Stripers and Striper fishing are "Twenty Years on the Cape", "Striper Surf" and John Cole's "Striper and I own over 30 books on the subject.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:53 PM

I was contracted to revise Striper Surf by the publisher. They paid me an advance and then broke the contract after I revised it because of their fears of the market place -- all the book stores going out.

The revisions are small things and sales are still good inspite of people knowing all of the changes, revisions needed, after 20 years out there.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Senior Fellow

Frank,

When I read Twenty Years on the Cape I felt as though I was right there with you and your family. It is my favorite FD book but they're all great. Spending that time together with your bride and your children in the isolation of the beach was a very special thing --- whether driven by necessity or not.

Cheers,

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 01-10-2011, 06:00 PM

Frank, thank you as always for answering my questions ! I learn something new with every visit here. Your post about revising Striper Surf is kind of interesting as yes, you could revise some stuff in there, but for the most part that book is dead on.
People will read that book 40 years from now and still be learning stuff that will be current in the future. What i like about that book is it was written by a proven fisherman with entirely too much experiance, as well as the antedotes (sp) that seep in from time to time. I have a LOT of striper books and sometimes i wonder ' Could this author jump on a plane and come to R.I. and still catch fish' ?? I have no doubt Daignault could come to my home waters and fish me under the table everytime !!!

Thanks again Mr. Frank.........always a teacher....
Old 01-11-2011, 12:50 PM

I wonder how many here today know that Striper Surf first came out in hardcover. Those have to be worth money, I would think ....
Old 02-10-2014, 01:07 PM

Sales of Striper Surf are slow inspite of its popularity. I think there is a finite market for a species specific shore fishing book and any buyers all have theirs. Its up to its 12th printing. Joyce calls it my signature title. I suppose sales are down because there are now so many surf fishing books out there that buyers are unable to sort them out.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I wonder how many here today know that Striper Surf first came out in hardcover. Those have to be worth money, I would think ....
I've had a hardcover copy for years. Believe I bought it from you at one of your visits to speak to CCA in New Hampshire.
BillH
Old 02-11-2014, 07:56 PM

I have never tried fly fishing, but last year I was fishing the Potomac and there was a fly guy who waded out to a choice rock and kept landing fish after fish. I don't know if it was me, but he had a not so well hidden air of superiority.

I don't usually compete with anyone when fishing, but something made me want to outfish him. Sadly (maybe a good thing), I couldn't get as far into the channel as him due to my limited tackle (I left most of my stuff in the car to make the long walk easier) and the fact he had the only good rock. I just bristled and moved on.

Has anyone else fallen into a situation where you wanted to "compete" with someone?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:22 AM

I have gotten a lot of feedback on all the books. One of the more popular mentions is how we had survival food when staying on the beach because we hated the expense and effort needed to go off to resupply. My wife, Joyce, used to get these big cans of "Chicken-a-la-King" which was a gravy laced chicken dinner that all of us kind of dispised and would set the kids into . Readers loved that food/supply story. Another was fried sand-dab and beans, drinking Kool-Aid. The dabs had no sales value and were easy to catch.