Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 07-15-2003, 11:08 AM

Hi, my wife, son and I are going fishing in the Cape Cod area in Sept., and we're looking for the best site to catch stripers, what bait, lures etc. to use...can anyone avise? Thanks, frank
Old 07-15-2003, 11:08 AM

Hi, my wife, son and I are going fishing in the Cape Cod area in Sept., and we're looking for the best site to catch stripers, what bait, lures etc. to use...can anyone avise? Thanks, frank
Old 07-15-2003, 11:30 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

That depends on where you are staying, Cape Cod is a big area. The "Back Beaches" (ocean side) of the National Seashore is always good, from Race Point south. So is Nauset.

Will you have a 4x4? If yes, check on this web site for info on 4x4's and the tire requirements for the National Seashore.

bob.damico@stripersurf.com

Old 07-16-2003, 02:43 PM

Thanks Bob, we're going to stay were ever we will have the best shot to catch stripers. Of course we can travel. We have a Toyota 4Runner. What kind of bait will they be hitting in Sept? I know in DE and Md, they change their eating habits with the seasons. Thanks for your imput, frank
Old 07-16-2003, 07:17 PM

eels are running out of freshwater to the sargasso sea beginning in august. Live Eels are hot aug-october, and I recommend fishing from Chatham north to Provincetown if you are headed to the cape with fishing in mind.

What the hell is a Pirke Jig?
Old 07-18-2003, 10:28 AM

Thanks Pirke. Okay, I'll bite, what is a Pirke Jig? fl
Old 07-19-2003, 12:25 AM

I was at the beach one day and an old guy is fishing with a crappy rod, mitchell 300 that was about to fall apart, and was pulling out bass after bass, and I had to walk over and ask him what he had that I didn't. He said "pirke Jig", I Guess its a danish word for jig or something. I asked him "what the hell is that" thinking I knew a thing or two. He gave me a dozen of them, New in box. they are 1.5 oz metal with a slight "s" bend but kind of like a roberts hammer or deadly dick when casting.

Ever since I started using them, I catch more fish than the guys next to me. people ask what I am using, I say "pirke jig" and they ask me what that is.

FYI, it turns out it is a BLINK EMMINENT jig, a danish metal lure, Pirke must mean jig. I gave a bunch away to people who asked me about them at plum island and down the cape, now I am down to 6 left, and cursing myself and wishing I didn't pass them on. I would like to buy more if anyone has got them. I keep trying ebay and no luck.

Old 07-21-2003, 10:25 PM

Yeah, I've got them Pirke, and no you cant buy them. Nice metal, you described it as if it had no taper. It looks a bit like ET the extra terrestrial with an s bend. Fat head, thin neck, and the classic norwegian styling where the lure is fatter at the rear. The only problem I have with the jigs are the hooks arent for saltwater and rust out quick. So I swap the hooks out. But I am low on these lures, and they are out of production, so you can forget swapping either. Anyone got a mold? maybe pirke will part with one of his precious jigs temporarily so we can all get them . JK - nice jig, I will agree.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:48 PM

hey bob, how about we use one of yours in the mold? FYI the hooks are fine if you rinse the lure off.