Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:35 AM

Default What are the things you WISH you would have done?

Fishing, life career?

Like in ny case I got out of college with a degree in Marine Biology. I was going to work in research and maybe try to eek out some sort of a life in and around the water. Maybe figure out a better way to grow clams.

Out of nowhere somebody offered me a banking job doing math and computer stuff with good benefits so I took it always thinking I'd come back to a job on the water. Never happened.

along the way I discovered I really really liked surfcasting and I pretty much dedicated my time to it. I declined requests to do anything else for years like fish trout, offshore etc. I was always afraid if I took a week off to do something else I'd miss a bite.

Then in the surf I wished I would have fly fished more. I always fly fished a lot, but there were many many many nights where I really didn't need to catch that 15th fish on live eels. Not so much a regret as possibly a missed opportunity. Now I fly fish 90 plus pct of time and tons happier than I was then.

Anyway those are my Friday morning ramblings.

Love your own thoughts !
Old 07-29-2017, 04:07 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: What are the things you WISH you would have done?

Your question generates a lot of thought. I did a lot of things that were very right from having a lot of kids early to college late to retiring at age 51. I think I might have benefited by having a summer place in RI. Its boring to mention that I wish I had invested more heavily in my early years. I am having few regrets other than knocking off smoking sooner than I did. But smoking cessation was the hardest thing I ever did. Great post.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:20 AM
SS/Veteran

Like John P, I wish I put more time into fly fishing the salt. I'm making it a resolution to do so. The guys I night fish with use fly gear exclusively. I fish beside them and alternate between flies and two types of spinning rod lures. Many nights I'm out fished by the fly only guys. Occassionally the fish are a little further out and spinning is more advantageous. I also wish I'd tied more flies every winter... I only sit down to do that twice a year when I "binge tie"

Career wise? I work in a medical/technical field...wish I'd learned a little more and been more aggressive with some aspects of it early on.

Wish I'd learned about investing, stocks, etc. 20 years sooner...they should teach that stuff in high school!
Old 07-30-2017, 03:42 PM
SS/Veteran

"Wish I'd learned about investing, stocks, etc. 20 years sooner...they should teach that stuff in high school!"

I too waited too long to invest in the market because I was afraid to take on risk. By stowing my grub stake in CDs I missed out on a fortune in solid income that would have dwarfed the safe money in CDs. Joyce and I have done okay but we were too scared the early years. Oh, we had some early successes -- Newport Electric, which we sold back on a tender offer that doubled our money. CMS Energy which doubled while paying a dividend, but why didn't we buy more CMS? We subsequently bought a 1/4 million but had we done it sooner, we could have moved into the Hamptons with Martha Stewart and posted our stretch of beach

Joe Lyons, a way back member once said: "Once poor, never rich."
Old 07-31-2017, 12:49 PM

I was a big investor and plowed money into stocks. So now my kids are in college. They don't qualify for any need-based money, so I pay full freight.

My wife was commenting on something related last night. She talked about how we used to drive to the beach at night and she'd sleep in the truck and I would fish. She remembers when we bought my truck many years ago I asked the salesman to put the seats down and then we both got in to see if we could sleep with our feet stretched out.

We could!

So we saved a lot on motel rooms! But it was equally important to be on the beach as much as possible so that I could keep a tab on things.

It was rough but she reflected how it was actually a lot of fun...that was before kids.

She wants to get back to doing more stuff like that when the kids leave the nest.

I hope to have a bunch more Fly outfits by then.and I recently bought a small Vise for tying on location.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:10 PM
SS/Veteran

For flies, we rely upon only a few patterns that are proven fish getters -- black velvet eels, grass shrimp, juvie crabs which are about it. I tied all my life but for stripers, I buy both shrimp and crabs because the pro tyers do a nicer rendition. No regrets fly fishing for stripers because I started fly fishing for them around 1967.

I wish I would have gone salmon fishing in Iceland. But when I was young enough to do it, we didn't have the money. It was about $10,000 per rod week back then. Today ten Gs is nothing but am so old that I can't even pull my pants down
Old 07-31-2017, 01:50 PM
SS/Veteran

Should have not lost that telephone number of " what's her name " I met at the beach party in the Hampton's 1977 .
Old 08-01-2017, 11:05 AM
SS/Veteran

Hook, I met her also and she said you were b-o-r-i-n-g, that you drolled on her shoulder.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:32 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Hook, I met her also and she said you were b-o-r-i-n-g, that you drolled on her shoulder.
ah ah Ha Ha
Old 08-01-2017, 06:05 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I have several things I wished I might have done differently over the years.

Pertinent to this site, I wished I had discovered fishing a bit earlier in life.

Check that.

I wish I had discovered a passion for fishing earlier in life.

I really started fishing with any degree of passion as kind of a mid-life crisis, even though I had enjoyed more casual pursuit of it since a young boy, catching sunnies and cat's at the local pond... "Tommy's Pond" if you care.

It wasn't until my brother introduced me to fly casting (never had been exposed to fly gear in my life to that point) that sort of triggered a cascade of events leading me to a new found joy in fishing.

Life events have hindered checking off some things from my fishing "bucket list", and in fact I will never get to do everything I once had listed as "must do's"... but all in all, lots more ahead.

Again, just wish I had gotten started a bit earlier.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:52 AM

Here's a bit more of what's partially behind my original question

Met a guy who gave up an office job and now he grows oysters. It was always a hobby for him but over the last 15 years he's been at it full force. I'd say he's about 55-60. He's out there every morning at the dock with his coffee planning the day and brokering his mature oysters on one phone ...and buying seeds on the other. He's got about 3-4 youngish guys doing the heavy lifting. He says he's got as much demand as he can grow and there's now a demand for "signature oysters". That means a fancy restaurant wants a special strain just for them and they want exclusive rights to serve or market them. Yes it seems they are willing to pay a premium. He fishes a stupid amount when he's not doing oysters

Another bunch of guys run big boats for rich guys. They have their captains license but they don't bother with day in day out charters unless it's for the uber rich guy and his family or friends

The uber rich guy usually has a 50 -60 plus a small boat of about 25-30 ft for inshore. So these guys have to keep two boats running and ready 24-7. They work in places like Montauk or Cape Cod or Martha's in the summer and take the boats to Florida and work down there in the winter. Here again out of the guys I really got to know who are doing this, nobody is regretting their life choices. Nobody looks stressed or needing money

Then you have working stiffs like me, with some money stashed away, and some freedom to fish, but that all takes place on weekends and I've got to be diligent with how I burn vacation days. Would I be happy in their shoes? Maybe. Or maybe I'd be stressing more about a 401k and medical insurance than they do

Fishwise, yes I've had my moments. But they can outdo me in a second with pictures of huge fish caught in exotic places on flyrods and everything else

I'd like to kid myself that fishing those places is on my bucket list, but not sure how realistic that all is.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:10 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

John,

In order to do those things you wrote, you need to (a) have the right personality and (b) run in to the right situation

For every one of those successful, non stressed, guys who do outdoor stuff, there are a bunch of others who get by, but will be stressed or flat out destitute when older due to poor planning.

Who knows? Frank managed to retire early and do everything he wanted. For me, I only know the path I've been on, and with it have been blessed with a great family and the likelihood of not being a burden on society or my family when I'm older (catastrophic health issues aside).

It's a good question, but I certainly don't have any regrets with respect to the life choices I made with regard to profession, even though I too have known or run into "those guys" that you mention.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:14 PM
SS/Veteran

I can't think of any one who got more out of life without stress than me. I do regret having smoked for 40 years and I think it screwed up my heart and lungs. But I have made it to 80 and deal with only minor health issues which are treatable.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
I can't think of any one who got more out of life without stress than me. I do regret having smoked for 40 years and I think it screwed up my heart and lungs. But I have made it to 80 and deal with only minor health issues which are treatable.
No doubt you've had it so good people buy books about it! Just saying.
My dad had it very good, he retired early, took a keep busy job, but he used to say "every day it feels like vacation"

I guess the other think I am trying to do more of is make an effort to meet new people who have a very different lens. Used to be I mostly talked to Surfcasters and the rest didn't matter. This year alone got to know some more commercial fishermen, shellfishermen, tons of boat people, a chef, a bunch more charter fishermen, and then maybe a couple bartenders who seem to know a lot about everybody's personal businesss : ) really helps fill in pieces of the puzzle.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Bartenders are armchair therapists. But I would never tell them anything that was secret. They remember everything you said about yourself and they tell everybody. I have known many bartenders and most are interesting guys. Latest one always says, "well, what did you shoot today?"