Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 10-24-2015, 03:18 PM

Default Re: October 2015 Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermanfreddy22 View Post
Fished 4-7:30 am landed 4 shorts all about 26-27in, a lot of weekend warriors at it. Saw a few fish caught. Some people have no respect, was fishing the spot since 4 am and some guy sees me land one and fishes at my hip for the next 20 min until he found someone else to chase who caught a fish...you have the entire beach no need to fish that close to someone
I ask them if they know how to swim. The answer is usually, yes, why?
Response is, cause you are about to get thrown in.
They usually get the point.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Like Rui said, sometimes when there on small bait like rainfish, thats what there keyed in on and there not going to chase a big plug. Y ou gotta match the hatch. And, btw, don't stand in the water, your stepping on the fish. Seen alot of guys last night doing it.
Hey Bay, clip on your teaser? Hemi does that too. Pros/Cons to the gallery
Old 10-24-2015, 11:13 PM
Patrick Cambria

My night consisted of non stop skates on bunker chunks. I fished two rods and could barely get both in the water at the same time with out a skate run off on the first rod. I was too lazy tonight so I just fished right in front of fisherman's trail.
Name:  2015-10-24 22.05.43.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  78.8 KB
Name:  2015-10-24 22.06.14.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  179.2 KB
Old 10-24-2015, 11:35 PM

Fished the hook yesterday from 6-9 pm. Had one fish on but spit the hook after the first run, felt like a nice fish. Just fishing a SP. That was all the action I had yesterday.
Fished today from 4 to 6 pm, found a nice little school of shorts, landed 5, all cookie cutter size about 22". One double header. Caught a few on rubber and a few on the teaser. Oh, and several hickories.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:48 PM

Fished IBSP tonight, 5-830. 1 short, somewhere around 24". Was originally throwing bucktail for about an hr, but since I have zero skill or confidence bucktailing, switched to a Storm shad. Fish took the teaser/pork rind. Then a ninja came out of no where mid cast and got me all kinds of tangled up and put a nice loop/knot about 30 yards in on my spool. I asked "where the eff did you come from?" and he mumbled something and then shined his mega bright light in my face while getting untangled, and then walked off. I seriously didn't hear him coming, and most ppl shine their lights the whole way out on the rocks, so usually know they are coming the minute they hit the rocks. This guy came out of no where! About 20 min later took a hard wave right to the jewels that also knocked me of balance, so decided that was quitting time
Old 10-25-2015, 12:13 AM
SS/Veteran

it must be close to Halloween, picked up 3 hickorys in a bass costume (young of the year) plus 8 hickory. All the hickorys and two of the bass on a teaser, the other on the shortie MagDarter. I guess it's good to see small bass around, knowing that the 15lb Blues in the spring didn't eat them all.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:48 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLBI View Post
Nothing wrong with using what we call 'the metallic loop knot' for local fish .... These aren't tuna in water with 20' visibility after all. I will say if I go for alibis ( and I missed the local shot of them we had down here last week though I did peek out looking for them mid-week, I heard they were 4 miles out by then) it's Floro direct to the terminal lure or fly only. But that's the exception. The only thing with a clip is it might affect the action at times.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Nothing wrong with using what we call 'the metallic loop knot' for local fish .... These aren't tuna in water with 20' visibility after all. I will say if I go for alibis ( and I missed the local shot of them we had down here last week though I did peek out looking for them mid-week, I heard they were 4 miles out by then) it's Floro direct to the terminal lure or fly only. But that's the exception. The only thing with a clip is it might affect the action at times.
We were on my boat the other week and had albies pop up. My rod was stored away on the other side of the boat. I quickly grabbed my friends rod. It had a heavy and short 1.5ft leader on it with a large swivel at one end and clip at the other end. Put on a 1.5oz deadly dick (and all the additional hardware that they require) and second cast hooked up.

I think retrieve speed, presentation and luck play a much larger factor than leader size or to clip or not.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:50 AM

Fished the surf again last night, had 3 bass hit my rain fish imitation teaser and 1 bass hit a mag darter.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:52 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

John,

Can't argue (much ) with success but if you've been on a picky bite, all things being equal, I'd still go with Floro and no hardware. But they are fish and don't ask my opinion about what they'll hit
Old 10-25-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
John,

Can't argue (much ) with success but if you've been on a picky bite, all things being equal, I'd still go with Floro and no hardware. But they are fish and don't ask my opinion about what they'll hit
I'm obviously outside the "normal" when it comes to albies. When I target them with "proper" fluoro leaders and small metals they just frustrate me. I need to fish for other species in order for them to join the party.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:35 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLBI View Post
One of pros of it is that you can change it up real quick, espically during the magic hr. Where I might have white while it's still a little light out then maybe olive then to blurple in the dark, or if I observe what type of bait is in the wash. The only drawback, I think, is that the teaser is not say tight to the line, it dangles, flip flops, whatever you want to call it. I think I have missed some hickorys, and who can't catch a hickory, because they hit it and it moved because it's not tight to the line. And, the other night had a small bass slip the teaser out of the QuickClips while it was in my hand, I might have helped it during the release, but who knows
Old 10-25-2015, 12:05 PM
SS/Insider

Two of us plugged surf from 1:30 am til 8 am last night finally catching some bass. 15 bass between us with 4 keepers mixed in with the largest being 34 inches. Other fish were between 24 and 28 inches. Fish hit a variety of lures and teasers. Things died when it got light.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
One of pros of it is that you can change it up real quick, espically during the magic hr. Where I might have white while it's still a little light out then maybe olive then to blurple in the dark, or if I observe what type of bait is in the wash. The only drawback, I think, is that the teaser is not say tight to the line, it dangles, flip flops, whatever you want to call it. I think I have missed some hickorys, and who can't catch a hickory, because they hit it and it moved because it's not tight to the line. And, the other night had a small bass slip the teaser out of the QuickClips while it was in my hand, I might have helped it during the release, but who knows
I'll add the following: I use the twisted dropper loop with a barrel swivel twisted into it. Then I put a small TA clip on the barrel swivel. I switch back and forth from lights to darks and from redgills to hair. When I need more distance I take off the redgill and put on a hair teaser, if even more distance is needed, I'll unclip the teaser completely. It's also very convenient when the blues invade and you don't want to be messing with a double header, I'll just take off the teaser. As a last resort, I have even cut off the dropped loop and continued to fish the leader for the rest of the session. Never had the leader fail after cutting off the dropper.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Two of us plugged surf from 1:30 am til 8 am last night finally catching some bass. 15 bass between us with 4 keepers mixed in with the largest being 34 inches. Other fish were between 24 and 28 inches. Fish hit a variety of lures and teasers. Things died when it got light.
Nice work Mike!