Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Wicket Tuna?

Yesterday we watched five hours of "Wicked Tuna" reruns on the National Geographic channel that was kind of entertaining. We loved the big $20/pound payouts they got for the fish which amounted to many thousands of dollars. Reflect upon this form of rod and reel commercial fishing. Of course over in Fiction they call selling fish "greed".
Old 03-13-2017, 12:19 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Wicket Tuna?

Nice show .
Popular TV entertaining shows have way to many commercials , when you DVR the show then play them back you get about 12 minutes per 1/2 hr show . Can't sit there anymore been to the town a few times lovely, charming , good food great people .
Old 03-13-2017, 01:31 PM
SS/Veteran

Isn't it literally the definition of "Johnny Grab That" fishing?
Old 03-13-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
Isn't it literally the definition of "Johnny Grab That" fishing?
Yes, but it is money fishing. They are trying to catch the fish and you do see some good camera work. The elements of what fishing really is all come up: hooks are pulled, fish are caught, harpoons are thrust. They unload fish at the dock and there are measurements of what is going to be paid. It is, as I l pointed out in my books, being paid to play. I relate strongly to what they are doing to what we did back in the day.

Money fishing can be exciting. I look back 40 years ago where we salted $50,000 fishing, never spending a nickel of it. How many times did that money double what with 12 percent interest rates for many years? (We once had a 16% CD which left 12 percent after taxes.) That 50Gs doubling four times would have to have doubled to 3/4 million dollars by the time I retired at age 52; and it is still doubling! We didn't have to pay for a boat. You wonder why I get horsed when I see them drop a $10,000 fish on the deck? "Chris, grab that."

At the dock the company does not ask about your skill or lack there of. The tuna pays the same money for fish caught by googans as fish caught by experts.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:02 PM
SS/Veteran

Years ago now I was on a six pack charter with friends. We were fishing of course for stripers and on my turn the Captain said something to the mate Henry. Henry gave me the big elbow and said "get back". He cast the largest lure I have ever seen about 2 feet long and out of nowhere came a harpoon that Moby Dick would fear. This all lasted a minute or two as the big Tuna spead by taking the lure that I later learned cost $40. Of course I had to ask later what do us 6 people get if you catch this fish on our alledged time. He said "maybe a free trip".
I did not pursue because I knew the Japanese pay big dollars for a Bluefin.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:42 AM

Big money is always going to be an issue. The guiding, chartering, for hire issues are always going to be in the mix. I have seen some poor things while others are worth every nickle.

More to the original subject we enjoyed "Wicked Tuna" because it was actual fishing done in a professional manner. The money aspect really juices it up. Paid to play....
Old 03-14-2017, 08:47 PM
SS/Veteran

It is impressive to see a primitive boat with only a captain and mate outfish the big luxury boat with double the crew. When they fish North Carolina using the long line it always reminds me of the single crew boats and I remember one year when one of them failed to return to dock they found his boat still circling and recovered his body and the tuna that resulted in his death.

He got entangled in a line and was pulled overboard. The fish was sold at market and the proceeds were given to his family. They film long enough and they will be like the Alaska crabbers, will eventually film a tragedy.

Doug
Old 03-15-2017, 11:33 AM

No question but that a lot of the "fishing" in the show is amateurish. For instance, they harpoon tuna after the fight which requires the harpoonist to see through the surface glare in order to "iron" the tuna. Suitable vision through the surface glare is mandatory. Were it my boat I would require each crew members to wear Polaroids, not just plane sunglasses which do not work. With that kind of money at stake there is no room for incompetence. You are talking thousands of dollars here where these guys have to bring home money to their families.

Still, I don't watch Wicked Tuna to rule on their methods. For me it is just entertainment, fishing. I would never permit dogs all over the decks either. Not the tuna police, I like the show.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:28 AM

I have been a WT fan for years. I don't understand something....they fish for days and don't catch a thing, but as soon as they play what my wife and I call the "hook up music" they hook up and yell "we're on! We're on!" My question is, why don't they play that music that makes the fish hit more often and catch more fish???
Old 03-27-2017, 11:48 AM

I give Wicked Tuna a lot of slack because it is a show, an entertaining one at that. It is so rare to find a fishing show that I am happy for anything I can get. Sure, I roll my eyes a lot and see a lot of things which trips my BS meter but its fishing and I love watching fishing. The money aspect heightens the level of drama and the producers know it. The scenes at the dock where the buyer samples the fat content before coming up with a price, I really get horsed. I know a lot of Internet trolls view selling fish as a manifestation of greed. But these guys are trying to make a living while providing a valueable and popular service -- food.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:34 PM

I have fished with Dave on tuna.com a few times. This was before the show. he was suggested to me by a couple guys back home as Dave is a New Jersey native. I caught a tuna over 500 lbs with him along with some nice striped bass another day. Dave is a very nice guy and a good fisherman. His crew at the time which consisted of Sandro and Paul were also top notch.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:58 PM

I can really relate to those guys because there are two things involved -- the fishing, and the money challenges which present themselves in life to everybody. I lived that years ago, even wrote two books about it. When you are at the dock looking at the scale and working the value of your catch in your head, there is great excitement and sometimes even disappointment. Two things: first you have to love fishing; second you have to need the money. I'll tell you when I am foraging around the channels looking for entertainment, I stop at "Wiked Tuna".

Great to hear about your experiences with those guys.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:40 PM

Speaking of tuna, in the 1950s, when I was still in high school, the P-town beaches had a run school tuna that used to peel plug casters out for stripers. Apparently a few tuna were caught, actually landed, but most would run the surfman out of line before the line broke. Imagine landing an 80 pound tuna from the beach.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:07 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Speaking of tuna, in the 1950s, when I was still in high school, the P-town beaches had a run school tuna that used to peel plug casters out for stripers. Apparently a few tuna were caught, actually landed, but most would run the surfman out of line before the line broke. Imagine landing an 80 pound tuna from the beach.
...50mph. Even false albacore do over 40! In perspective, my old 15' Boston Whaler with a 70hp Mercury did 37mph.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:06 PM

I appreciate your input , but albocaore are sisssies when it it comes to bluefinn tuna when you talk about sheer pull on a fishing pole. (Wish I could say, firsthand that I that I knew the diff.) But in the days when yur uncles were doing this I was in the back seat of a '51 ford learinig what, at that time was to me important. Sure, I wish I had been there catching tuna but I had congugal interests when I should have been in p-town tunaering. Sh** happens a lot without you. You can't have it all and if you get in the action now and then be glad. Tine was when I lamented a missed blitz here or there then I came to realize -- phucik you can 't be everywhere. For instance, like them XXXXXs at Block Island that our Dennis has so nobly written. Evn Mister Smarty had a life that missed stuff.