Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 05-10-2017, 11:52 PM

Default Re: May & June Fishing Reports 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
Its a catch and release tournament, take a picture with your fish and the tag they give you. The fish may be any size to submit (ex: a 12" bass is worth as much as a 40" bass). Most points wins just make sure not to loose your fly. We time it with the bluefish run to keep things interesting.

3 points = weakfish
2 points = striped bass
1 point = bluefish

The winner was Joe Pheifer with 4 bass, 0 bluefish.

I don't like single strand as it can kink and break easily if the fish takes the lure/fly deep.

For a spinning rod I use 130# mono just because I already have it and its a safe bet if they take a metal deep or a second blue comes along trying to take it from the first bluefish's mouth.

For the fly rod I use 8' of traditional mono or fluoro tapered leader with 12" of 20# knot-able wire. It's a special multi-strand wire that is coated with rubber and can be tied with minimal curling. I seem to be able to get a few fish per leader before having to cut back and retie with the fly rod. It is sold under many different names (most popular is Berkley and AFW I believe).

I would not use it with a spinning rod as the heavier pressure we apply will break through the leader quickly if its rubbing against the bluefish's teeth.
John, Thanks Great job. YD
Old 05-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Senior Fellow

finally had some bigger bass move in; 2 weeks late here; after 130+ bass with one keeper had a nice 29-30in yesterday morning and with the snarky wind today we got some white water and some nicer fish; I had 4 bass incl a double header of a 28in and 25 in with some feisty blues mixed in; 5 guys early on the beach and about 12 bass came up with all 25-30 in; all on single hook Kastmaster with white teaser; and now we have a nasty storm coming in
Old 05-11-2017, 10:39 AM

Fished from kayak on Wednesday with couple of guys in Keyport area from 6am to 1pm...could not find any bass but the blues were there to provide the action...
It was an interesting day indeed...while bringing in about 15 or more huge blues I made a rookie mistake....as I was casting left and right I got a knot in my line about 10-15 ft behind the lure ...there was not time to work on the tangle in the middle of the action so I cut the line at the knot and started to pull the remaining of the line in by hand...needless to say that a blue hit that lure at about 10 ft from the kayak and as much as I wanted to hold on that power pro line with my bare hands I could not...it slipped and it was gone... was so upset with myself...a lot of blues will be having piercing in their mouth at the end of yesterday..at least 3 - 4 boats with 5-6 kayaks were working on that school for 2 hours...my 30# leader was shredded 3-4 time when 2 blues would be fighting to get that lure...but at the end it was a lot of fun
Old 05-11-2017, 11:12 AM

Several photos from the yesterdays trip....
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2017, 05:13 PM

Nice pics zoran. I missed them yesterday but found them today. After a slow start I released 31 at the boat and twice as many released themselves. A real blast with a bunch of good guys around. Thanks again Roger for the assist with the prop wrap. Mostly on any metal you threw at them
Old 05-11-2017, 06:11 PM

wow...31...Bill, you must be taking pain medication after this trip...it was a nice workout in any event
Old 05-11-2017, 10:42 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
wow...31...Bill, you must be taking pain medication after this trip...it was a nice workout in any event
Zoran, he can't respond, he's napping
Old 05-12-2017, 05:25 AM
take a kid fishing

Got out for two hours after work yesterday and RB was infested with big bluefish. We were okay with that

This guy had a deep cut on his side when he came in - not from us. What do you think did that?
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2017, 07:18 AM
SS/Veteran

someone gaff it & tossed it back
Old 05-12-2017, 08:27 AM

I had a chance to get to IBSP about lunch time yesterday. The front looked very quiet with guys holding down their folding chairs. I went back to the bay and the A team was there throwing poppers and pulling in a fair number of gator blues. Not crazy action, but a joy for me to see and help with. I found I'd left my chest waders home and so fell back on my hip boots, and mostly stood on the sod bank. I noticed that I was getting most of my hits, and the most aggressive and show ones about the same distance out as a lot of the guys were standing. Ended up with 5 fish up to 36" (skinny, though) and another dozen swing and misses.
Also, I christened my 10'6" steelhead rod throwing a 1.5 oz Atom popper. It was wonderful!
Old 05-12-2017, 10:14 AM

I would agree with the assessment that these blues are kind skinny ...long though...is this because the bunker is way down compared to last year?... I have not run into large school this year at all....what is going on?...
Old 05-12-2017, 11:09 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Not sure what your experiences are, but in general for any *new* school of spring fish, they will be thin... called racers.

Those same fish will be fat and happy by mid-summer when they go do the jiggy and when they return in the fall they will look like footballs.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:37 AM
take a kid fishing

Nobody gaffed it - not another boat in sight. The scales are also pulled off on a larger area around the cut. Probably by a seal looking for an easy meal while I had the fish on. we do see them into late Spring in the bay.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Senior Fellow

hit the beach early but fish were out of reach; had to get on the jetty to reach the big blues; incoming, good NE wind, fish off the SE corner of the jetty.....it was "sketchy" out there; but blues kept us all happy and occupied; lost two metals and saw another few metals plus two SPs and a darter go the way of big blue teeth...gotta respect them; only one bass; back at it tonite before the storm
Old 05-12-2017, 02:02 PM

I'm starting to see some fatter bluefish in the mix in areas with better bunker concentrations.

Monday night we had great bluefishing with about 3-4 stripers each mixed in for me & Rui...mix of 20-32" fish.

Tuesday night strictly bluefish and ridiculous crowds.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  136.7 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  199.2 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  140.8 KB
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  73.4 KB