Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 05-01-2003, 07:58 PM

I've been a fresh water guy my whole life, and recently got into salt water fishing. Just wondering when the stripers return to the Cape? I usually fish around Monomoy and National Seashore, but have also fished on the other side of Monomoy around Chatham/Harwich. Does anyone know when they usually return? I'm dyin ovah heah.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:58 PM

I've been a fresh water guy my whole life, and recently got into salt water fishing. Just wondering when the stripers return to the Cape? I usually fish around Monomoy and National Seashore, but have also fished on the other side of Monomoy around Chatham/Harwich. Does anyone know when they usually return? I'm dyin ovah heah.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:05 PM

Well the water first of all has to hit around 50. As of right now im saying give it a week or two before you really start seeing them. I do live in rhody and fish narr. alot, I got a hold of 2 small stripers recently.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:14 AM

Don't worry BobD, we caught 10 schoolies (with sea lice) in Chatham this weekend from shore. They are definately starting to arrive. Good Luck!
Old 05-06-2003, 10:32 AM

Thanks fishergirl! We're thinking of draggin the boat down and going out of Chatham this coming weekend. Will post back with results if we go.

Newbie question - does the sea lice mean that the fish have come from somewhere warm?
Old 05-06-2003, 10:58 AM

I was taught that sea lice means that they are migratory and not hold-overs. Good luck this weekend!
Old 05-06-2003, 07:07 PM

The presence of sea lice has no bearing on where they come from. Like ticks on a dog, fish will pick them up when the lice are around.

JayR
Old 05-07-2003, 08:01 PM

Hi JayR,

Quick question for you... You brought up a good point about the sea lice. I think you are right that fish pick up sea lice when they are around, however, I do think they indicate that a fish is migratory because they are coming from a warmer environment where the sea lice are more abundant. Explaining why in the spring, sea lice are often associated with migrating fish coming from warmer waters. However, I was wondering if in your experience if you have caught holdovers in the winter with sea lice, and in that case would prove my theory completely wrong (I usually don't fish much during the winter).
Old 05-07-2003, 08:49 PM

Can't say that I have. I think the lice like the same water as the stripers. I see lice from April through October. The striper I am catching during that time are not all migrating. In fact, I believe those fish I catch during the months of June, July and August are in fact summer residents just like me. They just inhabit the same temerate waters and that is why the fish carry them

Point of interest.... the lice love lobster too. Particularly injured ones. They do not migrate like the stripers. Not anywhere as far anyway.

Again, I think they are just like ticks and dogs. Go where the ticks are and you'll pick them up.

JayR
Old 05-12-2003, 10:41 AM

OK, hit the Cape this weekend. No signs of any big fish (maybe I wasn't in the right areas). But did manage to catch 7 schoolies and a huge mackerel in the break in Monomoy. There were a couple of other boats there too (fly fishing) and they were pulling up just as many as us as were the 2-3 fly fisherman from shore... Hopefully they'll arrive soon!

Spoke with a couple of guys who were fishing the jetty's on the Harwich/Chatham line, and they had caught a couple but nothing big.

Point of interest - driving around Monomoy, there were about 2-3 dozen seals on the beach and in the water - must be mating season.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:49 AM

Bass are in in numbers running the surf not large But a few in the Mix
bassless river has twinkies to and at night You can score a few on the Jettys in Between there and another river
The Blues Moved off the flats this week
Killed them and larger Bass 20 and 30lbs have moved in where I go.
The blues should be Hitting w dennis beach and if You got a boat they might Be around on lewis Bay on the side flats.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:50 AM

BTW the 1st push of schoolies to 33 34" came in Beginning last week
Old 05-17-2003, 12:52 AM

one more thing at the mouth of that run in Harwich, they Be eating mid Day on the out going and Ya only need to go half way and toss to the tip of the jetty on the other side
Old 05-27-2003, 11:52 AM

Caught a couple of small schoolies close to shore last weekend. When out a bit and the blues are all over the place. Managed to catch 2-34"ers and a couple dozen smaller ones. Where are the stripers?
Old 05-30-2003, 10:46 PM

Lice are more abundant down south, especially estuaries like the chesapeke. A migratory bass is swimming for days on end, they are less apt to shake the lice. When they get here and are feeding, they roll them off in the sand. Check out white perch in the chesapeke and you will know what I mean about lice. If a fish gets sick, and cant fight them off, they will kill them. I pick them off the bass with my hemos, XXXXXXX things crawm under the fishes slime coat.

What the hell is a Pirke Jig?