Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Delaware & Maryland

Fishing - Delaware & Maryland Delaware & Maryland Fishing Reports and Information

Old 02-22-2000, 02:12 AM
SS/Veteran

Saturday- We (my wife Barb, son Tommy and the dog) arrived there at 4:30 PM, a nice and warm (65 degrees) SW wind was blowing pretty good 20 knots and gusty. We fished that evening N of the Point for a few hours, little blacktip sharks were around mostly right in the first wave. The cold front came through with a quick shower, wind changed to the N 20 knots.

Sunday- With the wind howling from the N and supposed to go NE, we decided to go to Ockracoke but we got bumped off the 1100 AM ferry by someone (a resident or commercial) with a PRIORITY sticker. As we sat there first in line for the next ferry (noon) I decided to fish the beach next to the ferry, the north end of Hatteras inlet.

The low tide with the full moon was pretty strong, the flat areas just north of the inlet were really draining with the wind, still a good 20 knots, and tide blowing out. Further N was better, a nice steep beach and the right wind and tide to get a good look at what was out there.

After fishing the flats for about an hour, we moved to the steeper beach and a nice looking spot. At 2 PM, about dead low, she hit with an impressive first run.

Just as I thought that, she caught some current and with a thumb burning lunge settled in behind the last bar, about 200 yards out. I finally tightened the drag, told myself over and over not to touch that spool again, and began the battle.

At first it was basically a standstill with neither one of us putting a lot of pressure on each other. The first couple of times I backed her in a little she responded by running back out beyond the last wave. I finally got her near shore after about 15 minutes. A few waves later I had her beached about 150 yards down the beach.

As I dragged her fat striped bass back to the truck, I knew it was over 30, probably not 40 though. Tommy measured it at 44". Almost 34 lbs. when I got it weighed.

Small sharks and a lonely skate the rest of the afternoon, and small blacktips again that night at high tide.

Monday was supposed to be calmer but it wasn't. Even colder and wind blowing 15 knots NE. We took a look around the Point and headed home.
Old 02-22-2000, 02:12 AM
SS/Veteran

Saturday- We (my wife Barb, son Tommy and the dog) arrived there at 4:30 PM, a nice and warm (65 degrees) SW wind was blowing pretty good 20 knots and gusty. We fished that evening N of the Point for a few hours, little blacktip sharks were around mostly right in the first wave. The cold front came through with a quick shower, wind changed to the N 20 knots.

Sunday- With the wind howling from the N and supposed to go NE, we decided to go to Ockracoke but we got bumped off the 1100 AM ferry by someone (a resident or commercial) with a PRIORITY sticker. As we sat there first in line for the next ferry (noon) I decided to fish the beach next to the ferry, the north end of Hatteras inlet.

The low tide with the full moon was pretty strong, the flat areas just north of the inlet were really draining with the wind, still a good 20 knots, and tide blowing out. Further N was better, a nice steep beach and the right wind and tide to get a good look at what was out there.

After fishing the flats for about an hour, we moved to the steeper beach and a nice looking spot. At 2 PM, about dead low, she hit with an impressive first run.

Just as I thought that, she caught some current and with a thumb burning lunge settled in behind the last bar, about 200 yards out. I finally tightened the drag, told myself over and over not to touch that spool again, and began the battle.

At first it was basically a standstill with neither one of us putting a lot of pressure on each other. The first couple of times I backed her in a little she responded by running back out beyond the last wave. I finally got her near shore after about 15 minutes. A few waves later I had her beached about 150 yards down the beach.

As I dragged her fat striped bass back to the truck, I knew it was over 30, probably not 40 though. Tommy measured it at 44". Almost 34 lbs. when I got it weighed.

Small sharks and a lonely skate the rest of the afternoon, and small blacktips again that night at high tide.

Monday was supposed to be calmer but it wasn't. Even colder and wind blowing 15 knots NE. We took a look around the Point and headed home.
Old 02-25-2000, 01:03 PM

Way to go , Doug...

That's a LARGE no matter if you caught it in the OBX or on Cape Cod...

What was the surf water temperature down there?

------------------
Rumble Fish formerly known as Poppy ><>
Old 02-26-2000, 01:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Thanks Poppy.

Check out this Rutgers image http://marine.rutgers.edu/mrs/images...0.n12.gif.html
for last Sunday the 20th, it shows the temp just N of Hatteras inlet in the low 50's, just S of the point to the N beaches low 40's.

When we left Monday, 95.3 FM reported the temp at Duck pier to be 41, Frisco pier was 54!

The Critter Gitter was going down this weekend, today's image shows that green (50-55 degree) water up past the point now. I'm sure there will be some nice ones caught, if there are people fishing. Heck, last Sunday the three who were fishing at the mouth of the inlet left about noon, Tommy and I were the only ones fishing after that. It was a wind chill in the low to mid 20's but it didn't bother us Northerner's. That night the wind died and it felt almost like spring, especially with a large in the cooler.