Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Delaware & Maryland

Fishing - Delaware & Maryland Delaware & Maryland Fishing Reports and Information

Old 01-04-2000, 02:47 PM

Does anyone in your area fish soft Calacos for bass,
Old 01-04-2000, 02:47 PM

Does anyone in your area fish soft Calacos for bass,
Old 01-05-2000, 01:13 AM

Available crab baits in this area are blue crab peelers and soft crabs which work well in spring however herring is always the bait of choice. The last 2 fall stripers I kept both had Hard calicos in them so I know they eat them but have never seen them sold as bait. My 2 cents
FISH ON!
Critter Gitter
Old 01-10-2000, 11:50 PM

Dave, Here in Jersey we rake for Calacos. We pick up the crabs that are ready to shed, and put them in a tank, when they shed, and r soft we fish them, we also pick up the tinnies and softies when we rake. During the summer there is no better bait for Bass, around. Whats nice about them is that often the best time to fish them is mid day, the tide is the key, low incoming is always best for me. This year alone I picked up 50 fish in the first 2 weeks in July. If you can get them, try them
Old 01-11-2000, 12:42 AM

Wanna.........I'm wondering...what (if any) are the laws on keeping/raking for them. I agree that they are a big part of the diet.......dave remember last spring....the shells were everywhere THE weekend.

------------------
Gil

http://www.magpage.com/~gil/beach.html

gil@magpage.com

[This message has been edited by Gil (edited 01-10-2000).]
Old 01-12-2000, 03:24 PM

Do Calico Crabs = Speckled Crabs? (I think so).

You definately will never see them in Delmarva Tackle Shops.

I know a guy who uses them for togging (from a boat.) I believe he goes to the Cape Henlopen Pier and NETS them somehow.
Old 01-15-2000, 02:44 PM

As far as I know there are no regulations on the harvest of crabs, lets hope they dont start. If you are seeing calaco sheds on the beach then you are in a hot spot, get your self a rake, and start collecting. Just to start you can fish the tinnies and the softies that you get. In jersey we use a 2o hook, and tie them on with elestic thread. Make the presentation looknatural. Fish it on a fish finder. There is no better bait. I will bet that they will out fish cut bait and fish heads anytime. If you ever come to jersey let me know and I will set you up.