Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Delaware & Maryland

Fishing - Delaware & Maryland Delaware & Maryland Fishing Reports and Information

Old 01-12-2000, 01:52 AM

Have any of you ventured down to give it a shot lately? I just read over on the Saltwater Fishing board they caught a few big ones over this past weekend. I think I will give it a try this weekend.

Catchemup

[This message has been edited by Catchemup (edited 01-11-2000).]
Old 01-12-2000, 01:52 AM

Have any of you ventured down to give it a shot lately? I just read over on the Saltwater Fishing board they caught a few big ones over this past weekend. I think I will give it a try this weekend.

Catchemup

[This message has been edited by Catchemup (edited 01-11-2000).]
Old 01-12-2000, 11:53 AM

Yeah, I saw that report and it does not surprise me. But I think w/ water temps at 45 degrees and colder now for a month in the Maryland surf the chances are becoming less and less that the bigger fish, say 30"+, will be there... Sure, there will be an occasional keeper + taken in January and February in the Delmarva waters, but I think if the action is there it will be on the short side... Then again, you can not catch a fish unless you fish...

I may give the inlets a try this weekend, maybe even the beach...

------------------
Rumble Fish formerly known as Poppy ><>
Old 01-12-2000, 12:59 PM

What report? I looked couldn't find it.

Hey Poppy, I'll be hitting DE hard this weekend, beaches and ...gulp...slippery rocks(maybe). Keep an eye out!
Old 01-12-2000, 01:54 PM

Here are the links to the two reports. http://www.wmi.org/saltfish/reports/27142.htm http://www.wmi.org/saltfish/reports/27125.htm

Catchemup
Old 01-13-2000, 01:07 AM

Yea I read those but they were caught in 45 deg water after some warm days and onshore winds,
I was gonna go till reports calling for low teens Sat am which is gonna really cool surf zone down. Last time I went when it did that the surf temp was 39 day after Xmas and not a nudge but you gotta play to win.
Critter Gitter
Old 01-13-2000, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the links! I don't know how I missed those reports. I fished with Bill Pusey all summer and fall... I still have a picture of Bill and his 45.5" 34lb Red Drum on the wall in my office! Next to CG, Bill Pusey is my hero! I'm not ashamed to say!
Old 01-15-2000, 11:12 AM

Guys,

I know that I always kind of play hit and run on these boards, and you guys don't know me very well, but if you look at my post about Bill Schotta and Don Evans, you will realize that BIG fish are just south of you!

They were catching them from a boat, but had to keep backing up to keep out of the breakers! They said that they were seriously considering just beaching the boat, since they couldn't reach some of the nicer fish that were in the suds, but it would have been too much work.

The picture of Don't big one has the Fisherman's Island Bride in the background. as a reference. Inside Fisherman's island is the general area where the big ones were. They were feeding on sand eels again, so if you go, take long plastics with you.

And Guys, the time to get there is NOW! Who knows how long this is going to last? We have been hitting them every weekend since November, but the biggest fish have come in the last three weeks.

Today, the winds are only supposed to be 10 MPH and the weather should be decent. Several of my friends went down this morning.

I wish I could have gone, but I want to stay married! I'm with them in spirit, though!

Good luck guys! I hope you find them!

Respectfully,

TH

[This message has been edited by thill (edited 01-15-2000).]
Old 01-16-2000, 03:25 PM
SS/Veteran

Thill, those sound like the fish (size) that have been caught off VA and OBX beaches the last few winters. From what I've read, it's hard to predict if the coastal fish show up in the Chesapeake bay in the late fall but this year they were reported as early as mid-November!

The warm fall and winter have certainly rewritten the logbooks this season, I fully expect to see big migrating stripers off the Assateague coast by mid to late March as long as the warm weather stays around. Thanks for the great posts and pictures Thill.
Old 01-16-2000, 06:35 PM

Doug and others,

I just got off of the phone with the guys that went down yesterday.

Fishing in 11 feet of water, near Fisherman's Island in the AM, they got 15 stripers up to 25lbs and 40", which was Ken's biggest one yet.

They said that they saw some guys throwing from the beach in the AM, but they said that they only saw them get one decent one, but they weren't really watching them.

Could have any of you been there? They were in a 23' tan/maroon striped ProLine. Sort of a long, low boat.

The tide went slack, and so did the fishing. In the afternoon, they tied up to the CBBT between the 4th island and the high rise and when the tide got going, they had some of the hottest fishing you could imagine. A magnum Chug Bug was the hot ticket. Many, many fish in the 30-36" range were caught. They said that they felt good, because none of the fish were torn up by the trebles. They released all in good health.

I wish I could have gone, but I have to spend a LITTLE time with the wife on the weekends. Oh well, I think they will still be there for a while. They seem to be working further north every week. Before, we were finding most of them inside of the CBBT, but now they seem to be working up the coast a little. Go figure.

Good luck guys.

TH
Old 01-17-2000, 09:27 AM

Gee, the pictures are neat but I prefer being on the beach, as in surf fishing from the beach, am I missing something, or is this Striper Boat?

Just my opinion...
Old 01-17-2000, 11:52 AM

Nice fish pics guy... No idea where CBBT is though...south of the island??? Hmmm........any help rats?

------------------
Gil

http://www.magpage.com/~gil/beach.html

gil@magpage.com

[This message has been edited by Gil (edited 01-17-2000).]
Old 01-17-2000, 12:01 PM

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.