Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Delaware & Maryland

Fishing - Delaware & Maryland Delaware & Maryland Fishing Reports and Information

Old 12-20-1999, 12:20 AM

Assateague Sat 7am to Sun 2pm.
Watched Steve show us how to catch stripers Sat with light south then NE 10-15.
By Sunday Ne 20-25 and ripping current. Tucked behind some bars and could hold with 12 on short cast. I have not had a striper bite since November and my streak continues. Guess I'm holding my mouth wrong?
Poppy I could not resist and hit another hole after I left you but nada. Hope you got one.
State oceanic record still stands.
Merry Xmas
Critter Gitter
Old 12-20-1999, 06:07 PM

Fished Friday Night 12/17/99
1700 hrs. to 2330 hrs.
Water Temp - 50 degrees
Air Temperature - 50s, clear
Wind - variable 5 - 10 mph
North Rehoboth Beach & Roosevelt Inlet, DE

After last MondayÂ’s success I was really pumped about a repeat performance... Would luck and my hard effort pay-off again? Well, it has been feast or famine for me this year and since I feasted last Monday, I should have known that I would starve this time around.

I worked several rock piles along Rehoboth Beach and Roosevelt Inlet tossing out every trick in my surf bay including rigged eels. Six and half hours and hundreds of casts in three different places and not even a bump...

Fished Saturday night 12/18/99
1630 hrs. to 2200 hrs.
Water Temp - 50 degrees
Air Temperature - 50s, partly cloudy
Wind - northeast, 10 - 15 mph
Ocean City Inlet, MD

IRIÂ’s north and south jetties were out since the wind swung around to the northeast... I could have tried IRI inside, but decided on OC Inlet for no particular reason other than to find some fish...

Again tried everything including live eels–absolutely hate the slimy little snakes–in several of those little nook and crannies around OC Inlet. The BIG ZIP!

Fished Sunday 12/19/99
0430 hrs. to 1630 hrs.
Water Temp - 50 degrees
Air Temperature - 50s, mostly cloudy
Wind - northeast 25 + mph
Assateague Island, MD

After 2 previous nights of slinging lures and eels, my arms could not take another go-around. So, I decided to check out Assateague Island.

By the time I got out on the beach at 0430 hours the wind had picked up to 25 + mph and continued to blow relentlessly out of the northeast. It was high surf to say the least and with an approaching full moon in a few days, the current was ripping. Put my bait rods out and had trouble holding bottom with 12 oz. I was just north of that little jut at ramp 8 and the water was like a river moving south. Plugging was out of the question and I was too tired to throw heavy metal into the teeth of a northeast wind.

Met Critter Gitter and we both fished into the afternoon... We virtually were the only fisherman on the island today and I gave us both an A+ for effort, especially in light of the conditions. But that effort did not result in any fish...

Yeah, Dave I wish I could have reported “you should have stayed...”, but the skunk wanted to come home w/ me...it was a miserable day all the way around.

Based on my report of last Monday plus the reports of this weekend, it seems that big Linesides are still around in Delmarva waters... And like I and many others thought, the big fish supposedly had come and gone in November. Apparently not true... Its almost Christmas and water temps have been at 50 degrees for several weeks, yet we are continually surprised by the success of those few who put forth the effort...

Talking about those few...Steve Coleman–lets trade. I want your beach/bait secrets and I in turn will teach you my rocks/lure tricks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] What do you think? I can not master the larger Linesides on the open beach and you can not stick them good on the rocks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I may try IRI Tuesday or Wednesday night–weather permitting. I would just love to land a few LARGE under that Super Moon.

Next week OBX maybe...

------------------
Rumble Fish formerly known as Poppy ><>

[This message has been edited by Poppy (edited 12-20-1999).]
Old 12-22-1999, 02:25 PM

December 21st
Took a day off on Assateague.
10:00am - 3:00pm
Mean low to incoming tide.
Water temp 50 degrees
Air Temp 45 degrees
1 - 2 foot chop
NE to N wind 10 - 15 mph

Fished Assateague with Bill Pusey.

Nothing, crabs were relentless. I had to rebait every 10 minutes or so. We fished 8, 9 and 10 nothing.

Bunker, Mullet and Blood worms... just crabs.

But it's great to be there!

Happy Holidays my salty compadres!

[This message has been edited by D Powell (edited 12-22-1999).]
Old 12-23-1999, 12:13 AM

Dave, Those were probably "Baltic Isopodes" a kinda sea lice or something not crabs. I was recycling Fish heads and they fell off into my cooler. Steve did the research last year when he first saw em popping out of his bait fishing 45 deg water.
They can consume a bait in seconds. About half in. long ,tan with black eyes.
Remind me of a minature armadillo.
Old 12-23-1999, 02:46 PM

Yeah Dave,

I forget who initiated the original thread, but I remember he was down at the line and wondering what those grey creatures were...

Actually, I think it was more of the regular "feed me something surf boy" type crabs. You can pull in those little grey monsters and I didn't see any.

Merry Christmas big guy!
Old 12-26-1999, 11:11 PM

Insanity struck and I hit Assateague at sunrise. Pretty water' clean and south current. Surf was up. Was optimistic till I took water Temp 39 deg. Made a few casts and left at 10 am. If I were a striper I wouldn't be there either. Left Steve on the beach. Hope he performed his magic.
Guess my next post will be in late March
Happy New Years to all!
Critter Gitter
Old 12-27-1999, 01:23 PM

Sunday 12/26
Water was beautiful and SW wind at 25.
Air and water were both 39-40.

It seemed the bait was coming back colder than when it started.

Only fished 'till noon. No hits. Just cold!

Maybe IRI stripers like cold water, I may try that some warm Jan. night.

Merry XMAS to all.

Steve
Old 12-27-1999, 02:10 PM

Steve and Dave, I would have tried it myself this past Sunday, but I had personal obligations... Anyway, I am surprised that in less than 10 days the water temp. has dropped 10 degrees. Are you sure those thermometers are accurate? If the water is 40 degrees, then that might be it for the big cows in the surf. The smaller fish may be around in the surf, but the big girls allegedly will be out of there... Note, I said allegedly...

Now and through January, IRI will have Stripers, most of which will be small to just keeper size. But on rare occasion there will be a nice size keeper taken... In the past 5 years I have on a few occasions landed some nice keepers in January in Delmarva waters...

I am heading out today for the long ride to OBX... We are only going to fish for a few days and plan on returning Thursday. On the way back we will come up the coast and probably stop off at IRI or OC inlet. We just might wet a line or two...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Poppy (edited 12-27-1999).]
Old 12-27-1999, 05:16 PM

I was really demoralized by the 39 degree water temperature announcement.(sigh)

Frankly gentlemen, it doesn't have to be a Bass on my line (blasphemy I know) I'll take anything from the surf that does the fishy fishy shake!

Dave P.
Old 12-27-1999, 06:55 PM

So the water is a little chilly. What's your problem?

Actually, it blew me away too. I think that it really is that cold in the surf zone. Two different and very accurate thermo(couple)mometers measured the water temp.

The Rutgers site shows it at around 45 degrees, but it could be that it is not calibrated any lower than that yet, as the readings are on its lowest color. Also a possibility is that with the 25 kt SW wind the same water was moving laterally up the beach and thus achieved the air temp. Possibly it could have been warmer beyond the suds. But I don't think so.

I think that any large fish taken now will have to be wearing wool sweaters and scarves!
Old 12-27-1999, 09:52 PM

Oh, I don't have a "problem" with the water temps, I'll be fishing the beaches all winter - regardless. Just seemed the water temperature dropped in a hurry, that's all...

Sharon gave me a book this Christmas called:
Surfcaster's Quest - Seeking Stripers, Blues and Solitude at the edge of the surging sea.
By Roy Rowan

So far it's been a great read for me. Anyone else read it?
Old 01-03-2000, 01:53 PM

Fished Thursday night and Friday morning 12/30 & 31/99, 1600 hrs. to 2230 hrs and 0500 hrs. to 0830 hrs.
Water Temp - 44 degrees
Air Temperature - 40 to low 50s, partly cloudy
Wind - SW 5 mph on Thursday night and NE 10 - 15 mph on Friday morning
Indian River Inlet, DE

I wanted to close out the 20th century and my 30 years of Striper fishing w/ taking one more splendid Lineside from the sea and at the place that is home to many of us Stripermen in the Delmarva–IRI... I wanted it bad as I always do, but to do it on the cusp of the Next Age would have been real memorable!

There were only 4 of us on the east end Thursday night. Plug, Jim-DE, myself and another fisherman. For all our efforts, only 4 shorts... I went fishless both Thursday night and Friday morning...

So, it ended on a down note for me, but 1999 overall was good... The fish are still around at least at IRI in spite of 44 degree water, so get out there and try... Herring were in the inlet earlier in the week from what I understand, so the Linesides might be hanging around!

------------------