Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

There are only three reasons for a person to buy a fishing magazine or read a fishing web site such as StriperSurf.com, XXXXXXXXXXXX etc.
  1. Entertainment: the individual wishes to read an article that is interesting and enjoyable, even if is doubtful they will ever have the same experience. An example of this would be fishing for Black Marlin off Australia's Great Barrier Reef. I know that I will never do that but I would read about it!
  2. Education and Research: the individual wants to learn more about fishing, different tactics, new tackle, special techniques etc.
  3. Fishing Activity: This third reason is actually Number One, the reader wants to learn and/or confirm what the prospects may or may not be fishing within a certain time period.

There is a fourth reason but it is an "internet phenomenon", the web site's Message Board is a "virtual club" or at least a place to "hang out" and share a laugh or discuss just about anything.

With that being said which Message Board Forum do you think gets the most traffic? Well from Day 1 it has been the NJ Fishing Forum, followed by the Main Forum and Ask Frank Daignault. A second interesting statistic is that StriperSurf has always had very high readership online "Visit Time Numbers." A really good number is five minutes, an outstanding number is 10 minutes while StriperSurf's number has fluctuated between 12 to 15 minutes up until about three months ago when the number jumped to 18 minutes. Looking at the daily numbers the Average Visit Time are hitting anywhere from 20 to 25 minutes. It's because of the Fall Run and also because the membership has grown substantially in the six months.

I'm telling you this because every year, for five consecutive years the "Spot" debate is rehashed here and on other Message Boards. Let me give you my perspective in one simple sentence:

The majority of people who are adamantly against Fishing Reports that inform us of a successful day at a specific beach are those that are fortunate to live very close to the beach and/or have scheduled their vacation time for the Fall Run.

In effect this is a normal human trait and although the word selfish comes to mind the fact is that fishermen and hunters have guarded their "spots" for years. I make no secret of where I fish, I primarily go to Sea Girt, Island Beach State Park and cover a stretch of beach from Brick north through Mantoloking and sometimes into Bay Head. With the exception of the "Pocket" at IBSP I don't report precise spots or give out the GPS coordinates. In fact there are no more than three people on StriperSurf who know the EXACT spots that I fish regularly.

All of the areas, in fact the majority of the +120 miles of the NJ coastline are open to the public although some areas are more difficult to access than others.

If I was to write here on StriperSurf that we were slamming bass in Brick does that automatically mean that Brick will be "infested with googans"? My honest opinion is no, any "infestation" will be the result of local fishermen reporting their success to other local fishermen and the word will spread from there. The "googans," the guys you don't know, will come and check it out, they may hit it right or as is the case 99% of the time the phrase "…you should have been here yesterday…." will be heard many times.

The purpose of fishing reports is simply to give any reader a sense of the fishing activity in a particular stretch of shoreline. If a guy is traveling from Pennsylvania I don't think its improper to give him an indication through these Fishing Reports that he should, say forgo a trip to Island Beach State Park in favor of Sandy Hook, Union Beach. He can also pick up the telephone and call selected Bait and Tackle Shops covering all the northern beaches and get the latest information before he starts his trip.

In summary if someone posts a "spot" that you don't like, i.e. "Brigantine", please don't start a worthless argument and don't assume that anyone fishing at Brigantine the next day is directly because of the report. Assume only that the "googans" on the beach will be looking at you and saying to themselves, "Look another %$#@$% googan on MY beach!

If you are one of those fortunate ones that live near the beach or schedule your vacation for the Fall Run please bear in mind that you don't own Montauk, Sandy Hook, Island Beach, Long Island's South Shore or even one foot of the entire East Coast of the United States, it belongs to all of us.

Old 11-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

There are only three reasons for a person to buy a fishing magazine or read a fishing web site such as StriperSurf.com, XXXXXXXXXXXX etc.
  1. Entertainment: the individual wishes to read an article that is interesting and enjoyable, even if is doubtful they will ever have the same experience. An example of this would be fishing for Black Marlin off Australia's Great Barrier Reef. I know that I will never do that but I would read about it!
  2. Education and Research: the individual wants to learn more about fishing, different tactics, new tackle, special techniques etc.
  3. Fishing Activity: This third reason is actually Number One, the reader wants to learn and/or confirm what the prospects may or may not be fishing within a certain time period.

There is a fourth reason but it is an "internet phenomenon", the web site's Message Board is a "virtual club" or at least a place to "hang out" and share a laugh or discuss just about anything.

With that being said which Message Board Forum do you think gets the most traffic? Well from Day 1 it has been the NJ Fishing Forum, followed by the Main Forum and Ask Frank Daignault. A second interesting statistic is that StriperSurf has always had very high readership online "Visit Time Numbers." A really good number is five minutes, an outstanding number is 10 minutes while StriperSurf's number has fluctuated between 12 to 15 minutes up until about three months ago when the number jumped to 18 minutes. Looking at the daily numbers the Average Visit Time are hitting anywhere from 20 to 25 minutes. It's because of the Fall Run and also because the membership has grown substantially in the six months.

I'm telling you this because every year, for five consecutive years the "Spot" debate is rehashed here and on other Message Boards. Let me give you my perspective in one simple sentence:

The majority of people who are adamantly against Fishing Reports that inform us of a successful day at a specific beach are those that are fortunate to live very close to the beach and/or have scheduled their vacation time for the Fall Run.

In effect this is a normal human trait and although the word selfish comes to mind the fact is that fishermen and hunters have guarded their "spots" for years. I make no secret of where I fish, I primarily go to Sea Girt, Island Beach State Park and cover a stretch of beach from Brick north through Mantoloking and sometimes into Bay Head. With the exception of the "Pocket" at IBSP I don't report precise spots or give out the GPS coordinates. In fact there are no more than three people on StriperSurf who know the EXACT spots that I fish regularly.

All of the areas, in fact the majority of the +120 miles of the NJ coastline are open to the public although some areas are more difficult to access than others.

If I was to write here on StriperSurf that we were slamming bass in Brick does that automatically mean that Brick will be "infested with googans"? My honest opinion is no, any "infestation" will be the result of local fishermen reporting their success to other local fishermen and the word will spread from there. The "googans," the guys you don't know, will come and check it out, they may hit it right or as is the case 99% of the time the phrase "…you should have been here yesterday…." will be heard many times.

The purpose of fishing reports is simply to give any reader a sense of the fishing activity in a particular stretch of shoreline. If a guy is traveling from Pennsylvania I don't think its improper to give him an indication through these Fishing Reports that he should, say forgo a trip to Island Beach State Park in favor of Sandy Hook, Union Beach. He can also pick up the telephone and call selected Bait and Tackle Shops covering all the northern beaches and get the latest information before he starts his trip.

In summary if someone posts a "spot" that you don't like, i.e. "Brigantine", please don't start a worthless argument and don't assume that anyone fishing at Brigantine the next day is directly because of the report. Assume only that the "googans" on the beach will be looking at you and saying to themselves, "Look another %$#@$% googan on MY beach!

If you are one of those fortunate ones that live near the beach or schedule your vacation for the Fall Run please bear in mind that you don't own Montauk, Sandy Hook, Island Beach, Long Island's South Shore or even one foot of the entire East Coast of the United States, it belongs to all of us.

Old 11-04-2003, 12:16 PM

I dont run to the beach if a SPOT is posted, i just like to fish and READ of others experiences........always glad to read a report, bad or good.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:33 PM

THANK YOU BOB!!! That whole issue of proximity to the beach seemed to me to be where the line was drawn on the specific location report issue as well. Since I'm one of the guys that has to travel, I would always look to see what's been happening where. It doesn't really matter to me that someone does or does not post their location with a report, but without any reference at all, the report loses a lot of it's value to me. Maybe that's the intention. I never liked how some posters would admonish another for providing a more detailed report, or would suggest that false locations be reported, but it takes all kinds I guess. After a while, you get to know who's who, and who provides credible content of value.

Anyway, let me say that I feel no ill-will towards those that live close to the fish, and/or those that post locationless reports. I'm sure that means nothing to them, and maybe that's how it should be. Hell, in the big picture I'm envious......I wish I was one of them sometimes.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:12 PM

Everyone who has ever wet a line was a googan at one time or another. It's just a phase we all go through.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:33 PM

Fine reply, Bob.

I tend not to give too detailed a report, primarily because of how so many will get their panties in a bunch if I did. But then again, I report after I have left the beach, and I typically won't return for a week, so if I were to give a location, I wouldn't have to live with the consequences.

At any rate, you are right on point. The least we can do is be kind to one another, regardless of our positions on the subject. I recently posted on XXX that those who don't appreciate the revealing of location should send private messages to those who do, thus obviating the need for lengthy arguments on the subject. That, and nobody loses face publicly.

Keeping it clean,

Surf Cowboy

surf cowboy
Old 11-04-2003, 03:02 PM
SS/Insider

Great post Bob, ive been seeing this alot latley on other sites. because of the HOOK phenomenom..spot stealing

Im glad to be apart of your site even more now
Old 11-04-2003, 03:58 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

I posted this here in the NJ Forum becasue it gets the most readers.

This topic was also posted in the Main Forum and is getting the most "discussion" there.

May I suggest you go there and add your comments to that thread.

Thanks,

Bob D'Amico

[This message was edited by Bob D'Amico on 11-08-03 at 11:25 PM.]

Closed Thread