Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 09-26-2000, 10:25 PM

when buying live eels someone told me not to put them in a bucket of (salt) water because they would drown.they come from the ocean so what am i not getting here?!
Old 09-26-2000, 10:25 PM

when buying live eels someone told me not to put them in a bucket of (salt) water because they would drown.they come from the ocean so what am i not getting here?!
Old 09-27-2000, 01:24 AM

If you put the eels in water they ae not dying from drowning. What is happening is they are suffercating. The best way to handle the eels is to place them in a bucket that has small hole drilled in the bottom if it put the eels in it and then place some weed in with them to retain the moisture and place a small baggie of ice on top of the weed the cold will calm them down if you are gong to place the bucket in the back of a car just place one bucket in side the other
Old 09-28-2000, 11:17 PM

Not only that, but believe it or not, they do(if I'm not mistaken) breathe air. I have kept eels alive for days. So long as I kept them cool and rinse the bucket once or twice a day. The important thing to remember is to keep them moist. Even with a small amount of water, they will drown in their own slime. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Gary Boudreau (edited 09-28-2000).]